Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last night I really thought about my original reply and I think I have to be more honest with myself and with others.

How I really feel. I did feel hungry with the band all of the time. I also have to agree with TimetobeFree, " I was teetering on too tight and just couldn't eat. I would randomly get too tight months and months after a fill."

Maybe it is a denial thing for me. I don't know what the sleeve feels like yet. (I am getting sleeved on September 17th.) However, I can tell you this after I really reflected last night on why I decided on revisioning to the sleeve...I am tired of the issues that I have experienced with it. I am tired of people looking at me like I failed at the weight loss surgery. I am tired of knowing that I have this thing inside of me that is damaging me everyday. I am tired of feeling my port and being uncomfortable, if i slept the wrong way. I am tired of going in for fills and being poked a bunch of times because my port is not easy to find. I am tired of running back to the surgeon's office the next morning after a fill because I couldn't swallow my own saliva. I am tired of the band.

So, while I try not to steer anyone away from being banded, because this has to be a personal decision that is right for that person, for me...THE BAND IS THAT BAD!

Sorry for the delayed moment of clarity from my original post. I think the denial stage is over and I am just outright angry about what I have put myself through for the past 5 years. I am just hoping that live with the sleeve will be easier.

Wow, thank you for your honesty. I hope your transition will be a great one.

The band was that bad for me. No matter how tight or loose it was, I vomited and choked every night. I would wake up covered it puke, I was refluxing in my sleep severely. I didn't have a slip either. I would quit eating or drinking 2 hours before bed, and it still happened. I couldn't eat much of anything, unless it was buried in sauce or gravy. I hated every minute of it.

The band was that bad for me. No matter how tight or loose it was, I vomited and choked every night. I would wake up covered it puke, I was refluxing in my sleep severely. I didn't have a slip either. I would quit eating or drinking 2 hours before bed, and it still happened. I couldn't eat much of anything, unless it was buried in sauce or gravy. I hated every minute of it.

Yes, I went through the same thing as you before being unfilled. I am still banded and seeking another alternative. My Dr. wouldn't unfill me no matter what I was telling him about it. He said that I was where I needed to be. I was in pure hell when I went to bed. I couldn't even take a nap during the day. Now I'm worried about regaining. The hunger or should I say the desire to eat is uncontrollable for me. I have to do something. I've developed a huge upper belly and pain near the port area at times.

The sleeve has actually been around much longer than the lap band.

It used at least as far back as the 1970's as a first step for RNY candidates that were too heavy to safely receive the full surgery. It's been done abroad as a stand alone surgery for quite some time.

Unfortunately it is only recently that the U.S. has chosen to recognize it as a stand alone surgery.

If you research early RNY you'll find several patients that after the first step(the sleeve) was so successful, they opted to not go through with the rest of the procedure.

The sleeve, on its own, has not been around longer that the band, approximately 5 years. The complete surgery including re-routing that included the malabsorbtion portion. Doctors then found that success could be found without that portion and started to do just the sleeve portion.

I suppose it's debatable but here is a a little info I found on both....

History of the gastric sleeve

The earliest incidence of this kind of surgery occurred in the mid-1990s. Sleeve gastrectomy is a less common form of bariatric surgery than the alternatives, but is gaining popularity as it is also less invasive than a full bypass. Laparoscopic techniques were developed at the end of the 1990s and are now used as standard, since the complications and recovery time are generally lower.

Timeline 1986 First use of open adjustable silicone gastric banding (ASGB) 1990 (Apr) First use of ASGB in Europe 1990 (Dec) ASGB FDA-approved clinical trial started in the U.S. with the first patient surgery 1991 First ASGB workshop in Europe 1993 First laparoscopic adjustable gastric band used in Europe 1994 First LAP-BAND® System workshop in Europe 1995 LAP-BAND® FDA-approved clinical trial started in the U.S. with the first patient surgery in the United States 2001 The LAP-BAND® System is approved by the FDA for use in the U.S. 2005 My LAP-BAND® Journey online clinical support program is introduced to provide tips and trackers designed to help patients prepare for surgery and track post-surgery success 2006 Sales of LAP-BAND® System exceed 100,000 for the first time 2007 The third generation, LAP-BAND AP® System, the most advanced gastric banding technology is launched 2007 Sales leap to over 300,000 in the United States 2011 (January) 650,000 LAP-BAND® System devices sold worldwide1 2011 (March) The LAP-BAND® System is approved by the FDA for people with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least 30 kg/m2 with one or more obesity related comorbid conditions

The sleeve has actually been around much longer than the lap band.

It used at least as far back as the 1970's as a first step for RNY candidates that were too heavy to safely receive the full surgery. It's been done abroad as a stand alone surgery for quite some time.

Unfortunately it is only recently that the U.S. has chosen to recognize it as a stand alone surgery.

If you research early RNY you'll find several patients that after the first step(the sleeve) was so successful, they opted to not go through with the rest of the procedure.

I AM SOOOO HAPPY that you mentioned this. For some reason, a lot of people think the sleeve is a new procedure when in fact it is NOT! As you mentioned, the sleeve has been used for decades as the first step in Gastric Bypass/RNY procedures. Everything you mentioned is absolutely correct. Bravo!!!

I have the band right now and am probably going to get the sleeve. People ask me about the band and I will tell them honestly.

DO NOT GET THE BAND ! Here is my life since the band:

(1) Can barely eat in the morning when it's more important but can pig out at night.

(2) Turned to drinking more milk and smoothies and Soups because food would not go down.

(3) food got constantly stuck and had to throw up. This would happen sometimes after

ONE BITE OF chicken.

(4) Could eat crackers, Cookies and other junk food easily but healthy food would not go down.

(5) vomiting several times a day.

(6) significant pain when eating until I could throw up.

(7) random periods of extreme tightness to such a degree that I needed an "emergency" unfill

(8) lost only a total of 40 pounds which is less than 50 percent of my excess weight.

I am not the only one. do not get the band

thanks for all who posted, you have shed light on a lot of questions I have had for quite some time. I've been looking into the band for 3 years and decided maybe the sleeve instead, kinda glad i gave myself all this time to really get some feed back both negative and positive before I take the plunge:) I've never been to keen on the idea of the port and fills and sliming and all of that but bypass scared me to due to malnutrion and all of that so I think that the sleeve thus far is the best for me. Just wish there were more statistics for people with the sleeve who are longer out like 5-10years. The longest I've seen was 4 years out. again thanks

My band was a great tool to teach me to stop the abuse of food. I too was hungry, too tight, refluxed, slimmed and vomited. THAT was life with a band. I am revising to sleeve 9/6 since I've had mechanical failure again- the repaired tubing is leaking. I am converting to sleeve to maintain my weight loss-- offered by the surgeon and I feel like if I dont sleeve I will be a regain statistic. i am none too happy about self pay for mechanical failure twice. Sleeve wasnt an option at the time, its on the table currently and I'm taking it as I dont want to start over. My friends and family dont see the need for the sleeve since im "normal weight" -- healthcare in preventative terms works well. Im hoping my sleeve CAN be done same day and Im praying I have an easier go, less pain and fewer complications since my band got me ready for this next step. The band is a tool-- its not perfect-- given the choice I would opt for the sleeve the first go. I hope to never look back, have no complications, and embrase the mental and physical constant baby sitter and rule enforcer back-up of the sleeve that i had with my band--- its still about food choices and lifestyle choices- thats why its so hard.

I am thrilled most of the sleevers are happy-- seems to be a 7-14 day window to realize it gets better-- hunger is not my concern- after all i've been hungry for 6 years with my band---pain and complic's are my only worries..

Actually know people who had "ulcer surgery" in the 1950- 60's--- it was a sleeve they had--just not called that.

Good luck to all-- if your friend has a choice my recommendation is life-long, non mechanical device, one procedure----sleeve as your only WLS.

The band is a "bad idea"... I had the band for 2.5 years... I lost a total of about 40-50 pounds, started having vomiting and heartburn... Turns out I had lots of scar tissue around the band and my esophagus... including a kink in my esophagus... thus, band to sleeve surgery done on 8/9/2012. Almost 4 weeks post op and still no regrets...

As soon as my band was unfilled, I gained back about 20 of the pounds lost... food was good... weight gain was not... Strongly encourage others to re think the band....

My dad has had the band for 4 years and he weighs 15 lbs lighter since the band... Thats it! When i first decided that I wanted WLS i originally wanted the band but my dad told me not to get it and that it doesnt work. He thinks it has a design flaw and that its just too easy to eat all the crap he used to eat, i see my dad able to eat anything, just a gulp of Water and the food passes roght down! Of course its his fault that he didnt try, but the sleeve is better, you realy have no choice and success rate is way higher!

This is just crazy, I thought I was the only that felt like this. I just stopped getting fills because the hunger I mean I got full and then I didnt. I mean I would wake up and couldnt eat anything other days I could. Just recent has it gotten to where I couldnt eat almost anything I mean food just made me sick. Im so nervous now. Then Im not sure who made the comment about the guy who said his sister said its supposed to stay in forever, My Doctor, Dr. Hollis told me the same thing. He said this is forever and I was like well it has to work if it can stay in forever. Man I wish I would have came here to look in the beginning, I thought I did enough research before getting it but obviously not enough. I will be praying extra hard and long until November to see what if any damage has been caused by this thing. I should have know that entering a foregin object in my body was gonna cause problems. thank you guys you are very helpful and honest and I appreciate it!

I am struggling with a similar situation. My best friend and I decided to get lap band surgery. We went to the seminar and I decided halfway through that the sleeve was for me, she did not change her mind. We are both super supportive of each other even if we went with different surgeries, however, I really dont want her to get the band! She is scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks. I am afraid she hasnt done much research and I gently try to talk up my sleeve. She was so excited to hear how I am never hungry and said she can't wait to feel the same...I told her that wouldn't be the case with the band and I saw a flicker of uncertainty in her eyes. I suggested she talk to our surgeon one more time before her date and ask a lot of questions. He seems to really prefer sleeve over band but will ultimately do whichever you decide. I am hoping she will not get the band!

Hey CAROLC you should have your friend go to FXDF2008 page on here. She has her own picture of what that band will do over time, she had erosion so bad (well bad enough to me) that I cant wait to get this thing out of my body. I didnt imagine the damage could be that bad but it looks really bad and I would hate for another person who is unaware and couldnt not see what is being done to them by that horrible piece of nothing. Then to have to go through other surgery's for corrections the continues fills because of being to tight or not tight enough and gaining only to have the erosin taking place all that time. Eventually its gonna become life or death because her health will probably deterioate as i read most do and they have pain. I have pain now constant from my band which would happen then go away but now its everyday if im sitting wrong or laying in the bed wrong I hurt and I've been banded for three years now (i lost 50 and gained back 20). I didnt think about the revision until the pain started happening, and I didnt know anything of erosin or anything I wouldnt suspect it because my doc said its meant to stay in for life( thats so you can go along with that dum ****). I should have know I feel a little retarded that I wouldnt have thought logically that this thing would do damage being that god didnt put it there. IDK... I will pray your friend has a change of heart and you continue to encourage her to go the other way and the benefits. This is not a temporary lifestyle and she doesnt want to have to go through surgery twice I dont want to either but i choose me and she should herself too...Sorry so long :0)

I don't think the band is that bad. It worked for me until I had an incident. I lost about 130 lbs with the band in the first two years. However' date=' I kept up with my monthly fills and followed very closely with my surgeons. Unfortunately, about 2.5 years into being banded, I had a terrible stomach virus or food poisoning episode (I still don't know). I was never the same with the band again. I kept going back and forth to the surgeon for fills and unfills. I just never felt comfort again. Now I have managed to gain back 115 lbs.

I think the band works, but you have to be committed to going for fills. Also, it isn't always pleasent either, but we must ask ourselves, what kind of WLS is perfect. I am sure the VSG has its issues also.

One other thing to consider, I believe the rate of revision from Band to another WLS rate is much higher than the other WLS surgeries. (Don't quote me on that, but it just seems that way.)

My tentative surgery date for a revision is September 17th. I choose this revision because I know that restriction works for me and I wanted to avoid the hassle of fills, etc.[/quote']

Hi, the same thing happen to me . I came down with a illness 3yrs ago , I take a great deal of meds and because of that I have gain all the weight I lost (118 lb). My Dr said because my meds it is best I convert to the sleeve because no adjustment is working and I was band in 2005.