Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veteran Sleevers, No Hair Loss

I wanted to ask if there are veteran sleevers out there that didn't have Hair loss. What do you think helped? How many grams of Protein you were eating at the beginning? How many calories? Were you taking zinc?

No hair loss here that I can tell. If anything, it seems darker but less greasy. I have to use hair gel to keep it from being all over the place. :tongue2: Maybe this is because I don't perspire as much as I used to. I couldn't say why I didn't lose hair but I do keep up with my vites and Protein.

In the beginning I shot for 60g of Protein building up to over 70g now (usually more). Calories between 600 and 800 since a few weeks out. At first, I had to focus on fluids and sipping and that made it harder to hit my options without Protein shakes. My Surgeons office asked me to stop drinking them regularly at about a month out. So since then, I've been able to hit my goals with just a little bit of label reading and planning.

I havent noticed any either,I asked the stylist last time I had my hair cut,and she confirmed. I have always tried to get 60 grams of Protein every day. Started taking Biotin before surgery,get lots of fluids.and take all my Vitamins and supplements every day

I am 3.5 months out have not noticed any yet I do get all my Protein in 60-80 grams a day and my Vitamins hoping it stays this way down 53 pounds

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I'm having some Hair loss at 3 months out. I get at least 60 grams of protein/day and take Biotin. Sometimes there isn't anything you can do; hair loss is normal. However, I watch a lot of MassageGoddess' videos on YouTube and after having gastric bypass she had hair loss. Her dermatologist told her to use men's Rogaine. I haven't tried it yet, but I may eventually. :)

I am happy to say that I have not lost any hair and I am almost 6 months post op. I do take Biotin everyday but I honestly think it is because I have been keeping up with the Protein amounts per day that my NUT advised. Best of luck!

I'm only 2 months out and hoping to avoid having a lot of Hair loss. Went through chemo 20+ years ago and was on a drug that guarantees 100% hairloss except..... mine only thinned out. I'm convinced it's because my hair grows really slow. Recently got my hair cut short figuring that if I do lose some it won't be long strands and maybe, since I don't have to run a comb through long hair that maybe if I do lose some it won't be too bad.

I have color-treated hair, I also have lupus and I always suffer hair-loss in the summer from too much swimming, sun, but I always suffer some Hair loss (not a lot) about 3 months after surgery. That's usually when the hair leaves the shaft, and grows out enough to where the daily stresses of Shampoo, blow-drying etc. takes it toll. It's pretty normal for a little bit of hair loss.

Surgery takes a toll on the body and nails, hair etc. usually can be affected.

I'm 7 weeks out and started the Biotin in advance, I try to wash my hair and let it dry naturally and curl it only when I have to. If I start losing it I will go for bi-weekly hair cuts and worse comes to worse, in a few months I'll get a pixie and it will be fine :)

Not to burst any bubbles, but the hair loss usually doesn't start until about 3 months out. A lot of people are under the impression that it starts falling out right away, but that is not the case. That being said, some people don't lose any or very little. From the people I have talked to, the ones that lost it just lost it no matter what they did or tried. From my own experience, I was 3 months post op when my hair started falling out and I lost a lot. I lost until about 9-10 months post op. The only thing I found that helped me at all was Biosil (not to be mistaken with Biotin). Biosil is a silcon supplement which is suppose to help hair and nail growth as well as skin. I didn't start taking it until later but did notice that it helped my new hair coming in.

I am now 20 months post op and all my hair is back in and healthier than ever!

Not to burst any bubbles, but the hair loss usually doesn't start until about 3 months out. A lot of people are under the impression that it starts falling out right away, but that is not the case. That being said, some people don't lose any or very little. From the people I have talked to, the ones that lost it just lost it no matter what they did or tried. From my own experience, I was 3 months post op when my hair started falling out and I lost a lot. I lost until about 9-10 months post op. The only thing I found that helped me at all was Biosil (not to be mistaken with Biotin). Biosil is a silcon supplement which is suppose to help hair and nail growth as well as skin. I didn't start taking it until later but did notice that it helped my new hair coming in.

I am now 20 months post op and all my hair is back in and healthier than ever!

Some people will lose no more than the regular amount of hair (normal growth/regrowth cycles) and some will lose a lot of hair. It depends on how the individual's body handles the "insult" of surgery and the wls. Keeping up the Protein helps with the regrowth cycle, but does not prevent hair loss. For those of you who didn't lose much hair, say a small 'hallelujah' and observe a moment of silence for those of us who have. :P

There's great suggestions in one of the other forums on Hair loss, and some will work and some won't. Again, depends on the individual. Fortunately, research so far supports that nobody goes bald (with the VSG) and the loss is temporary. I decided I don't care, I'd rather be skinny. So I'll either shave my head a la Demi Moore, or wear a wig a la Dolly Parton if it gets too bad. In the meantime, I've gone and gotten a pixie cut (veeerrrry chic for a 49 year old I can tell you) and I'm reveling in the no muss no fuss hair days after years of long (and sometimes very long) hair.

The thing that seems to be helping me is the silicon supplement. As a side effect, my fingernails are looking pretty amazing too. Just in case, I'm eyeing up the long blonde wig in the window at the mall. HWHN* says it looks way more like Rod Stewart than Dolly Parton. But what would he know? He thinks Dolly is a test-tube sheep.

CE

*HWHN = "He Who Hates to be Named" aka my quiet, introverted husband.

KikiCC

I saw Richard Simmons on a talk show a couple of years ago. his curly hair was still there, but in between the hair you saw a lot of big bald spots.

At one time i think he lost a lot of weight too quickly - so that was his hair situation i think. but it never grew back. Maybe theres more to this?

Post Op 7 months - no Hair loss for me :)

kathy

In the meantime, I've gone and gotten a pixie cut (veeerrrry chic for a 49 year old I can tell you) and I'm reveling in the no muss no fuss hair days after years of long (and sometimes very long) hair.< /p>

Yup, hence my super short hair! Got tired of pulling long strands out in the shower!

My experience was none but then again that was because I was taking Biotin pills early as a daily regiment.

How to minimize it, make sure you are taking all your Vitamins & getting all or as much as possible the Protein that is required daily at your particular stage.

Oh yeah, the hair loss your experiencing is not from the procedure or having the vsg. Its the surgery itself the anestisia.

My plan is your supersweetum my hair is already fine and thin I going for a pixie when my face is thinner and you look cute with that cut

I started taking hair supplements four months before surgery still take them. I get in 80 grams of Protein a day and drink tons of Water.

I take my Vitamins and all that stuff.

I still lost hair. I am loosing about half a handful each shower, but I do have a lot anyway.

I am not too worried about it because My hair is curly and can mask thinness very easily. I did chop it short so it didn't look stringy though.