Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Survival On Pre-Op Diet

ok i would love to hear how people survive the pre-op diet, i started my 800 calorie pre-op diet today, so far so good but feel a little hungrier now than i have all day....will the hunger subside in a few days? I'm having surgery in 2 weeks and i plan on NOT cheating, i have waited to long for this surgery to happen and I dont want to jeapordize anything...:)

I can't say because my doc didn't give me a pre op diet! But I am thinking about doing one by myself anyway. All I can say is if you are doing that well keep it up !

I dont have to start for 2 weeks no surgery till 8/20 but I am very worried about the preop I just bought a groupon for hypnotism I going to try that to see if it helps

I'm not as far along in my journey as you but my doc requires to do a 6-week Optifast. I do know that when I do a low-carb diet in 2-3 days the hunger goes away, but I'm eating way more kcal than you.. I guess I don;t have any advice except Keep up the Great Attitude. You will have much success in what you've chosen if you stick to your happy, determined attitude! Good Luck! :D

ps - I sound like a fortune cookie in that last sentence...lol :rolleyes:

Edited by ninjanorasnapaphora

I will have a 2 week high Protein, low carb, low fat diet...don't know if it its liquid or what

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

I am on Day 10 of my pre-op diet. The best advice I can give is find a Protein Drink that you like. I had a hard time with this and wasn't getting enough the first couple of days. I finally got on Premier Protein from Costco....30 grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar and 160 calories. I drink 3 per day and fill my Snacks with sugar free Jello and popicles. I have eaten so much Jello that once I am sleeved and finally on soft foods....well....the only time I want to see Jello is if people are wrestling in it. If you need a liquid diet buddy...PM me.

I too am on a liquid diet. Doctor requested two weeks but I started early so I will be 19 days total I agree with the comment about premier Protein shakes. I bought mine at sams. They are pretty good. I am also using EAS advantage carb control in chocolate and strawberry. And also Atkins shakes in chocolate. By far Premier Protein tastes the best but they are all doable. EAS and Atkins have no where near the 30g of Protein that premier shakes have but it changes up the taste and breaks up the monotony of things.

Best of luck on your diet.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Are Premier shakes only available at Sam's or does Walmart carry them too ?

Are Premier shakes only available at Sam's or does Walmart carry them too ?

I'm not real sure. I see Walmart carries the premier Protein bars but I didn't see the drinks. I will try to do a search and see where all they can be bought once I get back to computer. Sitting in parking lot ( for an hour now) waiting on hubby to decide he's worked long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It helped me to have a bowl of Soup or a Protein Shake every 2-3 hours. That way I didn't get hungry but my total calories for the day was not that high. If you go too long without eating and let yourself get really hungry, your mind will not allow something that light and small to satisfy you, and you end up eating something you shouldn't.

In our program theywant you to go on a diet as soon as possible, and then 2 weeks before surgery you go on a liquid diet to shrink your liver, so that it's easier to get out of the way (for laproscopic surgery anyway). If your liver is too large then they have to make a big incision to do the surgery. I've been told that having it done laproscopically is better for you...post surgery wise.

I have been told to start a high Protein diet right now and have no idea as to when my surgery will be. I am using various Protein Shakes with foods high in protein. I also know that I willbe on a ten day liquid diet prior to day of surgery and that is worrisome to me ;(

I have been on my opti-fast for 2 weeks now and I still have times where I'm hungry but as long as I have the shakes on time everyday I'm good. :) 2 more weeks to go my surgery is august 8th :) oh and btw down 11 lbs in 2 weeks :)

My costco sells the Premier ( and not EAS ) and My Sam's sells the EAS ( and not the Premier ).

I just tried this Protein powder you add to water: Protein 2 Go. It is kinda sweet but it is clear.