Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm kinda in the same boat with you now. I had my sleeve done last Friday (6) days ago. I've been handling mashed potatoes' date=' popsicles ans hello pretty well. I talk to dieticians yesterday and tried a can of tuna, I took it good. Seen the Dr today and he said I that really soft fish is ok in the soft food diet. So for lunch I had a little bit of tilapia and crab cake and save the rest. I am handling that stuff better than Protein shakes. I also been going to the smoothie king and getting healthly ones, adding Protein Shots and taking throughout the day. It almost costs the same. If you like similar things maybe you can check with your Dr office, each one is different on what they want you doing. Also, everyone is different. I had my surgery at 0930, was up and walking in a few hours and out of the hospital that same evenining and back to work Wednesday. Heck I was at Ikea Sunday shopping and trying the mashed potatoes.[/quote']

I am of that personality too and I listen to my body. Thanks for chiming in. :)

It is REALLY getting frustrating how judgmental people have been on this forum lately. So much so that posts such as izuri's make me refrain from posting, our visiting nearly as often. A simple "you should be careful to follow your doctors recommended diet" with your recomemded tips would suffice.

Seriously, get off your high horses people...

If you read my post over again, aside from the last sentence, which really just stated what my first honest thought was after reading this, the post was asking a simple question - Why wouldn't she follow directions from her doctor after a serious procedure. Her doctor that she trusted to do a serious surgery. That is a valid question and I stand behind the post. I did not call her stupid. I was not cruel or making fun of her or mean. I wondered something I think is perfectly valid. And I did follow it up with suggestions for alternate foods that are on liquid diets that she could use to get back on track.

This is how I actually felt about what she wrote. I have been supportive in almost every other post I have written, if you don't believe me, look through all my posts. I have written on many posts, some where people have cheated and been worried and I told them to hang in there and that things happen, they can get back on track, we are all human, etc. I just didn't get this and she asked for comments, so I gave it my honest opinion. I would never support someone openly continuing to go against their doctor's advice without either consulting their doctor or having an opinion from another physician. I do not claim to be perfect, but I really think it is in her best interest to follow her doctor's orders. I'm sorry if in any way that was misunderstood. I do apologize for upsetting people, I did not realize that what I posted would be such an issue. I will try and watch how I phrase things in the future.

*Edited to be less of a wall of text =)

Whoa Ladies...first of all I'm not an idiot and I have researched this procedure, it's limitations, complications and diet for almost 4 yrs. this was no easy decision. And I DON'T take it lightly.

There are MANY approaches to postop intake and I have carefully considered them all. Am I a Dr? No, but I do work in the healthcare field and know a thing or two. I don't mind advise or a completely opposing opinion but some of the posts feel just mean spirited. "Why would I waste thousands of dollars?" Is that necessary?

Anyway I have never been a "sheep" when it comes to my own health and body. An educated decision is just that. So chill already. And for the record my insurance paid every cent :P

I never asked why you would waste thousands of dollar. I asked why you would possibly spend it and then not follow doctor's instructions. It really caught me off guard how your first two sentences contradicted each other. I guess I never even considered not following my doctor's plan because I assume that he has knowledge enough to decide what works best for his patients. I want to be sure that my outcome is good, and if I ever disagreed with his plan or had questions or wanted to advance faster, I would call his office first. I may have read up on the surgery, but I probably do not have the knowledge that he has, I have not seen the patient base that he has. Even though I may have read and studied this procedure, he has experience with hundreds of patients post-op and how they have tolerated the diet, the medicines, etc, which gives him a much wider knowledge base than I do, no matter how much I learn about this procedure. That was my point and what I misunderstood. I am not a sheep for following my doctor's instructions. By the way, I also am in the healthcare field.

You do have the right to do what you want with your body, but I do think it would be at least a wise decision to talk to your doctor before deciding to ignore his instructions. I am sure you will be fine, but there is a reason that they give the recommendations that they do, it is not just arbitrary. I am sorry that you felt my opinion was mean-spirited. I never called you any names or said you were dumb. I do acknowledge that in this particular field, my doctor has far more knowledge than I do, and if I trust him to cut into me, I trust that he has a reason for his post-op plan. I hope that this maybe explains what I meant more thoroughly, and I apologize if you were offended.

I never asked why you would waste thousands of dollar. I asked why you would possibly spend it and then not follow doctor's instructions. It really caught me off guard how your first two sentences contradicted each other. I guess I never even considered not following my doctor's plan because I assume that he has knowledge enough to decide what works best for his patients. I want to be sure that my outcome is good' date=' and if I ever disagreed with his plan or had questions or wanted to advance faster, I would call his office first. I may have read up on the surgery, but I probably do not have the knowledge that he has, I have not seen the patient base that he has. Even though I may have read and studied this procedure, he has experience with hundreds of patients post-op and how they have tolerated the diet, the medicines, etc, which gives him a much wider knowledge base than I do, no matter how much I learn about this procedure. That was my point and what I misunderstood. I am not a sheep for following my doctor's instructions. By the way, I also am in the healthcare field.

You do have the right to do what you want with your body, but I do think it would be at least a wise decision to talk to your doctor before deciding to ignore his instructions. I am sure you will be fine, but there is a reason that they give the recommendations that they do, it is not just arbitrary. I am sorry that you felt my opinion was mean-spirited. I never called you any names or said you were dumb. I do acknowledge that in this particular field, my doctor has far more knowledge than I do, and if I trust him to cut into me, I trust that he has a reason for his post-op plan. I hope that this maybe explains what I meant more thoroughly, and I apologize if you were offended.[/quote']

I'm not offended I just know judgement when I see/feel it. Bottom line I started early on soft food. I can and have done lengthy liquid diets and your statement "if it's that hard how will u ever be successful" was just mean, period. If you're so knowledgable u know some people move faster than others and there is no harm no foul. As a matter of fact I have so much contradicting literature I used my own judgement and went slow at it. I don't care how u spin it you lashed out and were insensitive and noone on this site has done that so far that I have seen. I LOVE this site and what makes it safe is how considerate and supportibe everyone is. If I thought for one minute I would have been been treated like an irresponsible patient I would have never exposed myself. My bad, now I know. Peace

I'm not offended I just know judgement when I see/feel it. Bottom line I started early on soft food. I can and have done lengthy liquid diets and your statement "if it's that hard how will u ever be successful" was just mean' date=' period. If you're so knowledgable u know some people move faster than others and there is no harm no foul. As a matter of fact I have so much contradicting literature I used my own judgement and went slow at it. I don't care how u spin it you lashed out and were insensitive and noone on this site has done that so far that I have seen. I LOVE this site and what makes it safe is how considerate and supportibe everyone is. If I thought for one minute I would have been been treated like an irresponsible patient I would have never exposed myself. My bad, now I know. Peace[/quote']

I think her statement is absolutely correct - for one moment try to step back and really think about the statement.

Seriously- if we can't handle a liquid diet- for two weeks- how are we going to handle a lifetime of restrictions . It's not mean its the truth- and even for this fat girl- the truth is a hard thing to swallow sometimes!

This is my final response to this post. How do u think I had my surgery? I did 2 weeks Clear Liquids just fine thank u. My post op diet is in writing in my resourse binder from the consultants who I worked with. The Dr.said 2 weeks liquids, the other literature says start day 4-5 with soft foods ie mashed potatoes etc. So I have predominantly stayed on liquids but have tried some things. I asked for input but unfortunatly a couple of comments were negative in tone at best. My question was how were people adjusting etc.. I have seen many posts where people didn't do 2 weeks liquid so I was inquiring. Anyway this subject got twisted and I'll chalk it up to poor form.

Not to be argumentative, but I didn't see a question at all in your original post. Just you saying you've jumped ahead of your Doctor's plan and then asked for comments. My comment is this, your sleeve may tolerate it now, but at what price later on? Why take a chance?

We can disagree with each other without getting our feelings hurt, can't we? (I'm not asking you suzjag, I'm asking everyone.)

There is so much conflicting info that it helps to get opinions. My post op instructions are liquids only one week. My surgeon is very experienced. So go figure. I asked a question about drinking seltzer on another post and got a similiar response I felt like ...calm down just asking! I agree with the self righteous interpretation. That's how it felt.

You should follow your doctors orders. If there is conflicting information given from YOUR doctor, not the internet, then call and ask questions. Yes, there are different post op diets and time frames, but your doctor gave you his for a particular reason. I think you should follow it or call before you advance your diet. Being in health care I'm sure you've seen or heard of people who haven't followed post op instructions and end up back in the hospital or ill, we don't want that to be you.

If it make u fill better I was on full liquieds for 8 weeks!!! 2 weeks pr- op and 6 weeks post op I was sleeved on the 25 of jun and I just got to start eating foods and it's not that great for me it's hard to get things down I have to stick to soft foods just saying be happy have a great day :-)

Lately many posts are becoming personality debates and lose sight of the original posts. There are many different personalities on here, but I personally believe most people truly care and want the best for each other. Sometimes there appears to be too much energy going on. if you post something remember you will get the good, bad and the ugly but do not take it personally since we do not know each other personally

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

It never ceases to amaze me how many absolute judmental jerks post on this board. Everyone here has a problem with food, so you would think that would bring people together and they would have sympathy for eachother. The point of the board is to SUPPORT one another. Instead I see post after post from people that get up on their high horse and talk down to those that are having a tougher time than they are. That isn't helpful it is hurtful. Didn't your mothers ever teach you that if you don't have something nice to say then keep your mouth shut? Izuri - you could have made the exact same points you wanted to make, but in a supportive way, instead you sound like a stuck up, know it all, that clearly never did anything wrong ever in your life. You are not the worst one on here, so I am sorry for singiling you out, but you are the last I will read. I am through with this site, and will find one that is actually supportive. I hope for the sake of new people that come here looking for help, that you people realize how detremental you are being to those in need.

Every Dr is different,and you should follow their instructions. My Dr didnt require a 2 week pre op diet,I ate regular food untl the day before surgery,I did do 2 Weeks post op of liquids,but then again I was never hungry and I did fine on the liquids,all im saying is do as your Dr says,but ask him can I do this or can I do that.you really should do this cuz you dont want to end up in the hospital

My opinion differs here, I find it hard to believe that so many people will support bad decisions. It is absolutely imperative when somebody is headed down a path that is detrimental we as a community stand up and let them know just how bad of a decision they are making.

I for one would much rather have someone mad at me because I hurt their thin skinned feelings than support a potentially destructive action.

I don't think I could live with myself if I someone hurt themselves because I was too afraid to actually tell them what they were doing was stupid, for fear I might offend them or hurt their feelings?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe that support & encouragement play a key roll in our purpose here.

But if a heroin addict came to me and said "I just went through rehab, now I'm just experimenting a bit with cocaine". I bet then nobody in their right mind would question me when I responded with "what the hell are you thinking? I think you really missed something." so my question is, what is the major difference?

The first couple of weeks are miserable, a fact that, time and time again, people here forget.

I went for my two week post-op with my doctor and NUT yesterday and was telling them about some of the stuff that goes on here. They both read some of these boards and basically said to ignore people, that it seems like people get sleeved, lose a little weight, and suddenly become experts who have nothing better to do than be on the Internet all day criticizing people.

I wanted to hug them both for that. Some of the people here can make you feel even worse than you already do, it was nice to get some validation from people who really matter.