Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrations With Body Image

Hey everyone! So here's the thing... I'm 5 weeks out of surgery. I haven't weighed myself in a couple weeks because I tend to get a little obsessive with the scale. I know I am losing weight because my clothes fit better. But when I look in the mirror, I see "before" me... I am having trouble getting past that. Any of you going through the same thing?

I am just now getting my strength back to clean the house and be more active with my dogs. They of course, are enjoying every moment. I'm just so worried that mentally I will lose it. I don't want to be the girl who gets so frustrated with body image that I reverse my progress. I'm on a regular diet now and regular liquids. I'm sticking to healthier non-carb foods and sugar fee liquids as well as my 64 plus ounces a day of Water.

After all the jabbering, I guess my question is... if any of you are going through this, how are you handling/dealing with it?

Thanks for any advice/tips!

Yes, I personally went thru that also. I was like I have lost all this weight and I dont really see a change. So i finally just changed my view. When I looked at myself straight into the mirror, I really did not see a big difference. So I just turned to the side and I was like wow! Ok there is a big difference. You will be fine, we have been so used to the way we where, It is going to take some getting used to how we are now. Good luck and take care.

Respectfull,

Joe

I totaly understand. I too had the same problem that I could see thast "fat" me and not the smaller me. It takes time for you to truely see the real you. I think for me it was that I had always seen myself as thin and never as fat until ast Nov. Here I am, 140 lbs lighter than last year and I can see the thin me now. Everytime I do laundry I see my size 10 jeans and think...those are mine...I fit in those. That has been my reality check during this process.

I feel the exact same way! I am down over 50lbs and thought I would at least be in a different size by now. But, no I'm not. I still fit in the same clothes and I'm like WTH is going on here. Like how much weight do I have to loose in order to drop a few dress sizes...? I also still see my horrid double chin which I HATE HATE HATE!!! Ugh. It wasn't until yesterday that I saw a little difference and I didn't see the difference in my body per say. I saw the difference in the way my clothes fit. I put on this one shirt that used to be tight in the upper arms that I could barely button up and yesterday it was totally loose! So, I guess that was my confirmation that I am loosing and I can see it. I just thought loosing 50lbs would bring me down to at least two dress sizes...Waaah~!

I'm down 46 lbs (15 before surgery and the rest since 7/16) and I feel the same way. My clothes are definitely looser and I like how I look in them better. Ironically, its hard for people to tell how much weight I've lost because I always wore baggy shirts. However, when I look at myself without the clothes I still have major body image issues. This has been a problem for me my whole life ( even when I was only 20 lbs overweight!) and at some point I will probably need to address it. Hopefully once I can start exercising I will feel better about the naked me!

im down 120 pounds (still have about 30 to go) and i still have a hard time understanding that i am no longer the same person as i was. we get used to living life in that big person mentality, and its going to take time and effort to change. we all struggle with it, even when we see progress sometimes we forget the positives.

Unfortunately when we lose weight, the magazine cover model isn't going to show through because our skin is stretched. But we are getting healthier and taking care of our bodies. Even Cindy Crawford is going to sag eventually right?

I've had the same problem. I think most, if not everyone, does. I am 9 weeks out and down 49 pounds. While I know I've lost weight and inches because my scale and tape measure say so and because I'm down 2 pants and shirt sizes, I cannot see it AT ALL. When I look at me, I see the same me even in pics. I'm hoping when I do my pics next Monday (I do them every 4 weeks), that I will be able to finally see it.

BTW, do they make have an optometrist who can correct weight loss eye issues? :D

Thanks for all the insight everyone! I really appreciate it! I guess it just takes time. I am only 5 weeks out. I guess maybe I figured things would be moving a little faster, but then I remember that it's a process :) and @ Amy, I'm not sure about the optometrist... I'd check with your doc's! Have a blessed on y'all!!!

Taking pictures every 2 to 4 weeks really helps with this. I did front, side and back pictures in my bra and underwear (tried to use same ones as long as possible), so I could get a really good comparison.

It has been several months now since I've done that, but I plan to do it this week since my one year anniversary is tomorrow. :)

I am 3 1/2 months out and I still can not get the concept of being smaller. My worst fear is that I will gain it all back. my husband on the other hand says he will kick my butt and make sure I do not but anyways. I know how you feel.

I can tell you that it doesnt get any better the further out you are- The more weight you loose the more skin you have the more issues come up it is as if you loose 1 thing and gain something else- It is a struggle to not only feel good about yourself but see the positive in what you have done- especially if people are complimenting you and you havenever been complimented before.. I saw a therapist who said body image is something even "normal" people struggle with and I would encourage you to talk to a professional if it continues to become worse.

For me-I NEVER cared what Ilooked like or what i wore etc.. Now it pleases me to shop and try on clothes and look nice evne to go the grocery store-- so sometimes the negative has to be turned into a positive.... all that money I spent on food wallowing in my own pity is now spent on clothes and accessories....