Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm post-op day #3, I've been craving a variety of foods all day. First it was macaroni and cheese, then tortilla chips, then sloppy joes, now a nice big soft pretzel with salt and cheese. Is it because I'm hungry or is it mind hunger? How can I beat mind hunger? The consequences of eating those foods right now would be vomiting which I absolutely hate doing so it's helping me stay away but I'm so afraid that I'm going to go crazy in my own mind that I'll give in. What can I do to keep from giving in?

I didn't want those things thank goodness but I would dwell on the more important consequence of causing a possible leak!! That was enough motivation for me to steer clear of any cravings I've had through my 5 weeks of post op! Just eat your sf popsicles and sip on your Water and it should calm your new tummy down... sorry I can't give any better advice! The first 2 weeks for me were the absolute hardest!! Not being able to eat, the head hunger, the rumbly tummy AHHHH! So much more than what I anticipated! It gets soo much better when you can add some texture and consistency to your food choices. Good luck!!

That's head hunger for sure. Notice that you're not craving a delicious Protein shake or a different flavor of soup---head hunger is all about tempting things, but not necessarily the best things to get rid of hunger or nourish our bodies. I try these things in this order--

Go for a walk--have something to drink-call a friend or read a book or do something on the computer. If, after I have done all these things I am still hungry, by then it's usually time to eat something. I make it protein-first and then I know I'm not hungry and can fight the head hunger better. You can do it!

Also how would I know whether I.tolerate something or not? Will I vomit immediately after swallowing or what happens? I just had a few bites of snack pack regular chocolate pudding and even though I'm on full liquids, I don't want to eat the wrong thing.

I'm sorry...but my only thought is "you idiot!". You understand that vomiting is not the problem now right? You could DIE!!!!!! Your stomach is not healed and could open if you push it past what you have been told. Call your doctor and ask for some counseling help right now before you kill yourself!

When you've been addicted to food and have turned to it got every thing for years, you don't think about that. That's like telling a recovering drug addict that he's an idiot for having drug cravings even though he knows it's bad for him. Have a little heart, it's not easy for everyone.

Ok, no need to call anyone on here an idiot. I think she's just asking clarification on what she's feeling and what can happen. She didn't say she was going out to eat this stuff just that she was having cravings. We all do! And if you say you don't have cravings, you aren't being honest.

Anyway, we need to be civil on here and have a little more compassion for people that are going through the same thing the rest of us are. If I ask a question and get a response like that, it's going to make me leave the boards and this place is important because I don't know everything. The info I get from everyone here has helped me so much and I don't know if I could have made it this far and still be positive about my decision without it.

OP, you are not an idiot! Your cravings are normal but just put them at bay. Get creative with things you can eat now and talk to a nutritionist. There's also tons of recipes around that can help you.

Basically what I'm asking for the people who have advice to give, I know for a fact that I won't touch anything but full liquids, but how can I handle mind hunger better so that's it's easier to overcome?

The difference between the drug addict is they didn't have their gut cut open and most of a vital organ removed a couple of weeks ago. A drink or drugs, or food for an addict without a recent surgery won't "kill" them. Eating food now could actually kill you, hence my suggestion you call your doctor immediately. You seem to think that all that will happen is you will throw up.....you aren't understanding the ramifications of your choice to have this surgery if you think that is the worst thing you think will happen.

I wouldn't call someone with cravings an idiot...I'd save that for those who feel a little bite of steak or some pizza or some solid food early on won't kill them. There are examples of everyone of these idiots who are now dead. That's the stupid part....dead! Not hunched over a toilet...dead. Please think about that if you have loved ones who need you.

Ok' date=' no need to call anyone on here an idiot. I think she's just asking clarification on what she's feeling and what can happen. She didn't say she was going out to eat this stuff just that she was having cravings. We all do! And if you say you don't have cravings, you aren't being honest.

Anyway, we need to be civil on here and have a little more compassion for people that are going through the same thing the rest of us are. If I ask a question and get a response like that, it's going to make me leave the boards and this place is important because I don't know everything. The info I get from everyone here has helped me so much and I don't know if I could have made it this far and still be positive about my decision without it.

OP, you are not an idiot! Your cravings are normal but just put them at bay. Get creative with things you can eat now and talk to a nutritionist. There's also tons of recipes around that can help you.[/quote']

Wise words. Now that's support :)

Also how would I know whether I.tolerate something or not? Will I vomit immediately after swallowing or what happens? I just had a few bites of snack pack regular chocolate pudding and even though I'm on full liquids' date=' I don't want to eat the wrong thing.[/quote']

She ate regular chocolate pudding. Not on any approved list I've seen.of course I've had and will have cravings but I also have a child who needs me. No pudding is more moorland than him growing up without a mom.

I have a huge heart and am very supportive but sometimes people don't get the gravity of what they are doing to themselves. I don't want to read she has killed herself nor do I enjoy reading stories of people who have done so because they made bad choices. I personally don't feel that being hand held is support...it's enabling. I won't enable anyone to kill themselves.

One big thing to notice here is that pretty much everything you are craving is high carb foods with minimal nutritional value.

Here's the bad news, carb creat cravings for more carbs. So if you indulge thes cravings then that will only create more cravings

And the good news is, if you resist the cravings will dissipate and become weaker. You've gotta be strong now and break the cycle

Wow!!! People are so rude on here sometimes!! So sorry RissyRoe that someone responded like that =( I am not on these boards too much any more because of the aggressive posts... I love the support this board brings but some of these aggressive posts make me just stick with my "secret fb page" =) If you're interested in joining it let me know!

Don't get discouraged in that post, you will do fine! Like Paige said, focus on other things and sip your Water and eat your popsicles!! This too shall pass!!

Regular pudding is on my list of approved foods which was given to me by my doctor. It wouldn't be good if I had a few of them a day but I had maybe 1/4 of the cup and then I was satisfied.