Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 Post-Op - Some Questions

Hi all, I'm brand new on here. I had my sleeve done on August 6th, 2012 (Monday). While in the hospital on Monday and Tuesday it was hard for me to keep anything down, even just Water. Wednesday, I had some better luck, but not a ton. They discharged me from the hospital today, Thursday, and I immediately tried getting a small amount of Protein down, no sugar added carnation instant Breakfast. It stayed down for about an hour before coming all back up- each time I have stuff come up it is basically 4 oz, which is the size of my sleeve. I had a Protein Drink stay down for 2.5 hrs and the. All come up... Not drinking in between bc I will just fill up and everything will come out! I have no idea if this is normal?!? Also, I have a very slight temperature of 99.5. I'm nervous! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to VST! Im sorry you are having some issue The temperature at 4 days post op is normal. However, my doctor told me of mine went above 101 degrees that was not normal and I needed to contact their office Not keeping anything down is not normal. You will get dehydrated and end up back in the hospital. I would suggest you call your doctor first thing tomorrow morning. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Abby - did your surgeon give you a post-op diet?? First thing is that you should not already be drinking Protein drinks and carnation breakfast. I know all plans are different, but most usually consist of a full week of Clear liquids (broth, Water, gatorade, popcicles, jello) but not FULL liquids like Protein Drinks and carnation, etc.

Just saying this may be part of the issue as your sleeve is very delicate at this point and not ready for full liquids. I am on day 6 post op and will not have my first full liquid until Saturday. Please check with your doc to see if this is what he recommends you to be having at this point.

When I was released, I was told to sip tiny sips throughout the day. I tried not to take in so much at one time. Also, were you discharged with any ppi's for acid? I drank small amounts- no more than 1 oz. every 15 minutes to focus on keeping smaller amounts down rather than for ing myself to meet a Fluid amount each day.

Definitely call your doctor as well. You could become dehydrated if this continues. Good luck!

According to my doctor's plan I am supposed to be drinking Protein already. I am supposed to be either eating (Jello or yogurt...) or drinking every single hour, but I can't even fathom being able to do that.

Thanks for the info about the increased temperature, it will help me relax more between now and 8am when I call them. I do NOT want to spend more time in the hospital because I'm dehydrated. I need to figure this out!

Yes, you do as dehydration is the number 1 reason people end up back in the hospital.

Hang in there girl. It can be rough in the beginning. You will live your sleeve once you get through the early healing stage you are in now.

I agree with made2beme, I think you shouldn't worry about Protein right now. Just worry about sipping Clear Liquids around the clock. My first two weeks I was on the "clear liquid diet" so that meant Decaf iced tea, Water, calorie free Vitamin waters, gatorade, crystal light, low sodium chicken and beef broth, and toward the end of the two weeks I enjoyed a few popsicles.

I didn't start with the Protein shakes until 14 days post op. Call your doctor or surgeon's office tomorrow and ask them.

Your biggest enemy right now is dehydration, so focus on keeping clear liquids down. Your body will take what it needs right now from your fat reserves while your stomach heals.

Oh yes, just to add a little something--ultimately you need to do what your sleeve wants. Even if your diet plan tells you you should be able to eat x, y, and z every hour, if your sleeve isn't up to it yet, then don't push yourself!

It will all work out in the end--just stay hydrated!

My Md and Nut both gave me a guideline to make sure to avoid dehydration as much as possible. The rule was to try to drink 4oz of fluids every hour. We're so used to gulping down all our drinks that this seemed silly to me at first. Try to slow down and take it easy on ur system. Alternate what you're taking in too...that helped me stay on track. Good luck and keep us posted...

I agree with made2beme' date=' I think you shouldn't worry about Protein right now. Just worry about sipping clear liquids around the clock. My first two weeks I was on the "clear liquid diet" so that meant Decaf iced tea, Water, calorie free Vitamin waters, gatorade, crystal light, low sodium chicken and beef broth, and toward the end of the two weeks I enjoyed a few popsicles.

I didn't start with the Protein shakes until 14 days post op. Call your doctor or surgeon's office tomorrow and ask them.

Your biggest enemy right now is dehydration, so focus on keeping clear liquids down. Your body will take what it needs right now from your fat reserves while your stomach heals.[/quote']

Good point. I was allowed any liquid for 3 weeks postop. I didn't drink the Protein Shakes in those 3 weeks simply because they tasted way too sweet and didn't feel good on my tummy. Maybe.concentrating on clear liquids right now is best. Definitely call your doctor though in the morning and get his/her advice.

A HUGE Thank You to everyone that responded! I will just concentrate on Water this evening and give them a call in the morning. Anyone have trouble with an increase in saliva? I just keep spitting it in a cup... But I'm worried this is doing two things 1. Speeding up possible dehydration and 2. Filling up my sleeve to the tippy top, making me spill everything in there!

I'm on a ppi and I have anti nausea meds but I don't feel sick before I get sick...

Hello, positive energy your way. What help me was having someone bring me a large cup of crushed ice from a circle k/gass station. Thus is what saved me. A spoon full of crushed ice every five to ten min. I also had a fever. Mine was 101.5

I took liquid tylenol. I did not take pain meds once I got out of the hospital sine I believe they made me sick to my stomach. Hang in there. My email is

toniaiso@gmail.com if you have mire questions.

Hi! I was also sleeved Monday. I'm not supposed to have any Protein Drinks until day 7, so maybe you're trying to soon? I can have full

liquids starting today, clear before that. Mushy food starts day 14.

Warm Decaf tea goes down well and stays down.

had same issue .. was unable to hold down even water.. in my case i got dehydrated and ended up in the ER.. to be on the safe side i would get checked right away.. and i agree on the Protein main goal right after surgery is staying hydrated drinking Water taking in fluids ... so def call your doctor.. I'm 4 weeks out and eventually it will stay down.. baby steps baby steps.. good luck