Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Those of you who've had the surgery already. Did you have to remove your nail polish prior to surgery? I don't have any on right now (not allowed to wear it at work) but was thinking of getting a mani/pedi before I go. I'd really like to get shellac since I'll be off work for the next several weeks. It's lasts a long time but also can't be taken off easily. Thanks, D.

The purpose of no nail Polish is so anesthesia can get your oxygen levels during surgery. When you have polish with red, purple, or blue tones it interferes with the way that the sensor detects oxygen levels in your blood. Sometimes red is ok but I wouldn't recommend it. You will be safe with a French manicure! ;-)

I'm having surgery in the morning! Flew in this morning and have been treated like a queen since I got here - can't keep up with all the drinks, broths and Popsicles the coordinator has been having room service send up. Met some lovely ladies who've been sleeved over the last few days and it was a great experience for them. Very excited!!

I'm having surgery in the morning! Flew in this morning and have been treated like a queen since I got here - can't keep up with all the drinks, broths and Popsicles the coordinator has been having room service send up. Met some lovely ladies who've been sleeved over the last few days and it was a great experience for them. Very excited!!

Good luck my friend. I'll be thinking about you. Update us asap!

They just took my Mom in then I'm next. I was hoping to go first, I'm feeling a little anxious. Can't help thinking about my daughters and wondering if I'm being selfish putting myself In danger to look better. My Mom did remind me that it will make my life better for my girls as I'll have more energy and self esteem to get out there with them more. She's right. I'll try to think that way. :)

They just took my Mom in then I'm next. I was hoping to go first, I'm feeling a little anxious. Can't help thinking about my daughters and wondering if I'm being selfish putting myself In danger to look better. My Mom did remind me that it will make my life better for my girls as I'll have more energy and self esteem to get out there with them more. She's right. I'll try to think that way. :)

It's not just to look better, you know that. It will add years to your life! You will get to see your grandchildren grow. :)

Hang in there, don't forget to BREATHE, and let us know when you wake up!

Hi I'm Emma I've been an RN for 6 yrs CNA for 3 yrs. I have experience in ICU, ER, Supervision, and now I'm an educator for an LPN program. I had the Lap Band done while in nursing school and was very successful lost 120#. After the birth of my son I began having issues and now I'm having it removed and a sleeve done. Insurance approved the removal at the out of network cost dt me choosing to have the sx in Dallas, TX instead of an Arkansas based surgeons. I have to cover the sleeve portion. I'm really nervous to be doing this again but excited to be back to my skinny size and healthy for my son! Glad to see there are other nurses out there going thru something similar!

I'm home!! Had a wonderful experience with BajaBariatrics in Tijuana, Mexico. I could not speak more highly of the program they offer - completely top notch. Anyone hesitating to go to Mexico for the surgery should not hesitate to contact Dr. Jalil Illan's group. Anyhow....was sleeved this past Tuesday, spent two nights in hospital and two more nights in hotel (with daily in-house visits from the physicians) and flew home today. No complications, minimal gas discomfort, feeling great!! I'm five pounds less than when I left home and looking forward to many more losses. I hope to have worn my winter clothes at this size for the very last time. :)

I'm a student nurse and my surgery date is July 21st...

I am a RN for 10 years, NP for one year. My surgery is July 24th. where will you be having your surgery. mine will be in TJ.

I too am a nursing student with a surgery date of June 2!

So, one week post-op. Of the five incision sites I have, two are still really sore. There's no extra redness, oozing nor any signs of infection but both have large scabs on them. Anyone else experience this? Need advice from fellow medical professionals.

I had glue over mine. At a week, they were reddish and tender but def not hot or infected looking. I had scabbing but the glue covered a lot of the scab. Mine healed surprisingly well (I'm 6 weeks on Thursday). I tend to keloid and these look great!

I had glue over mine. At a week, they were reddish and tender but def not hot or infected looking. I had scabbing but the glue covered a lot of the scab. Mine healed surprisingly well (I'm 6 weeks on Thursday). I tend to keloid and these look great!

Thanks Janey. Just needed a little reassurance. Mine has glue over them, too. I was able to wash the glue off one to have a closer look. Wanted to ensure there wasn't infection hidden underneath. I'll just wait it out and keep and eye on them. :)

11 yrs icu nurse here. Hardest part I think may be the daily deluge of patient appreciation goodies in the break room.