Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

hi everyone!! so cool to find so many nurses!! My name is Angel and I am an RN in southern CA. I have been a nurse for 3 years.. the first couple years I worked in ICU an about 10 months ago I left critical care to work OR. So far I love it!

I have a surgery date.. Sept 14th I will be sleeved! I am thrilled!! My health insurance will not cover WLS so I am self pay and going to Mexico. I have to a couple close friends at work and they are supportive.. and I told a couple others but left out the Mexico part LOL I got some weird looks when I told the first couple that I was going to Mexico which is understandable (a year ago you could have never convinced me I'd be doing this) but after tons of research I feel very comfortable with my decision. I was actually amazed at how many of my coworkers have had WLS!!

Welcome!!! I've heard mostly good things about surgery in Mexico. The surgeon I used actually was performing his procedures in Mexico for a while. Mine was stateside but I'm sure I paid considerably more for my sleeve. :)

I finally announced mine on Facebook (after the fact) so naturally everyone knows my business. Lol. Everyone has been very supportive so far.

yeah I plan on announcing it there too AFTER the fact LOL I have met a LOT of people (including a ton of nurses) who all went to Mexico for their surgery and between talking to them and watching all the youtube videos I was finally swayed.. will also keep it in mind for future plastic surgery should I need it and need to pay for it :)

I'm sure I will need plastic surgery. I've honestly been more worried about saggy skin than the getting the sleeve. I should look into how much it will cost. I need to start socking money away. :)

Hi all!! I'm an RN from Seattle!! I've been a nurse x 32 years! I'm going to Mexicali 8.20.12 for VSG wirh Dr Aceves 8.21.12!! I am so ready for not feeling like a prisoner in my own body!!

I'm glad I found this nurses thread!!

Hey Tinker and Moon! Welcome! :)

Tinker - I was sleeved on 7/19. It's going well too. I'm still battling fatigue but I'm amazed with with how good I feel.

Moon - congrats on getting your date. Let me know how your experience is in Mexico. I'm very curious. One of the nurses I work with is planning on going to Mexico for gastric bypass next year.

Thanks Jenn! I chose Dr Aceves because another friend of mine who is also an RN has the vsg 2 yrs ago with him and has lost 200 lbs!! I'm glad you are doing well!!

So I'm on soft foods this week. Thursday I transition to solids. I've been really nervous about it. And tadaaaaaaaa! I lost my taste for Protein shakes.

I picked up Slim Fast low carb high Protein Shakes. The chocolate one is good but so rich it makes me sick. I've also finally tried Muscle Milk and it's pretty good (so far). I just made Protein pudding. I hope it's good.

On the food front... I've been eating deli sliced meat with hummus or ranch. I found turkey patties and found out each one is a beautiful 31 grams of protein. I'm thinking 1-2 daily and I'm almost set on the protein front.

I guess I'm just venting or being neurotic. Anyone else in similar shoes?

20 years RN, 12 years now as DON in Public Health STD/HIV. 8 years in all aspects of nursing EXCEPT pysch (I'm nutty enough lol) Sleever for the past 3 years and loving it. . .

HI All,

RN for 10 yrs from Southern California,

I just contacted Dr.Aceves office today,

just wondered if any of you can tell me how long it took to schedule your surgery, from your first contact?

Thanks,

Suzanne

HI All' date='

RN for 10 yrs from Southern California,

I just contacted Dr.Aceves office today,

just wondered if any of you can tell me how long it took to schedule your surgery, from your first contact?

Thanks,

Suzanne[/quote']

Doing my surgery in the states with insurance (hopefully) it'll will be 4 months when all is said and done.

I'm a 17 year RN. Sleeved on May 30, 2012. I'm currently a nurse manager at a very small, rural hospital; I'm over Med-Surg, ICU and Outpatient Infusion and Wound Care.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi everyone, I've been a RN for 24 years. The last years a Psych-Mental Health nurse. I was sleeved on 8-8-12.

I'm ready to control my weight;

not let the weight control me.