Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On the surface it could seem that way. But when you think of what sleep apnea is, it really does make sense.

sleep apnea is when you stop breathing while you sleep, this causes the oxygen levels in your blood to dop to dangerously low levels, also startles you while you sleep, thus preventing you from falling into a deep REM cycle. The REM cycle is when your body is the most efficient at rejuvenating itself.

So, say pre CPAP you never get to a REM cycle but with the CPAP your sleep quality is so improved that you can get 3-4 cycles in 5 hours you will actually feel more refreshed with less sleep.

Yes I am looking forward to getting some good REM sleep lol

Also, another added benefit. Higher blood oxygen levels have proven to help in weight loss.

On the surface it could seem that way. But when you think of what sleep apnea is, it really does make sense.

sleep apnea is when you stop breathing while you sleep, this causes the oxygen levels in your blood to dop to dangerously low levels, also startles you while you sleep, thus preventing you from falling into a deep REM cycle. The REM cycle is when your body is the most efficient at rejuvenating itself.

So, say pre CPAP you never get to a REM cycle but with the CPAP your sleep quality is so improved that you can get 3-4 cycles in 5 hours you will actually feel more refreshed with less sleep.

Not to pick an argument, but it is actually the deeper stages of sleep that are the most restorative. REM sleep is important, but most people with apnea may skip REM sleep altogether their first few nights on cpap as their body plays catch-up. This was explained to me during my sleep studies.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/what-happens-when-you-sleep

I personally feel that I do get less sleep while using the CPAP. I am waiting on mine to arrive. I think I should be getting it any day now.

My dr. did mention that getting a good night sleep does help with weight loss. He mentioned that while having lack of sleep makes us eat more to have energy to keep going during the day as where when you get enough sleep and are rested we don't need to use food for energy.

Not to pick an argument' date=' but it is actually the deeper stages of sleep that are the most restorative. REM sleep is important, but most people with apnea may skip REM sleep altogether their first few nights on cpap as their body plays catch-up. This was explained to me during my sleep studies.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/what-happens-when-you-sleep[/quote']

That's actually a very interesting article. My last sleep study was in 2005, so I will conceded, my info may be dated or simply rusty. I have to say that skipping REM is one I've never heard of. Looks like something else for me to research. :)

I just went to my followup visit yesterday to discuss the results of the second sleep study (with CPAP). Apparently, I went from having 28-100 interruptions an hour (without CPAP) to only 2 (with CPAP). I also had no leg movements. CPAP machine has been ordered and they said it should be delivered to me by the end of the week. Can't wait to get some quality sleep.

I just went to my followup visit yesterday to discuss the results of the second sleep study (with CPAP). Apparently, I went from having 28-100 interruptions an hour (without CPAP) to only 2 (with CPAP). I also had no leg movements. CPAP machine has been ordered and they said it should be delivered to me by the end of the week. Can't wait to get some quality sleep.< /p>

WOW 28-100!! I wonder how many i had. I am waiting for my results. They gave me the CPAP in the middle of my first study, so I dont have to go back for another one first. Man that made me feel kinda scared to sleep without the CPAP now... but i mean. I guess i have been doing it for 27 years.

I hope you get it soon and you do get good quality sleep. I used mines only 1 night and i woke up feeling pretty tired. So im hoping i just have to get used to it or something.

You have to adjust to the machine you feel crappy while getting used to it its like your body doesn’t understand, it was doing all this fitful crazy sleeping now air is being forced into it and its trying to do what it was naturally doing but its being stopped so its going crazy adjusting at the start.

Getting used to it is annoying the masks the air the not feeling too hot when you wake up thinking its easier and more comfortable without but once your over that hurdle and sleeping you do just drift off and sleep very well.

You will notice the benefits while awake more than asleep the headaches go, the feeling groggy and tired go, the actual falling asleep randomly go.

Before I had mine I was restless in my sleep sitting up, throwing myself back, I would even get to a point where I was tossing and turning so much I would do the sitting up lean back with pillows behind me and sleep like that, then push them out the way and lay back down and over and over.

When I got my cpap I started on my right side and woke on my left hardly moving all night.

Personally I have never taken sleeping pills and never would I think your body should naturally adjust to everything than drugging it up to deal with it but that’s just my personal opinion.

BTW- I saw the coolest CPAP mask yesterday. It was a soft-material mask, instead of plastic. It looks like it is made for women, and even comes in animal prints. I so want to try it.

I'm glad I've already lost enough weight that my apnea has resolved. I didn't have any problem with the machine itself, but could not get a mask to not leak at my eyes without leaving a red mark on my nose. Had a few good nights, so I know it does work.

I used a CPAP machine for 10 years before getting the surgery. I couldn't NOT use it before or I would feel like crap the next day. I never thought I'd be off it. My surgeon told me before I had surgery that 70% of people are able to get off the machine entirely after losing all their weight. After 120 lbs gone and only 20 lbs from goal I can say I'm finally free from that machine and the sleep apnea is cured. Thank the Lord!

I'm glad I've already lost enough weight that my apnea has resolved. I didn't have any problem with the machine itself, but could not get a mask to not leak at my eyes without leaving a red mark on my nose. Had a few good nights, so I know it does work.

I felt like the mask was to big for me too. I would wake up with red marks then eventually turned into a bruise. Not a pretty sight.

I used a CPAP machine for 10 years before getting the surgery. I couldn't NOT use it before or I would feel like crap the next day. I never thought I'd be off it. My surgeon told me before I had surgery that 70% of people are able to get off the machine entirely after losing all their weight. After 120 lbs gone and only 20 lbs from goal I can say I'm finally free from that machine and the sleep apnea is cured. Thank the Lord!

I really hope I am in the 70% because I can't use the CPAP either.

2nd night sleeping with my CPAP was much better. I woke up kinda groggy but during the day i have had more energy that i have for years.

It actaully feels weird to not be sleepy lol. I automatically think im sleepy then i realize im not lmao.

Only issue i have is that I have to strap it tight so that it stays on, and the strap hurts the back of my neck, give me a little headache, but I supposed ill get used to that too!

Yes i pray I am in that 70% as well!!