Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teachers? Where Are The Teachers?

Jr high and Sr high science dept. I am also a former nurse! Try teaching 6 classes of teenagers and you have a food addiction. Disaster!!!!! I have my mind made up and I will go through this. I have not told anyone at school yet, as I am unsure as to when this will take place. Hopefully it will happen before the end of 2012. May do it during Christmas! Merry Christmas to me! Something for me! I really don't care who knows, besides that bunch are all constantly on some kind of diet anyway. Hopefully I will be able to sit down to a healthy meal and stop when I am full My days of kid food must be over! So hope to be able to eat a salad and be satisfied or a Healthy Choice etc...! I am to the point in my life that what others think is a non-issue. The way I see it God made my body perfect, but the devil has used my favorite thing in the world, aside from my family, against me to try to destroy it. This way I am trying to help get my body to where it can be healthy and be a shining testimony for God's glory. God did not make me this way, the devil and I did. So I am going to render food powerless and the old devil can't use it against me anymore! I may not tell everyone at first, but I am certainly not going to lie! I am sure some will be shocked or horrorfied over my choice, but it is my choice! At least I have fortitude to do something that will last a lifetime!

I'm a professor of computer science at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College - nice to see you all! I told my boss and my immediate team members (there are 3 of us), so they wouldn't be so shocked when I come back in the fall. I'm sure some of my students will also be able to see the difference, since I teach a 2-year program. Glad I did it, though. It's a lot easier to exercise and I actually enjoy it!

I teach high school math at a private school in Georgia. When it got close to time for surgery (spring break '12) I told my students as I did not want them to hear it from someone else. Of course, previously I had told my principal, department head, and school president as well as my two best buddies at school. I was up front and honest with my students as to my reasons for this choice and thay were wonderfully supportive. I will be so glad for them all to see me getting healthy!

I'm a professor of computer science at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College - nice to see you all! I told my boss and my immediate team members (there are 3 of us), so they wouldn't be so shocked when I come back in the fall. I'm sure some of my students will also be able to see the difference, since I teach a 2-year program. Glad I did it, though. It's a lot easier to exercise and I actually enjoy it!

I'm also an adjunct at a university here in Dayton. I haven't told anyone from the department. I think they will be quite surprised considering I didn't teach spring quarter so they haven't seen me since March and I teach evenings so I sometimes go a while without seeing many of the faculty or staff. The good thing is, none of them know me all that well so I doubt they will say anything.

Hi! I teach in Georgia. I only told the school counselor (she is in the class next to me) and we're pretty close. I didn't tell my other friends at work because they are older and have expressed negative comments during general discussions. I decided that this is for me. If it comes up I may talk about it but if it doesn't then I won't. My family knows and my best friend.....the main people in my life and they are my support. I was sleeved July 3rd and am down 20 lbs since June 22.

I'm an adjunct professor at a couple of community colleges in New Jersey teaching history and sociology. Pretty much everybody but my boss at one college knows I have had the surgery (the one doesn't know mainly because he wouldn't understand...not a very sympathetic person). I teach during the summer so for me it won't really be a big surprise. I can honestly say, though, that even at close to 50 pounds lost nobody is really noticing anything. :(

I was sleeved July 2nd - down 34 pounds from the last day of school. I teach 4th grade science in a small south Texas school - and I love where I work. They are extended family. My team (5 other fantastic teachers) are 100% supportive of me and have called to check on me since my surgery. I have no problem telling people. I weighed my options for several years before making this commitment, and I plan on being an advocate of people making THEIR choice for weight loss. The haters can hate, but it was never about them........ I am happier than ever! It has been over 6 years since I was in the 270's.....and I am looking forward to the 260's, then the 250's, and so on.....

At 5'9 - my face is showing the most change, so I am happy that I will still get some mileage on my wardrobe (lots of dresses) -

Yay to us - and if you choose not to tell, great for you too -

It was OUR choice!

I teach Pre-K in California. I had my surgery June 14th (about a week after school got out). I didn't really tell anyone that I was having surgery except my partner teacher (who had the DS about a week after school got out too). It will be nice to have someone to share this weight loss journey with when I get back to work. As the first day of school gets closer, I'm actually kind of nervous because as of right now I don't have the energy that I'm going to need to get through the day. Luckily, I still have about 4 weeks to get it together before school starts! Lol! One of the things that I am looking forward to is sharing 1 lunch with my co-teacher all year long and saving a ton of money and time! :P

High school teacher and teacher trainer here, almost 5 months post-op. I didn't tell anyone, just the administration that I was taking off to have surgery but not which kind of surgery. My colleagues definitely noticed the changes within a month or two - I think one or two are afraid that I'm becoming anorexic :-) but yeah, I hope they'll be shocked in a good way when they see me after the summer break. My principal did at some point ask me point-blank what kind of surgery I had had done - band or gastric bypass (see - no one knows about the sleeve!). I would have told her about the sleeve (even though I've only told the people I'm closest to) had she not done so in a booming voice in full earshot of a secretary and who knows who else - she's not very strong in the tact / diplomacy department - so instead just said neither and left it at that. I'm sure that at least some people will suspect that I've had some sort of WLS, but I really don't feel the need to confirm that for them...

I teach 5th grade in AZ. Had my surgery on June 14th and have lost almost 35 lbs.... I mentioned that I was considering surgery back in the fall of 2011, but did not talk about it with anybody outside of my close co-workers.

I have not seen but two of my coworkers since the end of the school year and am SO hoping they notice a difference. I am beyond glad I was able to have the surgery at the beginning of summer break, it gave me time to heal and learn how to work on my new lifestyle. Not to mention it will be nice to go back to work looking and feeling better.

I figured if someone asks what I did I will tell them the truth.... Eat a high Protein, low calorie, nearly no carb diet and exercise. Not a single word of this is a fib. :D

Primary school Visual Arts teacher at an International School in the Middle East here!

3rd grade teacher from Ohio here! I told my 2 co-teachers, a few close friends, and my dean! However, nothing stays a secret long at my school so I'm sure everyone will know soon! I'm down 29lbs in all and can't wait to have more energy this school year!!

I'm a 5th g rade teacher in Houston, Texas, I've told my boss and 2 close colleagues/friends....no one else knows....at the end of the school year I'd already lost 15 pounds...I had surgery on June 11th...

My goal is to return 60 pounds lighter by the time we report back in August....I saw my boss last week (we live close to each other) and she was amazed on how different I look....I've really havent really been going places to be seen, alot of my friends haven't seen me yet, they know I've lost weight but I will start being seen soon....

I am an 8th grade teacher in deep South Texas and had surgery July 13th. I have only told my closest co-worker and she is supportive. I told her because she is usually my lunch buddy so she had to know why I wouldn't be eating Jason's Deli with her anymore for the first few months of school. I have already lost a bit so by the time school starts it should be noticeable. We'll see.