Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eat What You Want In Moderation Or No?

I've been eating what I want in moderation..and small amounts. How many of you live your life like this and how many are strictly on a life long diet where you refuse to eat anything but healthy? I'm not looking for anyone to slam me or whatever. I'm serious because I'm thinking of making some adjustments to my diet. I make mostly healthy choices but I do still have an occasional goodie that may not be so good for me but not all the time. I'm losing weight but slowly and if this is what is causing me to lose so slow,,I need to make some changes. I'd appreciate any helpful input.

I don't know that I "eat what I want" because if that were the case, I'd be eating Big Macs and Burrito Supremes LOL!! But when I feel like I need some chocolate, I eat a little chocolate. When I feel like I want Cheez-Itz, I go and buy a small bag of Cheez-Itz...I don't deprive myself of anything because I don't want to live on a "diet" for the rest of my life. Plus, my sleeve just won't tolerate a binge...Thank god!! I actually feel like my relationship with food is more "normal" than it's ever been!

I do notice that when my carb intake is up, I lose less. Like you, my weight loss has slowed down at almost 9 months out...but I'm okay with it!! I absolutely LOVE my life now!! I'm doing triathlons (which accounts for my carb cravings much of the time) and I feel great!! I sometimes have to remind myself that I didn't have surgery to lose a certain amount of weight. I had surgery to feel better and to be able to do the things I wanted to do....My goal has already been accomplished!!!

I'm still too early in to give an opinion really based on my own experience, but i do wanna note that you've lost 72 pounds in about seven months, including the fact that you had a leak and regained some Water weight. So it sounds like you're still doing awesome =) I think everyone's journey is a little different and what works for some doesn't work for others. If crossing sweets off your list for the rest of your life doesn't work for you, it may be better to treat yourself once a in while than either feel very deprived or end up eating far too much due to ignoring it for so long. I'm not sure, but either way you are doing a great job. On the up side losing slowly allows your body more time to adjust and you may end up with less loose skin =) I have to keep reminding myself of that so if I ever feel frustrated I can at least be thankful that I might end up with a little less loose skin than I would!

I eat what i want in moderation.. but mainly stick to Protein first. But if i don't allow myself to have some of the things i want, it will make me want it that much more. Eating bad was never a problem for me.. just eating to much. Having pcos really halted my weight loss, no matter how hard i tried.

I have to say that I eat what I want to. The things I want to eat have just changed! I really no longer crave all the junk. I did just have a small piece of pizza and it was good ;) Usually I do make good choices because i love my sleeve and want to treat it well!

I eat what i want in moderation.. but mainly stick to Protein first. But if i don't allow myself to have some of the things i want' date=' it will make me want it that much more. Eating bad was never a problem for me.. just eating to much. Having pcos really halted my weight loss, no matter how hard i tried.[/quote']

What is pcos?

I'm just a month out now so it's a little early to tell. However, I've dubbed this surgery my BIG RESET BUTTON. I know myself enough to know that if I don't follow the rules of the diet, I will not do well. I'm sure once I'm further out, I will allow myself something every now and again but right now I'm going slow and sticking to what I'm allowed. I NEED this and I don't want to go back to my old ways.

What is pcos?

It's polycystic ovarian syndrom. There's a lot of issues that come along with it. If you look it up your will find tons of information.

I haven't figured out this whole thing yet... I recently have been having a lot of rice cakes... Granted they aren't horrible for you... But they are also not good for you either. And I can eat like 3 full cakes at once... Makes me worry about my stomach stretching. But... I feel like I do this more so when I am gettin and have my period (tmi?)

Honestly, my sleeve was so picky in the beginning, and still is about a lot of things, that I have almost completely changed the way I eat since being sleeved. I don't follow any particular plan, no low-carb, low-fat, low-cal, low anything, but I try to eat the healthiest food for volume that my sleeve will tolerate. Yep, I'm a sleeve rebel. LOL That does include yummy things; the definition of my "yummy things" has changed to fruit smoothies, frozen nonfat yogurt--my current crush, melon, and so forth. I think you should do what's right for YOU, understanding the pros and cons of each type of lifestyle. It seems to me like you're doing really well! If the slow pace of your loss is really bothering you, yes, there are things you can do to speed it up. If it isn't really bothering you, GREAT! You've reached peace with your sleeve.

I try to take a long-term outlook on stuff--like what can I imagine myself really doing eating-wise several months from now? Several years from now? How do I want to look/feel? What will best get me to that place? There's room in there for some modest treats, at least in my plan, and an occasional big splurge (I've been on a cruise and I ate that chocolate melting cake!). There it is. That's my life. That's how I feel best--eating mostly extremely healthy with the occasional treat. If I stopped the treats and cut some dairy, I could probably drop the last few pounds faster (or if I'd get off my butt occasionally and exercise!)... yeah. I'm pretty okay with how things are right now. That's what I wish for everyone--to get to a point where things are just "normal," and that normal is pretty darned great.

I know I can't offer advice in this area, because I struggle some with the thought. But here is my theory. While I am in my losing stage I plan on being very strict - I know that if I stray and have... a cheeto, that I won't have very good self control. That is how I got into this situation.

So other than a few times when I have chosen vegetables over Protein, I have been really on track. But it is because that is the way I think I can reach my goal.

And then as I get closer to maintenance and have more room to eat, I am going to slowly add foods to my diet that are healthy and balanced.

I know myself, and food is so tempting to me that there are things that are now off limits. Ice cream, for example. I have classified it as a non food item in my mind. I know there may be times occasionally where I make a bad choice, but I'm doing my best.

I think those who have good self control and are able to have little treats now and again are admirable. I'm just not one of those people yet.

Good luck!

I had my sleeve done on Feb 20th of this year. I have lost 101 pounds. My stomach is very picky. I used to eat all the Pasta and cream sauces and bugers and pizzas. Now I still want it from time to time. But I can't handle it. I feel like some one is punching my gut!! I think its the fat. If I could eat a slice of pizza or taco once or even twice a month I think there's nothing wrong with that. The other thing that I do is I really try not to eat after 5;30pm.... it's just something that I have drilled in my head and it makes a major difference for me and aswell as my family. Best of luck :)

I might have a bite of chocolate, a little bit of ice cream or a cookie every now & then but I don't touch fast food, pizza & really anything greasy and/or deep fried.

I was very very strict with low-carb intake until about 7 months post-op, when I began to eat small amounts of fruit. I had lost 80% of what I thought would be my total weight loss and in truth, all-Protein and green veg was getting really boring. However, my loss slowed down a lot, so I went back to all Protein until I hit my goal of a normal BMI. Then I started adding in more dairy and more fruit.

I don't deprive myself of anything now that I'm at goal, but all those months of not eating sweets has made Desserts less appealing than before surgery, and thankfully I am satisfied with a tiny bite now and not the whole cake.

I do better being strict with myself. Once or twice a week I'll allow myself one bite of what would be considered a treat....a bite of cheesecake, a fried shrimp, an onion ring. The biggest thing for me is I've cut out all starches and simple sugars. No bread, even wheat, no potatoes. I'm trying to eat low glycemic foods only. Eating high glycemic foods causes your body to store more fat, even when you are not eating too many calories. This was always my problem before, I ate so many starches and sugars. I was pre-diabetic. If I didn't eat every 3 hours or so, I got so shaky and irritable. And when that happened it took a lot of food to settle me back down. That's why dieting never worked for me before. The way I'm eating now is easy to maintain. It doesn't feel like a diet. I'm just being more disciplined. I don't need starches anymore to be satisfied. I'm embracing my inner carnivore.