Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

This is an AWESOME idea!!

My name is Nikki! I am 33 yrs and and followed my dream of becoming a nurse when the company I was working for relocated! I have been a RN for almost 3 years and charge nurse on my floor overnights for most of my career! I LOVE my job and work with some amazing individuals!!!

So why is it so many nurses end up 'like this'? Rhetorical or not.

We help others, not ourselves? From here on out, I'm just as important a priority as anyone else in my life. Done putting me last.

Update: I got my insurance approval last week (yay!) and I have just one more test (manometry) on Monday, if all is well then I can set a surgery date.

At work I have only told my supervisor about my surgery. A few close friends know, but most of my family doesn't. That is what I am comfortable with. My fiancé doesn't really want me to have it done, he is worried about the risks and loves me the way I am (and he is a skinny guy!) but he understands my reasons and has been nothing but wonderfully supportive. I cannot WAIT to marry that man, in a "normal" size wedding dress! :)

In the meantime I have prepared as best I can. I quit smoking, exercise more, been increasing my Water intake, and eating meals off of a small salad plate (a suggestion of my surgeon). I lost 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks just doing that. I have read many WLS books, talked to other WLS folks, and ordered samples of many different types of Protein Powder to try after surgery (I hear your tastes can change, post-op). I have purchased WLS cookbooks for the benefit of myself and my family. I have ordered (I love Amazon) a set of small plates, bowls, spoons, and forks to help me with Portion Control and taking smaller bites, as well as a food scale and good quality measuring cups and spoons. I even bought myself a tiny Yorkie puppy to keep me company as I recover from surgery.

OK, so I was going to get a Yorkie anyway eventually, but I figured it would be nice to have a lap dog to cuddle with while I'm off work for 3 weeks. She is a doll and a cuddle bug and we're all madly in love with her. :)

How is everyone else doing? Anyone on their surgery countdown? What have you done to prepare, or what changes have you made that have helped you after surgery?

{{{{Hugs}}}} to all my fellow nurses!

You're heading in the right direction! You're gonna do great! 12 days post op here and doing well!

Susy, I pet her for you. Tiny thing, all of 1.5lb, decided it was play time at 0130 this morning. And I had to get up at 0500 for work. Ugh.

I love her but I'll be glad to get past the puppy stage! :)

I am an LVN in Texas. I put in for the Bridge program this year but turned up as an alternate. Taking the money I had saved for that to have the sleeve. So maybe next year I will get accepted and have the energy for clinical..lol...

Hello everyone. I'm an Rn from Cincinnati ohio. I just got done with the 6 month doctor supervised weight loss plan that my insurance company had me do. Add far as I know my paper work was submitted and now I'm just waiting on approval. I'm glad to be a part of this forum and please feel free to message me.

post-201018-0-20803000-1395910272_thumb.png

[ATTACH]42797[/ATTACH]

Congratulations on your decision! I work in PACU and also opted to go to a different hospital where I don't know anyone. I'm 11 months post op, 80 lbs lost and 3 lbs to goal. I took one week vacation so counting the weekends I went back to work on post op day 10. You should do fine with your liquids as long as your cases are a bit shorter. A long case might be a problem in the beginning. The first week back I would eat a plain Greek yogurt but throw half of it out when nobody was looking because a full container was too much. Till this day nobody knows I had the surgery. We do quite a bit of Bariatrics at my place and I hear the remarks my coworkers make especially when hospital staff have the surgery...they aren't fat enough, they should just go to weight watchers. I wanna scream "Listen you judge mental beotch, if the insurance covers it, trust me, she's fat enough!!!!!!!"

I'm not a nurse, I'm a tech at a hospital. I also decided to have my surgery at a different hospital also. I work in post op recovery floor. We also get WLS patients and I hear all the comments from the nurses and other techs..that's why I would never do it at my hospital. Even though my out if pocket insurance will cost more. .not telling them a damn thing. I plan on telling my manager when she comes in 5 his morning. That I will be having surgery 4/15..she better not ask what surgery I'm having. .

Update: I got my insurance approval last week (yay!) and I have just one more test (manometry) on Monday, if all is well then I can set a surgery date.

At work I have only told my supervisor about my surgery. A few close friends know, but most of my family doesn't. That is what I am comfortable with. My fiancé doesn't really want me to have it done, he is worried about the risks and loves me the way I am (and he is a skinny guy!) but he understands my reasons and has been nothing but wonderfully supportive. I cannot WAIT to marry that man, in a "normal" size wedding dress! :)

In the meantime I have prepared as best I can. I quit smoking, exercise more, been increasing my Water intake, and eating meals off of a small salad plate (a suggestion of my surgeon). I lost 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks just doing that. I have read many WLS books, talked to other WLS folks, and ordered samples of many different types of Protein powder to try after surgery (I hear your tastes can change, post-op). I have purchased WLS cookbooks for the benefit of myself and my family. I have ordered (I love Amazon) a set of small plates, bowls, spoons, and forks to help me with Portion Control and taking smaller bites, as well as a food scale and good quality measuring cups and spoons. I even bought myself a tiny Yorkie puppy to keep me company as I recover from surgery.

OK, so I was going to get a Yorkie anyway eventually, but I figured it would be nice to have a lap dog to cuddle with while I'm off work for 3 weeks. She is a doll and a cuddle bug and we're all madly in love with her. :)

How is everyone else doing? Anyone on their surgery countdown? What have you done to prepare, or what changes have you made that have helped you after surgery?

{{{{Hugs}}}} to all my fellow nurses!

How did anyone go about telling their manger? Did you have to tell them what surgery you were having done?

I told my manager what type of surgery I'm having because I will need to have Water with me at all times, which goes against policy in our Unit. I did ask her not to tell anyone else. I'm telling everyone else I'm having my gallbladder out (which is also true).

My manager was very supportive and encouraged me to take whatever time off I needed in order to feel strong when I come back. I've decided to take 3 weeks off.

Good luck!

I am a nurse manager. I told only my close fellow mangers and my assistant directors. I told my CNO who is my direct report. I know my staff will figure it out but I don't want my weight to be the topic of conversation at the nurse station everyday. I think we all have enough to gossip about and give our opinion on - we don't need any other distractions. Managers are not legally allowed to ask what kind of surgery but only if you'll have restrictions. It's a very personal journey that requires good support. I have pretty tough battle armor but I still don't want to get into "how much have you lost, what do you eat, do you cheat, are you hungry, what if it doesn't work, you know so and so gained all theirs back, how much skin will you have?" That's all TMI in my opinion. Good luck to all of you! As a manager, I'd be extremely supportive of an employee who wanted to do this. I did the bedside for 14 years. I went into management partly because my obesity, being in my forties, I just didn't know how I was physically going to be able to do it. I'm down 45 (pre and post) and my knees and feet are already so much better! Best wishes for those of you just starting out!!!