Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Gross To Ask? I Hope Not...

What do they do with the stomach portion that's removed? Does anyone keep it? That probably sounds crazy, but it is/was a big part of me.

Most states (not to mention the AMA) require all tissue removed from a person to go to pathology. Depending on your surgeon & his protocol, the pathologist will either do a gross examination (just look it over) or a micro/ biopsy to see if there is anything suspicious.

From there it can either go for incineration (biohazardous waste) or some request their "parts" back for burial. Sorry, but that is the sum of it!

I had mine with the gallbladder also worked by a sculptor and glossed over with a shiny gold metallic paint. It's mounted over the fireplace.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D

I think someone in this forum asked the doctor to take pictures of it, and they shared it with us. (It might have been a blog though.). You could see if your surgeon would be willing to take a picture to share with you. It was interesting to see that one.

If you can't keep it, you can at least see a picture of it. :)

Linda

I did ask if I could see pics. or video of the surgery. They didn't/couldn't do it. :(

:P I do have the cast of my jaw from getting dental stuff done but that's a little different than an organ.

I don't want the stomach they take out--have seen stomachs, and they really aren't my thing!--BUT, I do want the lap band they're taking out of me! Hahaha.

I'm serious! I want that band and port! The way I look at it, it's not tissue, I paid a LOT of money for the stupid thing, and every single person I know that's had gall stones and kidney stones removed have their stones in jars (or wisdom teeth!) which to me are a bio-substance if not a tissue. They all seem to think everyone wants to see and admire them. (I do think they're kind of neat...in a gross sort of way! Hahaha) so why shouldn't mynband get the same? Hahaha

My band--whom I named Agnetha, btw, because she's Swedish ;-) --will hopefully reside on my bedside table in her own jar as a reminder for me to pursue what I want and not go with what someone else thinks I should settle for. Because that's how I wound up with her--I settled for the band instead of the RNY I was asking for. And here I am going in for a revision, so how well did me settling for something I wasn't looking for work out?

:-)

I had mine with the gallbladder also worked by a sculptor and glossed over with a shiny gold metallic paint. It's mounted over the fireplace.

LOL This was perfect, my screen was scrolled just right so that I couldn't see the just kidding and I was reading and my mind was going "Whhaaaaaaaaat?????????????" and then I scrolled down after thinking you were a creeper and then saw the just kidding I was like "PHEW!" =)

LOL This was perfect, my screen was scrolled just right so that I couldn't see the just kidding and I was reading and my mind was going "Whhaaaaaaaaat?????????????" and then I scrolled down after thinking you were a creeper and then saw the just kidding I was like "PHEW!" =)

I was hoping I left just enough space! haha- fun fun fun!

I did ask if I could see pics. or video of the surgery. They didn't/couldn't do it. :(

:P I do have the cast of my jaw from getting dental stuff done but that's a little different than an organ.

Got a really good laugh. Thanks, i really needed it :)

I had a friend who had hers at a military hospital and she had to sign a waiver saying it was ok for them to use it in scientific studies.

Same thing with her umbilical cord from her birth.

Military science experiments, super creepy.

Lmao....I was reading that thinking....oh my god how disgusting! Then I saw the end lol.

I was hoping I left just enough space! haha- fun fun fun!

Ya, you had me going until I saw "mounted over the fireplace." :lol:

They can keep my stomach, but I'm still annoyed that my oral surgeon did away with my wisdom teeth before I was even awake! He said I couldn't have kept them anyway. Then I had a surgery on my arm where a portion of bone was removed, and I didn't even think about asking for my piece of ulna until months later =( Oh well