Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most Humiliating Fat Moment

It breaks my heart to read everyone's stories. I have a few similar ones to share.

I was in 6th or 7th grade and wearing an oversized sweatshirt that was white with reddish-brown spots. I had to talk to my math teacher so I went into his classroom while he was with a class of 8th graders. One of the older boys said mooo and that I looked like a cow. Mind you, I was 130lbs at this point. It's amazing that I remember every detail about that experience because it was 25 years ago. I guess some things just stick with you, especially at that age.

Fast forward to two summers ago. I was at a local fair and wanted to ride the scrambler with my then 5 year old son. I've never had problems on rides before (especially not the scrambler-types). It took all of my might to climb up into the seat and squeeze myself in. Once I did so, the safety bar wouldn't lock. The carnival guy came up and said, "No, it's not going to work for you." I felt so bad to have to tell my son that we couldn't ride the ride. And I was embarrassed because everyone on the ride and in line saw what had happened.

Last summer I was at an end of the school year pool party. It was a really hot day and I was chasing my 3 year old twins around and watching my older son swim. A few neighbors and I were talking and one neighbor (and fellow mom) said, "Oh, you went swimming?" And I said, "No." Her response..."That's impressive!" I was dumbfounded that she said that to me. I was totally drenched in sweat (even my hair was wet), but for her to say that that it was impressive? It really left me speechless.

So happy that I now have my sleeve. I'm already noticing that I don't get overheated and so sweaty outside anymore. I'm encouraged that all of us will have positive stories to share as we continue on our sleeve journeys!

I have 2 fat stories: I was on a group church trip. That's right I said church. We were in the hotel playing Taboo and one lady pointed to me for the team to guess the word. The word was "overeating"! I held back the tears. I was in my 30s then.

The latest one was in 2010' date=' at my school I wore a purple shirt and walked passed this one student and her friends. She really hated me. She started singing, "I love you, you love me." I was at my highest weight then 372. I looked at her and said "I know I'm fat but I can change that. Look in the mirror, you can't change that.". She shut up really quickly and never did that again.

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Guess what I found out yesterday??? The lady I spoke of in the Taboo game....she had the surgery in December and has lost about 60+ lbs. it's amazing the very person who made me cry and mocked my weight many many years ago had surgery!

I got tired of asking a started carrying my own. :(

Me too.

In fact, I kept the very first one I ever asked for. After that I lost a bunch of weight myself and happy gave it back one flight.

A marriage and 2 kids later, I again kept the first one I asked for since regaining all the weight. I can't wait to give this one back once and for all!

I have a "shelf" above my butt that is nothing but fat. It makes it difficult to buy clothes. I have to wear shirts that are long enough to cover it and that makes me look even bigger. With that said...when I delivered my 3rd child (about 180 pounds), I went to walk to the restroom and apparently my butt was hanging out of the hospital gown. The nurse said, "oh my goodness! Then she say's "Oh, never mind, that is just fat above your butt". I have had this ridiculous thing for years and it actually hurts me when I lay on the floor to do any kind of exercises. I am looking forward to the day it goes away!

The worst thing that happened to me was when I went to my Doctors office and they said they needed to get my weight. Their scale for some reason is in the same room they use to take people's blood pressure and other things. I had to step on the scale in front of other patients and several staff members. My gyno's office is the same way! I love my Doctors, but this is a bit insensitive to place it in a multi-purpose room where more than one patient is in at a time.

So many people say weight isn't the most important thing. Then why is it that everywhere you go they ask your height and weight?

Sniff sniff....just heartbreaking. I think we all have our fat stories. The first embarassing one was in 3rd grade.

---I was at my grandma's and my aunt insisted that I need a bra. So she went to buy these training bras and none of them fit. Mind you I did not have tits! It was just fat. I remember it like it was yesterday.

---Around 5th grade, my younger brother fights our neighbor for calling me fat. I couldn't even stand up for myself.

---Cerca 2001, Busch Gardens, Roller Coaster, Sweat Shirt tied around my waist I weighted @ 240#. I was kicked off because the bar didn't come down far enough. The girl infront of me said, try tacking your sweat shirt off. She was so sweet but I was so humilated. I was with my ex-bf at the time.

I have to say one of the sweetest things I do remember is 7th grade gym. I think his name was Richard. When it was time for us to do our laps around the gym, he would run with me. He would also cheer me on for pull ups. I was the chunky kids, but he was awesome. It was still embarrassing that I couldn't run a mile.

end sniff sniff

No one can say or do anything to make me feel worse about my weight than I already do. I beat myself up about it every single day.

At least I did something about it.

I do feel an immense amount of guilt, though, for humiliating someone else. My mom was the most incredible woman I'd ever met, but as a kid, I was always embarrassed by her weight and made no secret of it. I'm sure it hurt her so much. I don't believe in god, but clearly Karma has bitten me in my fat a$$. Now she's gone and it's too late to say how sorry I am. She was my inspiration, though - I want to be thin and healthy for my own daughter.

When my son was two I was weeling him in a shopping cart at the store. He reached up and grabbed my under arm and yelled loudly "aw FAT mommy!" People stopped to stare. I was mortified to the point of tears..

Too many to list! Being called a "fat cow" by a classmate during a senior powder puff football game (funny thing is, I only weighed about 160), being stared up and down by a homeless man on the boardwalk at Venice Beach and him asking my boyfriend how he liked to have sex with "that" (i weighed about 175), the countless times children would say "look at that fat lady mommy" in stores and the mothers would say nothing. Stares on buses and planes and while having a meal in a restaurant. People are cruel and just plain rude! I can't wait to lose this weight and not be stared at for the wrong reasons anymore!

My heart breaks with all of these stories.. We all have a common bond.. I have many stories myself of people just being just outright mean.. But within the last several years.. I deal with it on a regular basis.. I am 5'2" 268 pounds.. And I am a flight attendant.. Each and every flight.. I am eyed up by passengers and my fellow coworkers.. In our lounge, I get the once over many times.. On the aircraft, I am treated poorly by passengers, given looks, and many people go overboard when moving their elbows out of the asile when they see me coming.. So very embarassing.. I do many European flights.. And it's even worse.. Obesity is not as big as an issue as it is here in the US.. They comments I hear from people .. Uggh it just makes me want to hide in my home.. I am waiting for the scheduler to call.. Hopefully I will have my sleeve next month.. Thinking of you all.. Oh, btw.. When people ask me for the extension.. I am as discrete as I can be :)

Two of my all time humiliating moments.. When I couldn't fit on a roller coaster.. I just acted like I changed my mind... It was so embarassing.. And second was when I was on a cruise.. We were at a comedy show with stand ups.. I got up to go to the restroom during the show.. And the comedian said as part of his act.... Lady.. You can get food 24 hours a day.. She's headed back to the buffet!!! I was mortified!!!!

^ i can relate to the roller coaster part <|3 here's to healthier, happier days

Reading these stories' date=' am reminded of how nasty humans can be. Obesity is one of those "things" that people feel they can comment on without recourse. Race, sexuality and weight were always topics that were openly targeted. We've (seemingly) reached a higher degree of sensitivity with regard to race. In the last couple of years, gay men and women have begun to (again, seemingly) enjoy basic human rights without the disgust often associated with them. But if you're 'heavy' 'overweight', or god forbid, 'obese'...there is no safe haven. People honestly feel it is their RIGHT to comment at-will on YOUR body!

I will not be a hypocrite and say I have not silently commented on someone bigger than myself (misery loves company), but I would NEVER openly poke fun, criticize or comment to their face! It is astounding how mean and calculated some family can be. Anyone who would demean another at a family gathering (or anywhere) are dirtbags. Plain and simple. UGH! This topic makes my blood boil!

Now, to answer your initial question: As a train commuter, I am ALWAYS aware of my seating options. If there are only spots left in a 2-seater, I will opt to stand...possibly an entire hour, rather than risk offending someone if I dare to go over the line by even a centimeter.

I will use these stories as motivation.[/quote']

You put this so beautifully. I don't understand why it is ok to demean overweight people.

I have had someone in the grocery store congratulate me on my pregnancy, and when I told her I wasn't pregnant she went ahead to point out all the items in my cart that were making me fat.

I am a nurse, and there used to be an extremely obese nurse on the floor, probably close to 400 pounds. One day I was walking in the hallway and some family members pointed at me and said the nurse that took care of their father was even fatter than me. I kept on walking, but couldn't believe someone would say that stuff out loud.

Well, the conception is that you can't DO anything about race and gender, so you have to accept people for what they are. Ditto with physical handicaps, birth defects, mental issues, etc. 35 years ago autistic kids were sent off to group homes, now they have parades for them!

Society is just starting to accept that sexual orientation may just not be someone's choice, so yeah -- we are starting to accept gay people now too.

But fatties? Sure it may be a genetic tendency but calories in < calories out. It's not rocket science. Get off the couch! Stop going to McD!! It's OK to bug us because we're doing it to ourselves.

Gee there's SO many to choose from. Maybe when I overheard the Women's Dept being called clothes for monsters. Or perhaps the cliche' of fat girl falls down the stairs at Christmas party, that's for sure one of my favorites. There's always the one where the folding chair broke when I was sitting in it, I still feel guilty because everyone blamed it on my nephew who is 6'7" and I let them! Can't fit into the restaurant booth is always fun. 3x is getting too tight. Thanksgiving video at the in-laws where I fall and everyone laughs, can't WAIT to see that one again. How about when my drunken husband talked drunken me into doing the jousting thing at a summer party and I couldn't even get onto the platform. I could go on and on...

I swear I know someone made a video of the jousting thing and it's going to end up going viral on YouTube.