Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5lbs to my personal goal of 150lbs, but my doctor's GW for me is 135 (which would put me in the "normal" bmi range).

I chose 150 as a GW because it was a weight that I thought I would never see again, and that it would take some real hard work and dedication to get there. It has definitely been a tough journey and I am almost there. I am overjoyed!! BUT...in the back of my mind is that darn bmi chart and the word "OVERWEIGHT" still haunting and taunting me. I love being curvy and really can't imagine myself losing another 20lbs...so I have some questions for you all:

How did you choose your GW? Do you believe in the almighty BMI Chart? Should our ultimate goal be to get into the normal bmi range or get to our happy weight?

Nope, bmi chart means nothing to me. It is what I feel comfortable at. My primary doc said the bmi charts are a bit extreme.

you are drop dead gorgeous, before and after. I would kill for your bod, and face. if you like how you look then there is no reason to go 20 pounds lighter if you are healthy!

I originally set my goal to be a bmi under 25. I have lost 118 pounds and currently 13 pounds away from this goal and in my 7 month. Goal has been a funny thing. Honestly, I never thought I would get that close prior to surgery. Once I lost about a 100 pounds I felt like even if I stopped losing the process was already worth it. Now, I am pretty sure I will want to surpass my initial goal. I feel so much better at 207, but I am pretty sure 10 more pounds will not be that noticeable. Consequently, once I hit goal I am choosing to continue following my plan until I hit a weight that reflects more where I want to be. I am just not certain where that is at the moment! One step at a time though, next stop is goal :)

MsKendraHL you are georgeous! No need to lose 20 more pounds. You are so lucky that you kept your boobs!!! I hope that mine stick around too! I am only 5 feet tall and according the BMI charts my "normal" weight is 116...I have no desire to be that small! I too like my curves and 138 is my goal. I chose it because once upon a time for about one year of my life, when I was 18 I bounced between 135 and 145 and I was very content with my bod. I picked 138because on an episode of biggest loser a gentleman had said "I feel sexy strong and great at 168" and I liked it...so I decided that I would feel sexy strong and great at 138!! Right now though...I am looking forward to onederland! 11 pounds to go!

Good luck to everyone on their journey to goal!

Doc wanted me at 200lbs.....I wasn't 200lbs in highschool. I chose the weight I was my senior year in highschool, 215lbs. That was my most active and when I felt the best about myself, body wise. Granted 200lbs isn't much further below.....but I just don't see myself hitting that one.

This is an awesome question. To be a normal weight I believe I need to hit 132. I was happy at 160 so my personal goal is 150. That would put me squarely in the overweight range and I think I would be fine with that.

@Kimmy: that bmi chart is brutal! I heard from a few other people that it can be deceiving.

@Lisa: Thank you soooo much! I never in my life would think that someone would say those words to me. You've been my inspiration girl!

@HappyTeacher: I was thinking about doing this. Getting to goal, staying there for a while, then challenging myself with a new goal. We can do it!

@IDidIt: I chose 150 because thats what I weighed when I was 18 and sexy fine! LOL! And when I was 27 and miserable I dreamt of those days.

@SleeveORama: To be high school skinny again. It's kinda crazy to think about right?

@Niahri: I was morbidly obese for years, so I kinda feel like overweight is an accomplishment!

My surgeon never gave me a goal weight. I set my own at 150, but as I'm losing, I'm starting to rethink it. I think 160 may be ok. I'll just have to wait and see...

...but I'll know it when I see it!!

I am a size 14, and no goal weight yet, but I figure I might be in the 25 lbs left stretch. We will see. I am going to reassess at 180 or so, which I think will be a steady size 12.

I might revisit that once I am up on muscle mass a bit, because I am into swordsmanship again, and I have found Acro Yoga!!!! OMG!!!! SO the lighter I am without being weak the better off I am for the Acro Yoga.

You look fabulous! I think you have to do what is comfortable for you. Honestly, I think the BMI chart is a crock, but that is my opinion. Whatever you decided you were and are beautiful!!!

@SleeveORama: To be high school skinny again. It's kinda crazy to think about right?

Highschool skinny just blows my mind. I never thought I would get this far....best thing that I have ever done for myself.

Ha! The goal weight question...

my surgeon set my goal weight at 11 stone or 154lbs ... I set my own goal weight at 10 stone or 140lbs as this was where I used to sit when I was in my late teens and early twenties and I liked it there!

However, to get to a BMI of 25 or below I would need to be around 135lbs, so that is pretty near my own personal goal.

Now at that weight, 20 years ago I was in a UK 12/14 ... so my goal 'size' was a UK14 - which I am now wearing comfortably! I have even worn a UK 12 & UK 10 top; so my goal size has been reached with an extra 20lbs difference!

I am two years out now and been in a stall for 9mths - the thought of reaching my goal weight seems like a very long way off now... I hope that I will get there one day; there is no expiry date to my sleeve and my restriction is still good, but I can't tell a lie - the frustration of being 'obese' in the eyes of the medical world still haunts me! I am just pounds away from being 'overweight' and to me that is a huge difference mentally and emotionally! I hate being obese. Even though I know that I am fit and healthy now!

I really thing goal weight is very subjective; it is more about how I feel and look as well as the number on a scale - I will be happy to see 154lbs and stay overweight than where I am now. Size wise, I am not sure where this will land me???

Good luck on deciding what is best for you.. 'goal' is ultimately where you are happy, healthy and confident.=]