Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I did a home study test for sleep apnea and the results came back positive for Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

I went to a class today and it's mild 9.25 is the number they gave me. They set me up with a machine that I will use for 1 week. THen I go back and get my own.

I am wondering if you had sleep apnea did you have to wait longer to have the actual surgery?

Did the sleep apnea go away when you lost the weight?

How long did you use the CPAP before you noticed a change?

Thanks..

i didn't have my surgery yet. My sleep test score was 12. I noticed a change in my sleeping about a week out.Now, 5 years later, without the cpap I don't sleep well.

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was apprehensive about the machine as well, but I'm starting to like it. With regular use, I have been sleeping very well with it. The facial contraption takes some getting used to, but overall, it's not too bad. I was told to bring the machine to the hospital on the day of surgery.

Ironic, I'm getting my sleep study done tonight. I'm hoping they find something because that will give me another reason to get the surgery. My husband says I snore like a truck driver so I'm guessing yes

I started the approval process June 6th Had to have sleep study June 13 I have sleep apnea. I got a machine and use it everynite. I could tell the difference when they did the tritation and found the right pressure setting. I slept much better then and now. I had an extra 4 weeks before approval because of the tests. I was told by my PCP and surgen that the sleep apnea should go away once I have significant weight loss. Not sure how much weight that will be. I have read that some surgens require a certain amount of time on the machine before they will do surgery. Mine only required starting treatment. Hope that helps.

i have sleep apnea...i had surgery on May 2, 2012... i was really bad, so tired because i was not getting into REM sleep mode...there were days at work, i wasn't sure if i could make it through the day without a nap (or falling asleep at my deck)... so, when i got my CPAP machine about 8 years ago, i could feel the difference in about 3 days... no longer felt like i needed a nap... even now, if i lay down to read, i use my machine in case i fall asleep...

i took my machine with me when i had surgery per doctors request ...

sincerely surgery, i have lowered the pressure but still use it... will i ever get to stop? i don't know if i would stop even if told i could....not unless they did another sleep study and proved to me, on paper, that i no longer stopped breathing while i slept...

its nothing to ignore, people die from it...

i found out in had it it didnot hold up my surgery i was sleeved in april on the 10th ilost a total of 45 pounds wen i lost my first 30 pounds i was then off the machine they had to retest me cause i was feeling so bad gettin in to much air iam now off the machine it was the best day of my life good luck

I found out I had mild sleep apnea during the pre op phase. I had to show that I could use the machine throughout the night before I could get a surgery date. I used it for about a week then had a report printed out that showed I was using it and that was enough.

@jacksmommy, make sure to buy some hot oil treatment for your hair. They put leads on your scalp and they put some kind of goop in your hair that doesn't Shampoo out. The oil gets it out like magic. Good luck!

Thank you so much for all of the great responses. I feel much better about the whole situation.

I will try it tonight and see how it goes. I am really, really going to try using it so the report shows I do use it. I don't want them saying I'm noncompliant and prolong the surgery date.

Thanks.

Hello!!

Well I used the CPAP machine last night and it was HORRIBLE. I feel way more exhausted and a light headache.

At first when the first gush of air started flowing in I thought I was going to die. I had to have about 3 tries before I could even relax. The hoses and that little noise of air flowing are just very annoying. I kept waking up every so often. Maybe that's why I am tired. Oh and to top it off I wake up and notice my face is swollen. Ugh! However I did leave it on all night. I wanted to take it off so bad but just remember I need the surgery even more. I do have a phone appointment with the nurse practitioner, should I mention any of this, or will I seem like a whiney little ..bleep?

It takes a while to get used to it. Some days I able to use it through the night and some days I only keep it on a few hours.

Oh man.

Well I wish i could contribute to answering you r question, but I am pre-op and have not yet had my study. HOWEVER, i am pretty sure I will need the CPAP and your description kinda scared me there lol.

Well I sure hope it gets better for you, and that you are able to move forward with surgery!! Keep us posted!

Hello!!

Well I used the CPAP machine last night and it was HORRIBLE. I feel way more exhausted and a light headache.

At first when the first gush of air started flowing in I thought I was going to die. I had to have about 3 tries before I could even relax. The hoses and that little noise of air flowing are just very annoying. I kept waking up every so often. Maybe that's why I am tired. Oh and to top it off I wake up and notice my face is swollen. Ugh! However I did leave it on all night. I wanted to take it off so bad but just remember I need the surgery even more. I do have a phone appointment with the nurse practitioner, should I mention any of this, or will I seem like a whiney little ..bleep?

It does take a little while to get used to. Does your machine have a "ramp up" on the air flow? I know with mine when I first start it the air flow is very gentle. I have it set so that it takes about 40 minutes to get up to full flow. That helps a lot. Also, if your face was swollen your mask might have been too tight. Did you get your CPAP and supplies through a medical supply company? I found that if one mask doesn't work there are many, many others to chose from. I use a mouth only mask with nose "pillows" to provide air flow through my nostrils. It's so comfortable.

As to the OP, I can't live without my CPAP now. I sleep better, don't snore, and I wake up more refreshed. I do need to see my pulmonologist to see if my machine needs to be adjusted as I've lost a considerable amount of weight. As I have severe apnea, I'll probably be on it for a while but the hope is one day I won't need it any more.

Hello!!

I feel the same way! :)

Just got my machine a couple weeks ago. The first 4-5 days I was able to use the mask without any (major) problems. Now the mask has developed a seriously loud whistle every time I exhale which is unbearable! It only happens after the machine "ramps up" and usually just as I'm about to fall asleep - which wakes me up. I've tried dealing with the noise but end up yanking the mask off and not using it. I finally gave up after trying all the troubleshooting tips in the manual (cleaning with vinegar, tightening/loosening straps, etc.)

I did contact the DME company that issued my mask and machine and I have a 30-day window to exchange the mask. I made an appointment for tomorrow night so I'm hoping they can either issue me a new mask or adjust the pressure on the machine (I think that's the real problem!).

You may want to call the company that issued you the mask and machine and let them know! Don't worry about thinking you are being whiny! This is your health at stake here - you are your own best advocate! If something isn't working for you, let your voice be heard!