Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Hi all! I'm a NICU RN and was sleeved on May 14,2014. HW 235. SW 225. Today am 188. Having issue with milk products. Never been lactose intolerant before. The bloating and nausea is unreal. Has taken me 24 hours to get over a Greek yogurt! Any suggestions to deal with this? I get a lot of my Protein from dairy :)

I don't have any advice but I hope that doesn't happen to me I love dairy , but I do get the impression from others that are much further along in their journeys that things like intolerances change rapidly so maybe this will pass... Good luck!!

Edited by vanessak8

So I went for my nutrition appt yesterday and left feeling very defeated. I am one month post op and can eat basically whatever I want. I thought I wasn't getting enough calories since I was in a stall and haven't lost anything in almost 3 weeks, but the nutritionist said that she thinks it is from not getting enough Protein. Now let me admit that I was drinking things like sweet tea, but not daily and had started drinking gatorade and/or G2 and apparently this is a no no too. :wacko: So I am supposed to get 40 grams of Protein daily, I think I was getting an average of 25-30 but was eating carbs and some frutis and veggies, again a no no. She said strictly Proteins and zero calorie drinks. Did I mention I work 8-5ish and she wants me to eat 5 times a day, really?! I want this surgery to work, so I will do what she says and hope that the weight starts coming down again.

Also just to share, my surgeon told me that flinstone gummies and viactiv were okay to take, she said NO, no gummies and no viactiv so today I have to go search out some Vitamins that has everything in it that needs to be there along with Biotin.

How do you all handle eating so often during the day, as nurses we can't constantly eat or drink and that is what she is asking me to do. I really do not like eggs, so that doesn't help me get that high source of protein first thing in the morning. Suggestions and other experiences with stalls and protein intake.

<p> So I went for my nutrition appt yesterday and left feeling very defeated. I am one month post op and can eat basically whatever I want. I thought I wasn't getting enough calories since I was in a stall and haven't lost anything in almost 3 weeks, but the nutritionist said that she thinks it is from not getting enough Protein. Now let me admit that I was drinking things like sweet tea, but not daily and had started drinking gatorade and/or G2 and apparently this is a no no too. :wacko: So I am supposed to get 40 grams of Protein daily, I think I was getting an average of 25-30 but was eating carbs and some frutis and veggies, again a no no. She said strictly Proteins and zero calorie drinks. Did I mention I work 8-5ish and she wants me to eat 5 times a day, really?! I want this surgery to work, so I will do what she says and hope that the weight starts coming down again.</p> <p> Also just to share, my surgeon told me that flinstone gummies and viactiv were okay to take, she said NO, no gummies and no viactiv so today I have to go search out some Vitamins that has everything in it that needs to be there along with biotin.</p> <p> How do you all handle eating so often during the day, as nurses we can't constantly eat or drink and that is what she is asking me to do. I really do not like eggs, so that doesn't help me get that high source of protein first thing in the morning. Suggestions and other experiences with stalls and protein intake.</p>

I'm still home so I haven't had to deal with the challenges of eating frequently at work but before I had the surgery which was just 4 days ago my nutritionist suggested that I keep Protein Bars with me as a way to get calories and protein on my supervised diet. There were days at work that I might not get to eat lunch until. 4-5 pm in the evening. I work in a busy level 3 NICU and I do resource and PICCS so I am super busy most days. I also work 12 hour shifts. I also started always drinking a Protein Drink in my way to work. It was usually Adkins chocolate delight with 1 cup skin milk and a scoop of plain whey protein. That is a total if 43 grams of protein.

I could finish that before I got to work which might be difficult now with a smaller

<p> So I went for my nutrition appt yesterday and left feeling very defeated. I am one month post op and can eat basically whatever I want. I thought I wasn't getting enough calories since I was in a stall and haven't lost anything in almost 3 weeks, but the nutritionist said that she thinks it is from not getting enough Protein. Now let me admit that I was drinking things like sweet tea, but not daily and had started drinking gatorade and/or G2 and apparently this is a no no too. :wacko: So I am supposed to get 40 grams of Protein daily, I think I was getting an average of 25-30 but was eating carbs and some frutis and veggies, again a no no. She said strictly Proteins and zero calorie drinks. Did I mention I work 8-5ish and she wants me to eat 5 times a day, really?! I want this surgery to work, so I will do what she says and hope that the weight starts coming down again.</p> <p> Also just to share, my surgeon told me that flinstone gummies and viactiv were okay to take, she said NO, no gummies and no viactiv so today I have to go search out some Vitamins that has everything in it that needs to be there along with biotin.</p> <p> How do you all handle eating so often during the day, as nurses we can't constantly eat or drink and that is what she is asking me to do. I really do not like eggs, so that doesn't help me get that high source of protein first thing in the morning. Suggestions and other experiences with stalls and protein intake.</p>

I work in a busy 100 bed level 3 NICU. I am only 4 days post op and won't be going back to work until Labor Day weekend so I have lots if time to figure out my plan... But prior to my surgery I often went all day with out eating because I was busy. I'm a resource nurse and place PICCS. My nutritionist recommended that I keep Protein Bars with me. I also had a Protein Drink on my way to work... I could drink this on my way which might be difficult now that my stomach is smaller but it was an Adkins chocolate delight plus 1 cup skim milk and a scoop of plain whey protein. It had 43 grams of protein in one drink.

As far as food and protein it is a bummer that you don't like eggs but do you like Beans? I have seen some really yummy refried bean recipes with cheese. If you want tee use Stevia or Splenda. Don't deny yourself just make smart substitutes. Your success depends solely in you and the choices you make. Good luck. Also not sure why she doesn't like gummies or viactive but they were ok'd by my surgeon too.

I've been off for 5 weeks, doc didn't want me lifting yet. I work in a crazy busy ER where we see 95k pts a year! I'm going back 8/3 after surgery on 6/16 at this point I'm going to be on soft foods until a week after I get back to work. Then I can resumed a reg diet! I'm pretty attached to my Protein Shakes, hoping I have time to make one at work!

@ tabby 76

My surge I said Flinstones and viactive were ok. Did you nutritionist say why she did not like them?

Also. I work in a busy 100 bed level 3 NICU. I often would not get to eat until late in a 12 hour shift. When I started this journey Feb 6 (I had my surgery July 14th) the nutritionist and surgeon were very concerned because nurses are notorious for not taking care of themselves... So the plan was to carry Protein bars with me and most mornings I would make a protein drink to drink in my way to work. It consisted of a Adkins chocolate delight ( because I really liked the flavor) 1 cup skim milk and a scoop of vita cost plain whey protein. This drink had 43 grams of protein. I could before surgery drink it on my way to work which will be difficult now but I think still doable.

I do not have to go back to work until Labor Day weekend so I personally will have plenty if time to figure out my plan and I will also be into eating soft/ regular foods. I fortunately like eggs but do you like refried Beans? I have seen some delicious recipes with refried beans and I for one can not wait to be able to eat pureed soft foods.

As far as indulging in sweet tea and calories drinks you will definitely sabotage your success.

I had trouble finding a Vitamin with Iron in it, finally found Centrum makes a chewable which my dietician approved. I was also told to always eat my protien first, and if you eat the right amount you won't be hungry for any thing else.

The nutritionist said that gummies did not have the right amt of Vitamins that we needed after wls not did it have the minerals in it that's needed. I refuse to buy the bariatric vitamins, so she did say Centrum silver was a good substitute. Also citracal instead of viactiv because viactiv is Calcium carbonate and we need calcium citrate, no Ca carb due to us having a decrease in hydrochloric acid after surgery. They make a citracal petite which should be easy to swallow and I'm going to cut the Multivitamin in half and try it. My doc said I didn't have to crush pills if I didn't vomit them after trying to take them once, so we will see.

As for Protein Shakes, the nut told me no, she wants me eating food, well damn that's not always possible, especially in nursing. But I am going to look at the special K Protein bars.

I am very frustrated at this stall, i didn't think that protein only was good for you for an extended amount of time, but I am going to cut out the sweet tea and sugary drinks and see if that helps any. I managed to get in my 40 grams today, but I also ate the bun with the burger I had for dinner. :( I just hope the stall passes very soon.

So I started my tube feed, {ah-hem}, I mean Optifast diet yesterday and am already wishing I could eat real food. Practically drooled over my patients dinner tray last night when I was doing his assessment. I don't feel hungry, thank goodness, but I wish there was something more savory than just a bunch of sweet tasting shakes and the horrible, sweet bars. Must think positive thoughts! Oh boy this is going to be a trying three weeks.

My surgeon and NUT don't recommend any particular type of Vitamins. They are only a supplement, most of your nutrition (minerals, etc) should come from food. I don't take viactiv because it is Calcium carbonate which isn't well absorbed. I take calcium citrate, Wallgreens brand, petites. For a Multivitamin I take Vitafusion gummies with hair, skin, and nail support (extra Biotin, lutein, etc). I also take sublingual B12 , 2 a day because my energy has been low and my surgeon said you can't OD on it and 10,000 IU of D3 because my D was very very low.

On the positive side I'm off my BP med and I've lost 40 lb in the last 2.5 months, putting my BMI at 33. :)

I still have nausea from time to time if I don't chew well enough or eat something too greasy or just not tolerated so I have to be careful what I eat but I'm pretty happy with my diet. I'm used to the tiny portions now and I feel like food doesn't have the power over me now that it once did. That first month was pretty rough though, much harder than I expected, so you new people should be prepared for that but keep in mind it gets WAY better so hang in there and be patient!

Also I was in a stall at 206 lb for 2 full weeks. My surgeon said to expect that as my body was trying to establish a new setpoint. Also I was losing fat and gaining muscle and just hang in there and stay the course. I didn't do anything different, but this week the stall broke and I lost 6 lb!

The new folks: your job is to concentrate on fluids and Protein. That's it. Worry about the other stuff down the line when you are cleared for regular foods, but always be mindful of your fluids and protein intake.

Good luck everyone!

I have finally stated loosing again. down another pound. In the last month I have noticied I have more energy, feel better and am able to do more things without giving out. I am looked forward to a great summer.

Is anyone having problems with flatus. I am not sure if it is the Protein I am drinking, I have changed my food intake and it has helped a bit but it is still of great concern to me. anyone help!!!!!

Hello All...very excited to have found this group. I'm a second career RN,BSN. I worked in the ER, Dermatology SX and now I'm a clinical trainer working on my NP @Drexel. I was recently sleeved 7/28. I'm down 23lbs total inlcuding 15 preop. I'm going back to work tomorrow ugh...I'm on light duty (desk, no travel) for 2 weeks.

I admitting to advancing my diet to chopped foods and then I chew really well. I only eat 4 tablespoons of food and I feel fantastic, except I'm lactose Intolerant I've tried so many different types of milk, lactaid, almond milk, soy, silk etc with a lactaid pill and I get major GI upset. I don't have any issues eating food. Does this happen to anyone else?

Wow -go girl ! what was that just over a week off-I haven't had any problems with stomach or milk.- my umbilicus puncture site is still sore and I'm having a hard time with so many meds/vitamin! Started adding soft last week - I have to really work at getting all Protein and had headache a couple off days think that was not enough water- I feel like it's work just keeping up with it all and not getting behind- I work on step down unit and took four weeks off. I know once I hit

The floor it will be harder to manage intake- I'm glad you'll be on light duty for a bit!

I was sleeved on July 1 still out of work I am a Rehab nurse so not looking forward to going back to soon dealing with lifting and shifting my patients with hip surgery,broken bones etc.I am soo constipated that I have no desire to eat I have tried everything I could think of any suggestions.

Edited by janeta16