Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I met with my dr on Wednesday. He said his recommended diet of clear liquid for two days, full liquid for 2 weeks, purée for 2 weeks, then soft foods until 7 weeks after surgery is just a guideline and so we do not blame him if we throw up after eating something. He is a character. Lol.

I think that people who make the "I did a dumb/bad thing and didn't follow my doctor's orders" are looking for several different responses.

Some people slip and get scared that they've hurt themselves. Response to that always seems to overwhelmingly supportive.

Some people haven't been properly educated about the healing process. Everyone is very quick to inform them and give them ideas for new recipes and coping skills.

Some people are still enslaved by emotional eating and they don't recognize it. I don't think these posters are looking for support, ideas, or help. I think they want someone to tell them it's OK to disobey doctor's orders and they get angry when they don't get what they want and say we're judging them. Maybe we are, but maybe they need people who won't act as enablers for self destructive behavior.

Wow things got a little touchy touchy on this board, but to the original post, I was on Clear Liquids 1 week post op and regular liquids for week 2 and then week 3 soft/puréed foods. I am going to admit that instead of waiting the full 2 weeks, I started soft solids a couple of days before my 2 weeks were up. I was away for the weekend and went out to a restaurant. It went down fine but I felt very guilty afterwards. I've been in my 3rd week since Wednesday and have been at a stall not losing a pound, and a part of me is feeling so mad at myself thinking it was starting softs a couple days early, did that hurt me? Did that stretch my stomach already? Did I just do all of this for nothing? Then I called my doc and he explained to me that it's fine, I didn't hurt anything, and that since I started solids my body is adjusting and a stall in week 3 is normal... What I'm getting at is none of us are perfect, you did what you did so now you should call the doc and see if u can continue your soft foods or ask him where to go from there!! You have it in you to do this, I believe we all do!!! It's nice to come on here and see other people experiences but when push comes to shove, we are all different and deal with things differently!! So really my advice is call your doc and see where you should go from here!!!! I'm sure you'll end up doing awesome!!! I hope I do also!!!

I am 6 days out and have experimented with some soft foods. My Dr wanted me 2 weeks liquid. Items I've tried: avocado' date=' won ton Soup, smooshed banana. All advise or input welcome. I get full quickly and immediately get gas and/or have burping other than that I feel fine. Comments?[/quote']

I think the key here is you said "ALL advice or input welcome". You stated "my dr wanted me..." the title of your post was "EARLY soft foods". I re read Izuri's response multiple times but didn't see attitude or negativity in my opinion. YOU ASKED for advice & input, you got it. Pick & choose what you need to hear. I hope when (not if) I veer off track, there will be people around to help me get back on the straight & narrow! We all know this is not an easy journey. Accept help & support as it is intended, even if it's not worded exactly how you would like.

My doctor told me that the greatest risk of leaks is 3-5 weeks, after the swelling has gone down, and is due to essentially hydraulic back pressure created as the stomach pushes food into the small intestine. Based on that, I WILL NOT CHEAT. It simply is not worth the risk. I will be in mushies then and they will be truly mushy. I'm patient; I have the rest of my life to eat. A few weeks is NOT going to kill me.

My doctor told me that the greatest risk of leaks is 3-5 weeks' date=' after the swelling has gone down, and is due to essentially hydraulic back pressure created as the stomach pushes food into the small intestine. Based on that, I WILL NOT CHEAT. It simply is not worth the risk. I will be in mushies then and they will be truly mushy. I'm patient; I have the rest of my life to eat. A few weeks is NOT going to kill me.[/quote']

And here's how every doctor is different. My doctor said that after 3 weeks, your risk of a leak is minimal unless you do something crazy and way over eat.

It never ceases to amaze me how many absolute judmental jerks post on this board. Everyone here has a problem with food' date=' so you would think that would bring people together and they would have sympathy for eachother. The point of the board is to SUPPORT one another. Instead I see post after post from people that get up on their high horse and talk down to those that are having a tougher time than they are. That isn't helpful it is hurtful. Didn't your mothers ever teach you that if you don't have something nice to say then keep your mouth shut? Izuri - you could have made the exact same points you wanted to make, but in a supportive way, instead you sound like a stuck up, know it all, that clearly never did anything wrong ever in your life. You are not the worst one on here, so I am sorry for singiling you out, but you are the last I will read. I am through with this site, and will find one that is actually supportive. I hope for the sake of new people that come here looking for help, that you people realize how detremental you are being to those in need.[/quote']

Telling it like it is..Bravo

My opinion differs here' date=' I find it hard to believe that so many people will support bad decisions. It is absolutely imperative when somebody is headed down a path that is detrimental we as a community stand up and let them know just how bad of a decision they are making.

I for one would much rather have someone mad at me because I hurt their thin skinned feelings than support a potentially destructive action.

I don't think I could live with myself if I someone hurt themselves because I was too afraid to actually tell them what they were doing was stupid, for fear I might offend them or hurt their feelings?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe that support & encouragement play a key roll in our purpose here.

But if a heroin addict came to me and said "I just went through rehab, now I'm just experimenting a bit with cocaine". I bet then nobody in their right mind would question me when I responded with "what the hell are you thinking? I think you really missed something." so my question is, what is the major difference?

[/quote']

Avocado = Heroin hmmm :0

I think that people who make the "I did a dumb/bad thing and didn't follow my doctor's orders" are looking for several different responses.

Some people slip and get scared that they've hurt themselves. Response to that always seems to overwhelmingly supportive.

Some people haven't been properly educated about the healing process. Everyone is very quick to inform them and give them ideas for new recipes and coping skills.

Some people are still enslaved by emotional eating and they don't recognize it. I don't think these posters are looking for support' date=' ideas, or help. I think they want someone to tell them it's OK to disobey doctor's orders and they get angry when they don't get what they want and say we're judging them. Maybe we are, but maybe they need people who won't act as enablers for self destructive behavior.[/quote']

If you're referring to me Wrong...I wanted non-judgemental input.

Wow things got a little touchy touchy on this board' date=' but to the original post, I was on clear liquids 1 week post op and regular liquids for week 2 and then week 3 soft/puréed foods. I am going to admit that instead of waiting the full 2 weeks, I started soft solids a couple of days before my 2 weeks were up. I was away for the weekend and went out to a restaurant. It went down fine but I felt very guilty afterwards. I've been in my 3rd week since Wednesday and have been at a stall not losing a pound, and a part of me is feeling so mad at myself thinking it was starting softs a couple days early, did that hurt me? Did that stretch my stomach already? Did I just do all of this for nothing? Then I called my doc and he explained to me that it's fine, I didn't hurt anything, and that since I started solids my body is adjusting and a stall in week 3 is normal... What I'm getting at is none of us are perfect, you did what you did so now you should call the doc and see if u can continue your soft foods or ask him where to go from there!! You have it in you to do this, I believe we all do!!! It's nice to come on here and see other people experiences but when push comes to shove, we are all different and deal with things differently!! So really my advice is call your doc and see where you should go from here!!!! I'm sure you'll end up doing awesome!!! I hope I do also!!![/quote']

Thank u thank u thank u, right on every point. I am calling today!

It never ceases to amaze me how many absolute judmental jerks post on this board. Everyone here has a problem with food' date=' so you would think that would bring people together and they would have sympathy for eachother. The point of the board is to SUPPORT one another. Instead I see post after post from people that get up on their high horse and talk down to those that are having a tougher time than they are. That isn't helpful it is hurtful. Didn't your mothers ever teach you that if you don't have something nice to say then keep your mouth shut? Izuri - you could have made the exact same points you wanted to make, but in a supportive way, instead you sound like a stuck up, know it all, that clearly never did anything wrong ever in your life. You are not the worst one on here, so I am sorry for singiling you out, but you are the last I will read. I am through with this site, and will find one that is actually supportive. I hope for the sake of new people that come here looking for help, that you people realize how detremental you are being to those in need.[/quote']

So you are not coming back then????

Buh-bye.

If you're referring to me Wrong...I wanted non-judgemental input.

My comment about uncontrolled emotional eating was not meant to refer to you and was mostly based on my personal experience when I was on full liquids early last month.

I think the board in general would benefit if you or someone else were able to describe what is considered judgemental or non judgemental. Personally I think there is always an element of judgement when people offer feedback or opinions.

What kind of input were you seeking? Did you want more ideas for soft foods to try? Did you want anecdotes from others who had advanced to food stages ahead of time?

My comment about uncontrolled emotional eating was not meant to refer to you and was mostly based on my personal experience when I was on full liquids early last month.

I think the board in general would benefit if you or someone else were able to describe what is considered judgemental or non judgemental. Personally I think there is always an element of judgement when people offer feedback or opinions.

What kind of input were you seeking? Did you want more ideas for soft foods to try? Did you want anecdotes from others who had advanced to food stages ahead of time?

Part of the problem is how some people resort to hyperbole in criticizing how others are eating. I had started a thread last week about how I drank a little bit of flat, watered down, caffeine free Diet Coke and you'd have thought I had eaten live babies. People were outraged and all I did was say how I was amazed how it made me feel better to be just a little normal again. But I was told I was going to cause a leak, ruin my weight loss, etc., all over a few ounces of soda.

Yet when I started another thread asking if anyone had actually gotten a leak from making poor eating choices, you could hear crickets chirping.

It's become the equivalent of "your face is going to freeze that way."

People need to stop acting like they know everything and know what's right for strangers on an Internet message board. They don't. Only your doctor and nutritionist know what's best for you. The lesson to be learned is, if you have a question, call the doctor, don't look for a reasonable dialogue here because it's not going to happen. I'm almost 3 weeks out and spoke with my doc and nut about how I've had no problems getting anything down, no vomiting, no reflux, but I'm having trouble dealing with puréed food because it's just too gross. They said to move on to softs and just chew well. If I had asked people about that here, my head would have been chewed, rather puréed, off.

People should just say, "if you have a question, call your doctor, but I did ____ when I was in your situation." I'm not sure why that's so hard to do.

Thank u thank u thank u' date=' right on every point. I am calling today![/quote']

You are very welcome!!! Again none of us are perfect!!! Hope the call to your doc helps!!!!

Can I ask why exactly you would go against your doctor's orders intentionally? I get that liquid diet is no fun' date=' but I don't see why anyone would pay possibly thousands of dollars to have their stomach cut out and then not follow the doctor's orders. 2 weeks of a liquid diet is honestly not that hard, and they make these guidelines because they are trying to protect your health and think this is the best way to move through this process. They have years of medical school, residency, fellowship, not to mention experience to base their instructions off of.

If you are not enjoying liquids, try switching flavor of Protein powders. Add jellos. pudding. Tea. Homemade Soup broth. Greek Yogurt. There are tons of things you could try..

Just saying...seems kinda silly to me. If you can't stick to a 2 week liquid diet, how are you going to have the willpower to resist more difficult foods later on? Exercise some restraint or at least consider consulting your doctor before just deciding to go off plan.

I'm not trying to be mean....but I read this and just went "....really?"[/quote']

You need to take out that entire first and last statements. People are not on here to be lectured and put down at by you! Can you obesity say you never made a mistake?

Sent from my iPad using VST