Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC September Chat

Isn't it funny how we didn't think we ate that much! I've heard several long-term bansters say how much more they enjoy their food because they savor it really get to taste it. I've noticed that a little already and am so excited at how wonderful that will be.....!

I still eat probably faster than I should but when I had lunch with my friend yesterday, I finished after she did - that was a first for me!

Right now, on mushies, I really don't feel deprived either and I think that's the wonderful thing about the band. I always thought, "If I could just eat a normal amount of food I wouldn't be this fat." Well, I think this is going to work! It may take a little longer this way but I'll probably eat a healthy breakfast and lunch and then just eat a small portion of whatever I fix for dinner. Sounds like heaven doesn't it?

I'm very glad I did this and am so looking forward to the future! I had what I thought to be quite a lot of remorse after I was banded and didn't feel well - feelings of being a failure and why did I have to have someone cut on my body just so I could be a "normal" size. I'm so glad I did this now and I just hope and pray that we all get through this with success and no problems!

Take care and enjoy your day!

Hi Faybie,

I'm 5 days post op and still healing! I was told the same thing about the additional meals . They have scheduled my next appt with a fill even though they said everone is different for when to do the first fill. She told me I would know. I'm hoping I can tell the difference between "mind hunger" and not satisfying the hunger I need to feed. This whole journey scares me. So far I'm down 16 (that's with both pre-op diet and after surgery) I'm too swollen right now to be losing anything. I was praying it would fall off but sigh... no luck. Have a great day!

Hi Terry B, at this point I think the band is ineffective until we get our fills. Mine still helps me not to feel hungry all the time, otherwise I can eat without any restriction. The whole point of the band comes to life when it is filled and restricts how much we can eat, and not feel hungry all the time. Up to now we are just waiting for our stomachs to heal.

Thanks everyone for being so kind, I have done well yesterday and today. I completely agree about the band not having restriction yetbut I really don't want to get back in the "eating for comfort" mindset. I may be emotionally uncomfortable sometimes but eating does not solve the issue. After my "failure" with RNY due to a disrupted staple line I feel doomed to failure sometimes.

The band will work for me and I am ready to start my journey with it. This is very different from my Open RNY... I couldn't eat anything after surgery for about 6 weeks but this is much healthier for me. I am grateful that Dr. Ortiz was able to help me move toward my goal of being as healthy as I can be.

I completely agree about the band not having restriction yet.

I feel very, very restricted.

I was just wondering.....if the people that feel no restriction have the larger band? I have the smaller one and right now I can't imagine a day without restriction, it just doesn't seem possible. I have read stories of people eating chicken, hamburgers, mashed potatoes....... huge meals...... 6 or 7 days out. Even if I wanted to do this, I couldn't, the pain and pressure would be unbearable.

Just curious.....

I was just wondering.....if the people that feel no restriction have the larger band? I have the smaller one and right now I can't imagine a day without restriction, it just doesn't seem possible. I have read stories of people eating chicken, hamburgers, mashed potatoes....... huge meals...... 6 or 7 days out. Even if I wanted to do this, I couldn't, the pain and pressure would be unbearable.

Just curious.....

At 8 days out, I couldn't imagine being able to eat anything like that :lol Now at 14, I can eat anything I want to. I'm trying really hard not to go crazy, but I am hungry and the little bits I'm eating aren't filling me up, and I have NO restriciton whatsoever. I liked it much better when I was having trouble with one egg!

I have my first fill on the 15th and am hoping for a happy medium between having trouble with broth and having trouble keeping my mouth empty :(

Yeah, that's how I am too. Just a few days ago I felt like I had perfect restriction, today however - watch out cause I just might bite your arm if it passes in front of my face! I imagine I'll probably have a few more days that I feel like my restriction is good but as the swelling continues to go down the restriction becomes less and less.

I've also noticed I have better restriction in the morning and am wide open in the evenings. I've read here that many people experience this so I'm just trying to battle the same demons that were in my head before the band. They stayed away for awhile and I'm hoping the fill vanquishes them for a good long time but I understand it may take several fills to keep those evil things at bay!

There's a lady that was banded the same day I was and she still cannot even eat a cup of food and we're 3 weeks out now. My doctor told me that all his patients he banded the day I was got the same sized band and it wasn't the large one. I don't know if there's S, M or L...?

Talk to you all soon!

Andy Liz

I was banded August 10, and have been on normal food for the last two weeks or so (I've stuck with things like fish, that are easy to digest). Last week, we had relatives in town, and we went out to dinner on Thursday and had a barbeque on Saturday. I knew that I ate a little too much on Thursday, and I nibbled a bit on Saturday. Ever since, I have not been hungry AT ALL. No interest in food. I feel like the food that I ate last week is still sitting somewhere in my digestive system. Maybe it's mental, because I don't like the fact that I ate too much. I have also been at a standstill, and I get my first fill on September 21. I have bought some clothes that are two sizes too small, and that's my next goal. I didn't want to buy one size down, and have to replace them a month or so later! There are also no summer clothes in the stores right now, and iit's too hot now to wear anything I bought. So I am rolling up the waist of my pants...

There are def different sizes of bands. I have the bigger one (11 I think) and I know there is like a size 9. I dont understand it all.

Hey everyone Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I think my band is a size 4 and I definitely have restriction My surgery was almost a month ago and still eat 3oz portions at a time of meat and veggies no red meat at all. Well today I went to the gym for the first time since my surgery and boy do i feel good i went on the treadmill for 40min at a speed of 2.5- 2.8 and then on the bike for 10 min and lifted some weights (small weights) But I really feel good cant wait to go again tomorrow after work. Well talk to you all again soon and keep up the good work

Ugh! I don't feel full! At lunch I had about 1/4 cup of ground beef, 1/4 cup of pinto Beans, and 1/4 cup green beans. It took me about thirty minutes to finish all that so I stopped eating. Three hours later I was hungry again, so I atw another round of what I had previously eaten (ground beef, pinto beans, and green beans). Three hours later I came home very hungry and had dinner. I had about 4oz of fresh tuna, and 1/2 cup of green beans, took thirty minutes to eat, but still feel physically hungry. I don't feel any pressure or pain when I eat a certain amount to tell me that I have had enough, but I don't want to over do it either in fear that I will streach my pouch. Any suggestions, comments, etc?

The bridesmaid dress dilemma reminded me of my sister-in-law's wedding about 9 years ago. My 3rd child was born in May and her wedding was in September -- plus, I hadn't lost my "baby weight" from my 2nd child 2 years earlier. They ordered the largest dress available (Victor Costa-size 14). We literally had to have the dress taken apart, find material to match, and have it re-made so that it would fit me. I was mortified.

I look back on it now and wonder why I allowed myself to go through that. Today, I would say "screw it" -- either let me wear a dress that fits or I really don't need to be a bridesmaid. I mean, my gosh, I had 3 kids at the time. Anyway, it's funny now, but was pretty awful then!!

I have an appointment to be filled on Monday -- Yippee. I feel like I have little to no restriction and although I am happy with the 10 lbs I've lost so far, I'm ready to lose some more. The good thing I have noticed is that my weight does not seem to be creeping back up, only fluctuating a pound or so without really losing. I can shock you all if you knew what I have been able to eat with no problem -- a slice of pizza, a small portion of tres leches cake, a PB&J sandwich, Pasta, chips and dip, wheat thin crackers, chocolate chip cookie -- ok, not all at once and not very much, but I don't feel any restriction.

I do try to be "good" most of the time -- I just sometimes get to wondering whether or not I can eat something. I've even been able to take vitamin-sized pills without cutting or crushing.

Sept. 11 -- here I come.

Best to all.

Jessica

Thank you SOOO much for all the bandster writing in with no restriction!! I have said since day one (8/24) that I've had no restriction and I guess not too much swelling either. I 'am two weeks tomorrow, and I can tell you all there's nothing stoping my eating! Not that I'm not trying to be on a good track, but there's virtualy no difference after my banding than before. I'm so envious of Pebbles,who can stick it out with 3oz. at a time and be satisfied. Infact, the trueth is I could add quite a few items to Claityseekers food list!!.....but there's 22days difference between our surgery dates?! I guess thats what has been the hardest for me, I figured I would have some restriction just from the procedure itself. I am very happy that I have lost a few lbs. but if I keep going same-as-it-everwas eating, I know it won't last. I did make a fill apt. but I have to wait untill 10/2. I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. Your all so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read stories of people eating chicken, hamburgers, mashed potatoes....... huge meals...... 6 or 7 days out. Even if I wanted to do this, I couldn't, the pain and pressure would be unbearable.

I feel the same way - and I see we're both just a week out. I know it is a good thing to NOT need a fill. But there is a part of me that just wishes I could get the lack of restriction everyone is talking about so I could maybe have a little bread and more ' difficult ' foods before I get a fill. But that is the food addict in me talking.

It would be great to not need a fill! I guess we should feel lucky Faybie. But I am preparing myself mentally to lose this post-op restriction and face a little gain. I know I know, it isn't about the weight loss yet -- but I'm impatient!

I 'am two weeks tomorrow, and I can tell you all there's nothing stoping my eating! quote]

That'ts what I'm talkin' about. I'm actually a little jealous! :phanvan But I guess that's why I need the ol' band.