Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is The Best Case Scenario Really Realistic?

Whenever I think about my surgery and recovery,

I always imagine a stellar scenario, like I'm up and walking the same day, minimal discomfort, and back to work within my allotted PTO time, but then at the back of my mind are doubts that this would actually happen for me. I have very poor coping mechanisms when I can't control something, which is most of life, but I make good work of the things I can control. I never worried about recovery with my last two surgeries, but this is blowing my mind. I think it has a lot to do with me as a person and the fact that I just have to worry about something. The anticipation of how my surgery and recovery will go is going to put me into an early grave, before I even have the surgery.

Sorry I don't have advice, because I'm the exact same way... I don't even have my authorization let alone a surgery date to fret over...

Hope you get some great answers.

OK, so to be honest, the best case scenario might not be realistic (although it is for some), but your worst case scenario is not either. But do not feel alone, I think many people have the same fear. I am not sure if you are self pay or insurance pay, but I was self pay in Mexico and I am from Canada. I was so worried that something would happen to to me and my husband, 3 year old son, and 15 month old daughter would be left without a mommy. Of course the fear was unfounded (even though there are risks, so you can't discount them) and I had a successful surgery. My recovery the first day was terrible! I was in a lot of pain the first evening, and none of the pain medication they were giving me really worked well. By the next morning though I was up and walking around and had a shower on my own.

Best of luck on your surgery and recovery!

I think it depends on a few things: age, mood and overall attitude.

I am young and recovered very quickly - doc said it was because I wasn't too overweight and young people tend to bounce back more quickly.

I wanted to be all lazy and lay in bed but the nurses and my aunt had me up and walking three hours after surgery, I felt so much better.

Lastly, instead of staying in my hotel room to recover I actually went around Mexico and went on a four hour drive to Ensenada and had a ton of fun. I felt great!

I drove myself 8 hours fourish days after surgery. I went back to school a week after and work two weeks after. Mind you, I work in a very physically demanding job.

So I think if you approach it in a positive mood and make yourself get up and walk walk walk, you will have an easier time.

I also wasn't taking any pain meds after the first ***ht.

I was the opposite. I just assumed It would be horrible and I would get a leak and not lose weight and never be able to eat anything again. Isn't that awful???? My comfort came, primarily from my faith (but that's a different thread;) ) and secondly from knowing I picked the best surgeon I could find. Surgery and recovery is no bed of roses, but it's certainly not the worst thing I've ever been through. After that first couple of weeks...life has just been outstandingly wonderful!! I do not regret even a SECOND of the discomfort. I'd do it all again no problem. (glad I won't have to though!)

As far as being able to move and pain I wasn’t too bad my gall bladder op was far worse I feel.

I had my op last on the list so I got on ward at like 9pm-ish still a little groggy I was out of the bed standing by it and told them to move my bed by the window told my mum to take my pjs out I wanted to get dressed in my clothes then i wanted to pee the nurse tried to help me and get me to use one of the pans I was all NO! so she tried to hold me and walk with me but she was too slow and I just shuffled off by myself with my iv stand and come back by myself instead of calling her to get me lol

I watched how they hooked up the leg pressure things so when I wanted out of the bed I just turned it off and unhooked myself and hooked it back up when I got back in lol

The next day my nurse took me for a walk off the ward and down the corridor and back again I did that twice a day.

But I had bad cotton mouth and was on iv Fluid so I went to the bathroom a lot to either brush my teeth or use the bathroom and I get bored really easily so I would just stroll about.

I napped a lot but I sleep really poorly in hospital (always too hot and noisy for me) and the lady opposite me was a moaner who wouldn’t use her pain pump and did odd things in the middle of the ***ht that would wake me up.

Once home I did a lot more sleeping but moving was far easier than the gall bladder op I feel.

I think as long as you listen to your body and rest when its tired or your in pain then its ok to be moving around it helps blood flow lung function and you to feel “normal” and better than to just lay there.

The best case scenario is pretty common, but a back-up plan is a good idea. I thought the surgery wasn't big deal except for the annoying gas pain. I went home, drank my Water and hit my Protein targets in a couple of days. I went back to work easily in a week. I am 5 weeks out and I am working 60 hour weeks easily. I eat what I am supposed to and I am losing about 5 lbs a week. I have no heartburn, no pain and no drama. No foods bother me.

It is not a big deal for everybody. I helped to start with that attitude.

Sent from my iPad using VST

What would you do if you could not fail? Prep the best you can and know it will be great.

I am 'that guy' that the other slivers might want to throw their Protein drinks at. I was the second surgery of the day, so, I woke up and was in my room by about 12 or 1. I was in some pain, but morphine was great for me. I was up walking about 4 times that day, and also, I don't do bed pans, so, I took myself to the bathroom. Day to, up and walking, handling all the sample 'foods' I was allowed to try, went home around 2 day after surgery.

At home, pain level was about on par with appendectomy. Worst thing was severe cotton mouth. Get yourself a 20oz Water bottle and make it your best friend. Not gonna lie, liquid diet sucks, but it goes pretty quick. I only had 1 vomit issue, and that was my fault, and I knew it was coming. (don't try to do a whole serving of beef broth in 5 minutes at 2 weeks because you're in a hurry) I was back to work at a very physical job (I have to lift over 100 pound objects several times a day) in my allotted time, and now that I'm on real food, if you came to my home for dinner, you'd never know because we found awesome food choices. I am almost 2 months out, and for lunch today, I had an Emilybites taco cupcake with a jalopeno pepper on the side. So, yes, best case scenario is possible. I would do it again tomorrow, and twice on Sunday.

Good luck with your journey

Good luck,

There are what I consider to be serious complications like major vomiting, major nausea for days on end, blood clots, leaks, etc. Then there are minor things resulting in painful incisions, minor nausea for a day or so, maybe even vomiting once or twice. Most of us have had some of the minor symptoms after surgery, but very few have the serious stuff. Personally, I had no problems at all. I was up walking 2 hours after geting to my room and walked off the minor gas pains from the residual air they pumped into me. I went home the day after surgery and went for a walk that evening. The next day, I began a regular exercise regimen (slowly and lightly) on the treadmill. I had some minor stomach pain the first night home that kept me from sleeping, so I got up and took some liquid pain med and it settled down right away and I got to sleep. I'm now 3 1/2 months out and feel great. I've lost 78 lbs and am 3/4 of the way to goal. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My advice to you is to do everything the doc says to do, keep yourself in the best shape you can and keep a positive attitude. It's gonna be fine. Good luck.

I am a big believer in positive affirmation. If you truly believe that things will go well, I honestly do not know that they will go that way.. but this much I will tell you. If you go into surgery thinking you are doing the wrong thing and thinking you are going to die... you are doing yourself a disservice. I am an OR nurse, and I have seen patients who believe the worst. And they are never disappointed. I even had one patient who kept saying she was going to die... and she did. So please, try to be positive. Picture yourself as being healthy and thinner. Picture yourself wearing that cute little dress you saw in the magazine. Get yourself into the mind set of positivity. Bring gratitude and joy into your life and it will permeate thru all aspects of your life.

Yeah, surgery is scary. But believe me the doctors and the nurses are there for you and for you alone. YOU ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE ROOM. Remember that. Life is good, and you are going to set the bar for yourself! You can do this!!

So great to hear from an OR nurse. I have been a nurse for a long time but never had surgery - and I am so fearful of how I'm going to handle the operative scene. I'm really a chicken...

You know what's wierd? The times that I have had to have surgery, I was nervous up until they took me to the OR. Once I got in the OR, I had a real sense of calmness around me. I think because I have complete confidence in the people I work with. I know they are going to do the very best they can to ensure I have safe care. I really get a sense of control and I know that all patients are treated with dignity. I would not have it any other way...and they know it. :)

I am a big believer in doing things before surgery to help reach an optimal recovery. Here is what I did:

1. Work out every day until surgery. Walk for at least 30 minutes at a moderate pace.
  2. Lose 10-15 lbs or more on your own before surgery, even if it is not required by your program/surgeon.
  3. Go on the clear, sugar-free, caffeine free liquid diet for at least 3 days leading into surgery, even if it is not required by your program/surgeon.
    *If you haven't been working out steadily and haven't lost any weight before surgery, strongly consider the 14-day liver shrinking diet, which is basically two low-carb Protein shakes and a low-carb dinner.
  4. Strive to follow pre and post-guidance to the letter. You will probably screw up a little somewhere, but don't we all?
  5. Choose the right program/surgeon, if you have a choice. That means someone you are comfortable with and that you have researched to your satisfaction.
  6. Reduce your stress. Don't worry. I was honestly not worried about the surgery itself, at all. I had my tonsils out last year -- that's a tough recovery as an adult. The surgery isn't what you should worry about, you're in, you're out and you're done. Worry about preparing for surgery so you can have a quick and successful recovery.

Good luck.

J

You know what's wierd? The times that I have had to have surgery, I was nervous up until they took me to the OR. Once I got in the OR, I had a real sense of calmness around me. I think because I have complete confidence in the people I work with. I know they are going to do the very best they can to ensure I have safe care. I really get a sense of control and I know that all patients are treated with dignity. I would not have it any other way...and they know it. :)

It's funny you say that, because any surgery I've ever had, the LAST thing I remember is: "Hi, my name is "Dr. so and so, and I'll be administering your anesthesia today...." Then I wake up in my room. I don't even ever remember the recovery room. :lol: