Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 8/1, Dreading Pre-Op Diet And New App

How did everyone do today? My hunger was much more manageable today. I remembered to take my sublingual B-12 drops this morning and it made a world of difference!! Whoo hoo!

@MsDallasSleever, my doctor advises that I will need to take sublingual B-12 for the rest of my life. B-12 is absorben in the stomach, so by taking it that way my risk of developing a deficiency is reduced. I'm taking it now to help with energy while my carb/calorie intake is low, similar to the HCG diet.

What day is your surgery?

August 23 and I can't stop stuffing my damn mouth.

OK, I will sooo be taking my sub-lingual B-12 tomorrow...I didnt even think about that for energy NOW, although I do have it ready for post-op,

Did a little better today - but so far I have been able to have 1 high Protein meal like salad with chicken, turkey, etc. supposed to be for dinner, but I have been switching between lunch and dinner. But, this week is the countdown of last 7 days and it is full liquids, then at 3 days pre-op Clear Liquids only. So, I am buckling down and getting ready I know I am about to be hungry!

Worth every single hunger pang and vicious stomach growl .....this time next week I will be resting in the hospital bed on the losers bench....woot woot!

Finishing up day #4...9 more to go and then 1 day of just Clear Liquids (broth, Jello, water) and then surgery. It's not been terrible, but it hasn't been a walk in the park either. The most uncomfortable part has been the gas..I feel terribly bloated and full of air. It's been a long time since I've done a high Protein diet of any sort, I forgot that this is a part of it.

I did OK today. I did struggle with some hunger (head hunger, I am sure). I am ready for bed so I can call it a day. Only 5 more days of liquids before surgery. Ready for this weekend because I get to spend it with my hubby and we have lots of things to do around the house. Time to get the suitcases out and get ready to start packing for our trip to MX, maybe that will keep my mind off of food.< /p>

Confession: I was a bear yesterday, I just want everyone to leave me alone!!! Fortunately my hubby and son are going out of town today...good for them and good for me. My head hunger was worse today, I'm thinking stress.

Today is a new day and I'm going to make it a good one! Monday I go for my final doctor appointments and preregister at the hospital, Tuesday I do my EGD, and Wednesday SURGERY!!

Lets get this show on the road. Big hugs, friends!!!

Hey Slenderella...sounds like things are moving right along for you. Minus feeling like a bear- but we all have those days!! Head hunger will do that to a person!

It's the morning of Day #5 and it has really hit me how tired I am. I couldn't sleep much last night. My stomach was making the craziest and loudest of noises. I'm going to attempt to get through my morning kettlebell class but to be honest, I have zero energy. As I've been entering information into My Fitness Pal, it looks like I'm taking in about 800 calories...so it's no wonder I am so lethargic. Really looking forward to getting past all this.

Onward and upward!!

I'm really struggling with this pre-op diet. I am so famished. I look forward to taking my Vitamins so I can chew something, and I am probably drinking my weight in Decaf herbal tea. I heard the Japanese believe that a happy tummy is a warm tummy. So, I'm rolling with it. I just don't know how I can get through the 10th! It's agony!

I am so worried about this preop diet my 2 grandchildren live with me so constant food there 4 and 1 week 2 my husband is going to be out of town seriously considering checking into a hotel

Oh thank you for posting this..I needed a place to go to put my thoughts out there into cyberspace. I broke up with food last night. Today is day one of a 2 week pre op diet. Surgery is scheduled for 8/6. I think right now what I am feeling is primarily mental. I feel "fuzzy" ... like the beginnings of what it must be like to go through withdrawals. I know I sound a bit dramatic...and I know it will pass as my body gets accustomed to not eating everything in sight. Or just to be able to eat when I want to.

I am on a 3 shake/2 bar diet (breakfast shake' date=' snack bar, lunch shake, snack bar, dinner shake). I am allowed certain veggies. I think I will go invest in a few bags of those veggie steamer bags.

Thanks for the app suggestion. I will definitely go check it out! Looking forward to sharing our trials, tribulations and successes!!![/quote']

Hi I'm TJ and I'm scheduled for surgey the same day. Best Wishes!!

I'm really struggling with this pre-op diet. I am so famished. I look forward to taking my Vitamins so I can chew something, and I am probably drinking my weight in Decaf herbal tea. I heard the Japanese believe that a happy tummy is a warm tummy. So, I'm rolling with it. I just don't know how I can get through the 10th! It's agony!

Beth, just take one day at a time. It is challenging, but nothing worth having comes easy. This is doable, thousands have gone before us and if we take each day as they come it doesn't seem so impossible. I was thinking today, I can't believe I've made it five days without food!!! Amazing when you think about it.

Tonight I made some homemade broth with stock I had leftover from a pot roast. It was almost like eating a big ol hunk of beef! :D LOL! Now I'm thinking tomorrow I'm going to cook a huge pot of veggie stock to have for the clear liquid diet.

Big hugs!

Hey slinderella! Thanks so much for the kind words. I didn't think of stocks. That's a fabulous idea. I've been using Japanese and Chinese seasonings to spice things up a bit. Anyone who says surgery is the easy way out is full of it. This is literally the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I am ashamed of myself for letting myself become this far gone. I am so grateful for this site. I've been surfing it all day attempting to convince myself that it's worth it.

I started early because I had approx 23 lbs to lose pre-op. I was right on the borderkline of being BMI 49-50 and it was going to cost more (I am cash pay) AND be more possible complications (which is why they charge more) if I was BMI 49 or over. So' date=' I HAD to lose 23 lbs.....I am 18 down now with 10 more days to go, so I think I will do it. Believe me, if I could have waited and just started this week I would have. But, I am glad I did it....now I can go into surgery hopefully 25 lbs less. Just that much less to lose post-op![/quote']

I was a told to loose 25lbs before surgery (9/11/12). I am currently down 12 although its been a very rough week and I need to get back on my game or ill be doing the prepping 3 weeks instead of two. I couldn't stand the Protein drinks when I had my band am so worried about them now.

My prepping is 3 Protein Drinks all the non calorie liquid you can drink ( min 64 oz) and a lean cuisine meal for dinner.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using VST

I started 6 days ago on my liquid diet. Today I am doing better' date=' had a day or two of not feeling really good. Lightheaded, aches, and mild headache. I am having trouble getting in my calories so far but I will work on improving in the next few days. the hunger does subside, very much. I am still looking for a Protein shake that I really like. I think the whey Protein tastes different than soy protein. Not liking any of them right now![/quote']

My surgery is on 8/1 and I had the toughest time sticking to my liquid diet because i dont like anything. My husband loves these types of drinks but i cant even stand looking at a glass after he drinks them. I was so bad I Almost thought about giving up on the surgery when I discovered nestles carnation instant Breakfast, I like the milk chocolate. Tastes like chocolate quik. They have a sugar free that has 13g of protein, not a whole lot...but just drink a few extra. It's been my saving grace. Good luck.