Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Years Out And Still Struggling With A Bit Of Head Hunger

I had my VSG just a little over two years ago (7/13/2010) and I consider myself a success story -- I have maintained a weight loss of about 120 pounds.

I do find that I am still struggling with some head hunger issues. Last night, I took my kids to dinner at a restaurant that specializes in thin crust coal oven baked pizza. It was deliciious. I had one slice and I was absolutely full and knew that if I ate more, I would have trouble and could perhaps get sick. Even though I enjoyed it and was full, I really wanted that second slice and felt cheated because I couldn't have it. Fortunately, I got up from the table to use the restroom which gave me a little time to think of things. If I was full from the first slice and not hungry, why did I want that second slice so badly? The whole experience gave me a little insight into my relationship with food and how things got out of control in terms of my weight.

I also need to realize that I should order only what I can eat comfortably, not what I want to eat. Just the other night, I ordered two tacos for dinner on the way home from work. The first one was great and would have been just enough. Fortunately, as I started to eat the second one, I realized that it would make me feel too full and could possibly make me sick. I promptly spit out what was in my mouth and threw it all out. I felt pretty powerful at that moment.

This has not been an easy journey, but it sure has been interesting.

Brian

Good for you for taking control!!!!!! Congrats on the 120 lbs weight loss.

I know how you feel - sometimes I think "This is going to be for the REST of my life?" Am I crazy? I think we go through phases and just have to chose to be happy about the healthy choice we made and the fact that we can still eat these things, but just in moderation.

Congrats on your weight loss. 120 is my goal too. I still have 72 pounds to go....

Hi Brian

I am only 4.5 months out but I have been on a 3 week holiday to my home country recently.When we go home we eat out all the time...some times twice a day...its holiday after all.

I've had to sit in front of an almost full plate and have that momentary argument with myself every single time.Why do I want to continue eating when I am full and have enjoyed the food and the experience of it so much?

But the moment I convinced myself it is my choice to stop (i dont have a full feeling in my stomach, I get what I call mentally uncomfortable...a thought or feeling in my head that I've had enough) I feel satisfied.

It has made me wonder if this will ever change?Will there ever be a time when I am satisfied when I know I have to stop eating?Or will I have to have this track in my mind forever?I can do it,but it would be nice to just stop and not to have to convince myself I have to stop and be happy about it.

It is very encouraging to see it still matters as much after 2 years,that you practice saying no to yourself now as you did when you were still losing weight.

I must say I have also realized how much people around me really eat and a lot of them also eat way beyond the point of enough.

This sleeve rocks doesnt it?

First of all, congratulations on your loss and your maintenance. I had my surgery in November of the same year that you did.

I do struggle with it sometimes too, feeling cheated because I can't eat more. Sometimes I enjoy the taste so much, that I do wish I could have a little more. You did a great thing leaving the table, it is a testament to your success. Most of the time, I stop, I know my limits. There have been times where I have taken that extra couple of bites and then paid for it afterward. I do not think you are alone with that feeling.

The one thing that has helped me with those situations is something a fellow sleeve patient who was a few more years out than me said. She said that when she feels like that she tells herself, "If I could, I would, and that is how I got here in the first place". Unfortunately, I think emotional eating is something that is very difficult to overcome. I know that I haven't, but I do my best to set up my world that I just can't eat a whole bunch of food that is not as good for me. I don't keep anything in my house that will tempt me...and boy does it suck when I just want some chips because I think they will make me feel better, and there are none. So what do I do, I end up eating a Protein ice cream pop (homemade), or an apple with a little natural Peanut Butter and honey because that is all I have. So I am still eating because I am stressed? Emotional? Whatever the reason which is not real hunger, but I am not sabotaging myself in the process. Make sense??

I should quit rambling, but I appreciate you posting this with honest feelings. It does get harder the further out you are, but to me, it really sounds like you know how to manage your diet in a healthy way. You didn't eat more pizza, you didn't eat the second taco, you made the right choices and you know your bodies limits.

I agree with Supersweetums--it sounds like you made some really great decisions under some emotional circumstances. When I get "hungry" and I've just eaten, I always ask myself if I want an apple or some Tomato. If I'm really hungry, I eat the apple or the tomato (sweet or savory--both low-cal and filling for me). If I don't want the apple or the tomato, it's not really hunger; it's head hunger or boredom or some other "thing." I don't typically eat for emotional reasons, but I definitely enjoy eating; getting up and moving around and finding something productive to do usually gets me off the "I'd like something to eat" train of thought.

Hang in there--seems like you've been pretty proactive in staying on track!

My doc & I are currently working on switching to a sleeve (My LapBand has slipped & I want it out. For me, the LapBand was a huge mistake.). We're waiting for insurance approval. These are the kinds of posts I need to see because I'm having some doubts about myself & the sleeve. It weighs on my mind that I may not be successful & may regret having it done.. It sounds like it's impossible to eat more than your stomach will hold; unlike the band with little or no fill. I keep asking myself if I can give up the food for my health. I was once skinny for about 10 years but that was due to an illness, smoking & 1 meal a day. I hate to shop for clothes & seeing my body in the mirror is not a good thing! You all seem to be doing awesome & recognize your "head desire to eat". Is there hope for me?? My biggest fears are regreting the desicion (it sounds like everyone expierences this sometimes in some capacity) & not being successful. Any advice??

I am a revision and whereas the people thats been sleeved longer can tell you about long term struggles,in the short term the sleeve is what I thought the band would be, and wasnt.

It feels awesome to not be able to eat that much anymore or to not struggle with the band anymore.

What I would like to know from the 2010 sleevers is did the actual physical hunger return?

I am a revision and whereas the people thats been sleeved longer can tell you about long term struggles,in the short term the sleeve is what I thought the band would be, and wasnt.

It feels awesome to not be able to eat that much anymore or to not struggle with the band anymore.

What I would like to know from the 2010 sleevers is did the actual physical hunger return?

For me, yes, but not the same. I do get physically hungry when I haven't eaten for a long time (more 5 hours). It does not feel the same as before surgery though. It is not that gnawing feeling like I am going to starve to death, sometimes almost feel nauseated hunger that I used to get. I can feel it, it is like a little twinge in my stomach. Hard to describe, but really not the same anymore!

O great.This is my biggest fear,that the hunger ( which I dont have anymore,dont know if I really ever had it as I had a lot of head hunger to deal with after surgery) will return.

O well,that is why I am aiming to eat normal even now.So that there just wont be a diet to fall off of ever again.

I agree with Supersweetums. I do get hungry occasionally, but it is not the same feeling that I used to have. Sometimes, in fact, I don't feel the hunger at all and I don't realize that it has been a long time since I have eaten until I start to get a bit of a headache. The best way I can describe the hunger feeling that I do get sometimes is that it is a much "smaller" hunger than I used to have. I like to think that it goes along with the smaller stomach, but maybe that is just psychological. I do find that on the rare occasions when I do get hungry that I have to be careful not to overeat becasue the results are sometimes not so pleasant!

All in all, even with the struggles I have experienced, the decision to have the sleeve was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Brian

I agree with Supersweetums. I do get hungry occasionally, but it is not the same feeling that I used to have. Sometimes, in fact, I don't feel the hunger at all and I don't realize that it has been a long time since I have eaten until I start to get a bit of a headache. The best way I can describe the hunger feeling that I do get sometimes is that it is a much "smaller" hunger than I used to have. I like to think that it goes along with the smaller stomach, but maybe that is just psychological. I do find that on the rare occasions when I do get hungry that I have to be careful not to overeat becasue the results are sometimes not so pleasant!

All in all, even with the struggles I have experienced, the decision to have the sleeve was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Brian

I am glad that you are happy with your decision. From what I can see, you have done amazing! Congratulations!

O great.This is my biggest fear,that the hunger ( which I dont have anymore,dont know if I really ever had it as I had a lot of head hunger to deal with after surgery) will return.

O well,that is why I am aiming to eat normal even now.So that there just wont be a diet to fall off of ever again.

Well, the head hunger never goes away, and I still struggle with it....and I know I most likely always will. But the hunger feeling that I get is not bad at all, and like I said, it is only after hours of not eating (ie, I will eat Breakfast at 6:30am and by noon I might be starting to feel a little hungry). So it is not something I would tell you to worry about. The emotional eating and head hunger is a much bigger demon to deal with. But I personally feel by adopting a normal but healthy diet is the best way to set yourself up for success. I know that I could never go a lifetime eating less than 20 carbs, never eating fruit, or never having an ice cream cone again. So do I eat them, yes, but in moderation. Best of luck!

You have done so great!!!

This is one of my "looming concerns" - the long haul. I know that weight loss maintenance is harder then the losing. I am trying hard now to build those new habits - but I have been obese or overweight for about 42 of my 48 years, so I have no illusions - this will be a lifetime struggle. I appreciate your posting, it gives me hope that i TOO can do it, and make those right decisions.