Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wtf! 3 Wks Out And Only Lost 8 Lbs?!?

3 weeks out, and you can eat 1/2 a sandwich & 4 oz of strawberries? That sounds like way too much to me, I'm about 10 weeks and 3-4oz is all I can handle. Not to mention, if you are doing this every 3 hours, that's 5 times in a 15 hour day, it adds up pretty quick. Does this fit into your prescribed meal plan at 3 weeks? The strawberry seeds alone I believe are cause for concern, I've heard of them causing problems in the staple line this early out.

I'm glad to see you will be consulting a NUT, does he/she have experience advising sleeve patients?

Like most of the folks posting, the idea of eating bread caused me to raise my eyebrows, too. I'm 6 weeks post-op (today), and bread is a major no-no (along with rice and pasta). A typical "lunch" for me consists of 1/4 cup of tuna salad (with fat-free Miracle Whip, and sugar-free pickle relish), and a TBSP or two of fat-free cottage cheese. All Protein, all the time. I'm not able to eat enough Protein yet to get to veggies...much less fruit (which will always come last, because of the sugar/carbs in them). Protein always comes first....if I'm still hungry after my protein, or if my protein is a little dry, I will add some mashed soft veggies (cauliflower, carrots, green Beans, etc)...but only a very small amount. Part of the goal of the "eat high protein, low carb" plan we're given is to put our bodies into ketosis...which burns fat quickly (think Adkins). I'm all for staying well away from carbs...particularly starchy things (breads, Pasta, etc) and sweet things (fruits).

Best of luck to you!

You can have sandwiches (with bread? !?) at only 3 weeks out? I'm 3 weeks out and I still can't even have pureed food.

LOL! That's what I'm saying. And raw fruit is banned for me until 6 weeks.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my surgery and I've already had a one week stall. I just kept eating and drinking as the doctor ordered and have lost 4lbs in the last week. I believe that as long we keep doing the right things, the weight has to come off. The other thing I keep hearing is to take your measurements, it helps to see those numbers go down even when the scale doesn't budge. Good luck to you! :)

My sister is 6 days post-op and 8 lbs down. She is still on a clear liquid diet...tomorrow she can finally introduce Protein Shakes, sugar free/fat free pudding and some sugar free/fat free foods. After that, she goes on to the pureed stage of mushy foods for 7--14 days, then slowely introduces solid foods, but very carefully. No fruit/veggies for months post-op, and no bread for months, if ever. She also walks 1/2 a day. Every surgeon's idea of a diet post-op is different, but maybe you are moving a little too quickly post-op! Strawberries are high in sugar! Bread, even whole grain, is high in carbs and empty calories! Maybe try to stick to Protein first! Good luck :)

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my surgery and I've already had a one week stall. I just kept eating and drinking as the doctor ordered and have lost 4lbs in the last week. I believe that as long we keep doing the right things' date=' the weight has to come off. The other thing I keep hearing is to take your measurements, it helps to see those numbers go down even when the scale doesn't budge. Good luck to you! :) [/quote']

I will be two weeks post-op tomorrow. As with any diet I have ever been on, I don't lose for three days, then I lose a pound a day the next three, stall 3 days, lose 3 days etc.. This time has not been any different. What I find SO exciting is that now I have a tool to help me not become as hungry and to help me sustain after I lose the weight.

If I keep up this rate of loss I will be at my goal weight by Christmas!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS to ME!!! Slow but sure wins the race.

Hi, I'm running into the same problem. I'm 3 weeks out and I stopped seeing a weight change 1-1/2 weeks ago. Again, W.T.H. but with that being said. I need to exercise more. Joining a gym with hubby at the end of week. The past 2 weeks I was traveling and didn't get much exercise in. Post surgery I lost like 15 pounds in just over a week then TOTALLY STOPPED / NOTHING. I have an appointment with my nutritionist tomorrow. Did I mention I'm totally depressed. My clothes feel like I've lost weight, but the scale said hell no you didn't !! I'm going to put in more so I can get better results. Granted some days I was so sick and week I just could not drag myself out of bed to do any exercise. Going into week 3, I physically feel better. I hope their is a change. It's not like I'm not trying, but I know I can do better. You are Soooo Not Alone. Keep us updated, I'll do the same and we WILL get through this together.

My NUT said no bread, Pasta, rice etc until after goal. I eat Protein, green veggies and less than 30 grams of carbs. Also take your measurements as well, you could be losing inches.

My NUT said no bread' date=' Pasta, rice etc until after goal. I eat Protein, green veggies and less than 30 grams of carbs. Also take your measurements as well, you could be losing inches.[/quote']

Mine said the same. I'm not even really supposed to have fruit because of the sugar!

I am so frustrated right now. Today makes 3 weeks since I had the surgery and I have only lost 8 lbs!!! I have been eating less carbs' date=' walking more, and eating more Protein.

What in the heck is going on? I lost more weight than this just eating around 1800 calories a day before I even started the pre-op diet!

Is it always going to be like this? Was it even worth it?[/quote']

I'm going through kinda of the same thing. Tomorrow starts my 3 week post surgery. The first week out I lost around 15 pounds. Yeah. Spectacular. However, the last one and a half weeks not only have I not lost any weight I put on 2 pounds. This is what's going on..... ( I think ). After I got out the hospital I wasn't feeling the best. I walked some, but most of the time I was sick and couldn't walk. Also, I had trouble getting my Protein and fluids in. It was almost as if I could get fluids in or I could get "some" protein in.

Like I mentioned tomorrow starts week 3 ( day 21 post op ). I do have an appointment with my nutritionist tomorrow. Yeah.

Update: The past 3 days is the first that I was able to get an entire Protein shake down + Water and I ate an egg. This is a huge accomplishment for me. Yesterday and today I was able to get a tilapia filet added to my intake. TODAY is the 1st day I reached calorie / protein but not not Water intake goal. I working on it. I'm setup to join a gym at the end of the week with my supportive hubby. I get on the treadmill a few times a week, but now ( and I do mean Just Now ) that I'm feeling better I will be walking more and pushing protein and fluids. I was reading other post. I'm not sure if this is considered a stall. I hear that a stall my happen several times - even in the beginning. One lady posted that it happens, but try not to get discouraged and keep moving forward that things do get better. I get a little depressed but it helps to know, I'm not alone and their is still a bright light.

I'm sorry this is so lengthy, but I would like to add. Kelliecalgary made a post looking and asking for help and "constructive" criticism. I saw more than a few people post very negative information. Granted, I may not agree with some of her nutritious choices but that may no more than talking with or even changing nutritionist. Their really isn't a need to dog her out. Again, some NOT all of the post.

Kellie, I would make an appointment with a nutritionist and explain what is going on with you. As mentioned earlier. I'm in a boat myself. Not much room for me to talk, let alone give advice. All I'm saying is things will get better....for both of us.

Keep us updated and good luck !!

Oh and YES..... IT WAS WORTH IT.

Hi, I can identify with your anxiety about not losing more weight. I am about 1 week ahead of you (July 25) and I have had a similar issue. I got cleared for purée last week and my weight loss has temporarily stalled. It really started to stall when I made changes to my diet, but calories don't lie and I know I will start losing again. There are a lot of factors here to consider that might help you feel better. First, I gained 10 pounds of Water weight in my 3 day hospital stay. So you might consider whether you had some gain due to the IV's that inflated your weight. Second, my surgeon would tell you that one to two pounds lost per week is what he wants to see. Basically very few people keep hydrated properly and some of the big short term weight loss is mostly water and not fat. If you stay the course on calorie intake, water intake and Protein intake your body will eventually heal and get over the trauma and will start burning fat. That difference in your daily calories consumed and that big number of calories your body naturally burns will start generating fat loss for you, but only if you stay true to the plan recommended by your dr. Last suggestion: Make sure you get enough calories. If they are too low, your body tries to preserve itself by hanging on to fat. Whatever the goal is recommended by your dr, try to minimally reach that goal each day. If you have been getting too few calories, sometimes a bump up in calories will jump start weight loss again. We all get really disappointed when we are not losing, but this whole thing is really about math and time. Don't worry about the pounds lost, just work the plan and it will work out.

Update After Seeing My Nutritionist:

I saw my nutritionist today, literally I was almost in tears telling her about my lack of weight loss and then having the audacity to put on 2 pounds.

Long story short... With me eating 500 calories sometimes less a day. She basically told me I went into a "stall " and that it's not uncommon to happen. After being on all liquids for two weeks, when I started to introduce purée foods in to my diet my body was in a starvation mode and tried to store up any fat intake. Every individual is different. She told me that they normally don't like to do this, but I need to slightly increase my carb intake to jump start my weight loss.

Now this is just what she temporarily prescribed for me personally.

THIS IS NOT A FORMAT THAT I AM PASSING ALONG TO OTHERS.....

500 calories per day

35 grams of carbs

60-70 grams of Protein

And yes I have to get my walking in.

I got it in today and I will walk again in the morning when I get up.

I feel much better after talking with my nutritionist. She told me I was doing all of the right things, keep it up. I should be at the end of my stall and my weight should be dropping off in no time.

My husband is my lifeline and my best support. He goes with me to the doctor, he walks with me and he even changed his lifestyle of eating food to support me. He keeps me motivated and pushes me when I want to stop. If you have a strong support, that's half the battle.

Thank you for taking time to read this. Good luck to everyone. Keep strong and keep in touch.