Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pcos Spironolactone Aka Aldactone

Hello my fellow PCOSers I was wondering if any you used this medication and what was your result with Spironolactone aka Aldactone I'm taking it for Hair growth on my chin not to grow as much

I have used the spironolactone and it did slow down the growth of hair, but not as much as I would have wanted it too. I am looking into laser treatments. I hear it can be effective with several treatment.

I used spironolactone too. It helped with my acne, but it did not reduce the hair growth.

I've also tried laser hair removal. I was told that if my Hair growth was due to a hormone imbalance that laser hair removal wouldn't be as effective. I had my entire body done. I have very little dark hair on my legs, genital area or under arms, but it did very little for my face.

If you do decide to go with laser hair removal, look for specials on Groupon. Be careful to chose a place that uses good lasers as they are not all created equally. Ask the clinic if they use YAG (darker skin) and/or Alexandrite (light / medium skin). The skill of the technician can make a difference too.

Thank you both for answering the hairs on my chin is getting worst as time goes on and I tried eletrolysis and didn't work and I went to a few laser places and they said the laser will burn my skin because ot too dark so I pluck wax or shave so it can look clean and sometimes I want to cry because I suffer a lot in the public with the nasty stares and the whispering and when kids start saying that I'm a man I hurts so much I'm sorry for rambling but the people that can understand me are people that are going through the same thing

post-25538-13813659484963_thumb.jpg

I use it. I have for almost 1 year with great results. I do still have light hair, but not the thicker black hairs. It also helped a great deal controlling sebaceous hyperplasia. I LOVE it. It took about 3 months to notice the hair difference, but after 2 weeks, my skin looked remarkably better.

I really feel for you. Maybe I should mention that I do not have a large amount of hair. It seems like a lot for me. I pluck about 20-50 darker or course hair each day. It may be why the spironolactone didn't do much for me. It has worked for others. I would definitely give it a try if I were you. Like SleeveMeUp said, give it at least three months to see if it works for you.

You are a skin type VI from the picture. Look for a clinic that has a Nd: YAG 1064nm Laser. When you call the clinic, ask "Do you use the YAG 1064 nano meter laser for an African American with a skin type 6?" Someone who has the experience should be able to do laser hair removal for you, but they need to have the right laser. The best clinics will have both an Alexandrite and a YAG laser to be able to treat a full range of skin types. A minimum of 6 treatments are usually needed to see a great reduction in hair. It could take 10-12 treatments that to see the results you want. When you have laser hair removal or electrolysis, do not tweezer your hair in between session, but you can shave.. About 7-14 days after your laser treatment, the hair will start to shed (fall out). You may need to use a loofah and really scrub in the shower. Not all of it will fall out, but the majority should shed by three weeks. If it doesn't shed, call the clinic and let them know that three weeks has passed and your hair has not shed. They may need to adjust the settings on the laser. If the hair did not fall out, then it didn't die. They will appear to continue to grow for the first 1-2 weeks. They will get longer and push out of your skin so don't be alarmed.

How long did you go for electrolysis? It can take up to a year to see results as well. You'll know it is working if you are able to space your sessions out farther apart. You might start off with once a week. Then, you'll notice that you only need to go once every other week. The skill of the technician is important for electrolysis. Find someone who has been doing it for a while or someone that is booked regularly.

I used it for over a year and I didn't notice any major changes. It turned out that I am sensitve to you and it was causing me some side effects that took a while to tie to that drug. I quit taking it over 6 months ago and no increase.

I took it for over 10 years and had a lot of hair. I did a year of laser hair removal. I started doing at a school for people to learn laser hair removal. I have since done a couple groupons and it was much better results. I have blond hair and I am fair. I have lots of dark hair on my chin. I haven't had any treatments in about 9 months. I got great results. I also still shave with a 5 blade razor. I looked up 5 blades and they work the best. I have mostly blond hair now. I have not taken the meds since I was sleeved on July 22nd.

I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. I don't have any experience with spironolactone. I did ask my doctor for it at one point, but she didn't want to prescribe it for me. I do take Yasmin, which is a birth control pill that has drospirenone in it, which helps with hair growth. I also have a perscription for Vaniqa, a cream that inhibits Hair growth. Both are somewhat effective and I have noticed a significant reduction in growth. Vaniqa, unfortunately isn't covered by insurance and is about $100 per tube, which lasts me about 3 months, but might not last you that long. I have actually stopped using it because I've changed my mechanical management of facial hair growth, which has been a vast improvement. Instead of plucking each hair, which could take 30-60minutes morning and night, or shaving, which left uncomfortable stubble, I switched to using an epilator. I had avoided this switch for a long time, thinking it would be painful, but I actually think it creates less discomfort overall than plucking and takes way less time. I still pluck any dark, course hairs that are too short to get plucked by the epilator.

I wish you the best of luck. This is one of the most demoralizing symptoms of PCOS. No one has to know that we may not ovulate and/or are infertile. 60% or more of the population is overweight these days, so we've got lots of company there. But the hair is so hard to hide and people are so judgmental about it. I really hope that you find the solution you need.

I used spironolactone too. It helped with my acne' date=' but it did not reduce the hair growth.

I've also tried laser hair removal. I was told that if my Hair growth was due to a hormone imbalance that laser hair removal wouldn't be as effective. I had my entire body done. I have very little dark hair on my legs, genital area or under arms, but it did very little for my face

If you do decide to go with laser hair removal, look for specials on Groupon. Be careful to chose a place that uses good lasers as they are not all created equally. Ask the clinic if they use YAG (darker skin) and/or Alexandrite (light / medium skin). The skill of the technician can make a difference too.[/quote']

Thanks for all the tips about laser ... I have so much facial hair right now, and I shave as my skin is really sensitive .. can't let they grow long enough to waxing. Anyways, I've tried laser and ended up with bad dark spots which took more than a year to clear. I would appreciate if u can give me any recommendation on what to look for my skin color. Thanks!