Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is everyone’s surgeon’s policy on quitting smoking? I know that I will be required to quit, and I have been trying. This is way harder than I thought it would be, and my husband hasn’t been very supportive because he doesn’t want to quit and will not stop smoking around me. I find it the most difficult when I am in the car. I have two more weeks of my classes for Kaiser left, then I get referred to the surgeon, where they do tests to see if you have quit. I was told that the nicotine doesn’t have to be completely out of your system, but it does have to show that you are quitting (I’m assuming by having lower numbers)

I had to quit smoking at least one month prior to surgery. I used nicotine Patches and suckers.

My surgeon requires you quit for life. Luckily for me I quit in 2004 and have never looked back - I used wellbutrin and the patch.< /p>

My surgeon told me when it comes to complications and healing all bets are off if you are a smoker - it takes you body alot longer to heal. My mom quit cold turkey after smoking for 50 years - her motivation? The Dr telling her if she left the hospital and went home and smoked she would be back in 30 minutes, or possibly dead (super bad lung problems, lung cancer). She tried the wellbutrin route a year before that after finding out about her lung cancer and couldn't do it. She had no problem quitting cold turkey when she found out it could kill her that quick. How about trying cold turkey?

Chantix is a life saver n I'll be at 48 in 6 hours! It's not been too terribly bad once I actually got some stuff to occupy my hands and mouth with. But it wouldn't be near this easy without Chantix bc I'm having very little cravings and when I do they arent bad and don't make my skin crawl like I've experienced before when trying to stop.

I suggest u get chantix from a Dr and start over if that's possible.

My dr won't operate on smokers period. They don't know I did smoke when I scheduled surgery bc I knew I would quit about a month before surgery but anyway, it's worth it to get the surgery AND it will be awesome to be a NON SMOKER AND NOT FAT!!!

We will be really healthy! I hope to do the peach tree road race next 4th of July, and that's just not possible If I smoke again. I'm done for life!

As far as the car goes, yes that's horribly hard but get some peppermint sticks, get an electronic cigarette that is dead or has no stuff in if and hold it and puff on it. Cough drops help too, I like the strawberry breezers I think is what they are called. I'm using all 3 things I just said and it's not too bad!

Best of luck!

Johnathan

My doctor said 3 months. I cut back to from almost 1 pack a day to 10 singles for a week and then 5 singles for 2 weeks and then none. I really want this, so it wasn't hard since I had a reason to quit. I can see having your spouse smoking around you would be tough. My husband had to quit while he spent a week chanting at the temple, and when he got back I told him I would quit if he don't start again. So we both quit pretty easily.

My doctor requires 3 months of smoke free preop and never go back postop. It is something I've been struggling with but the method that seems to be working for me is to cut back slowly and then eventually you will be at zero. I've been doing the cutting back for about two months now. I started off smoking two packs a day and now I am down to 5 cigarettes a day and soon will be down to none!!

2 pack a day is a lot. Great work! One thing that worked kinda nice for me was to smoke the last of my pack before bed, then sleep in like a lot a lot (15hrs) and then since it is hot out since it is already afternoon sleeping so much i found the heat and trouble going to get smokes to be worse than the cravings. Then after I was up and going to keep myself busy I washed the bug sloober off the outdoor lighting fixtures then jumped naked into the pool to cool off. I went to bed early and was only awake like 6 hrs that day. Since I always run late to work I wasn't able to stop off to feed my morning commute craving. Yep. that sunday was the best day that help me quit. Have smoked under a pack in the last 3 weeks and none in the past 7 days. I hope I learn my lesson this time. I quit when I was 20 and at 25 I thought I could be strong enough to handle a few while out being a bar ****. Wrong was I. Having a partial pack in the car made me want to smoke them. It is like heroine (so I hear) No middle ground, when you quit it has to be 100% forever. Oh, I went to Burger King the other day, Pretty sure I was judging how gross the smokers in line smelled as it lingered on their clothes. Glad I am being judged for one less thing now :) Wish everyone continued success!

I never really realized how much it has been harming me until I went to the pulmonary doctor and actually failed the breathing test. They have you breathe into these tubes to see how much lung function you have and my lung function was not what it should be for someone my age. They contributed it too my obesity and my smoking. I vowed from that moment that I am going to be quitting smoking and this time for good. I quit for each one of my pregnancies, why is it so hard this time? I have quit for nine months at a time, and a few days after giving birth would light up like I never quit. This time I have to quit so I can proceed with this surgery, and make a healthier life for myself!

I just wanted to pop in and say y'all can do it! Be strong and before you know it, you won't even think about them anymore. The beginning is the roughest but it does get easier. I quit 6 1/2 years ago and it is so freeing not to have cigarettes controlling my life and making me stink. I admire those of you quitting during this process.

I quit a 2 pack a day (for more years than some of you have been alive) habit cold turkey Dec 21 2010. The first 72 hours were the hardest. I stayed busy and made it thru. Have not touched nicotine since, until now I viewed that as the best decision I had ever made.

I quit a 2 pack a day (for more years than some of you have been alive) habit cold turkey Dec 21 2010. The first 72 hours were the hardest. I stayed busy and made it thru. Have not touched nicotine since' date=' until now I viewed that as the best decision I had ever made.[/quote']

Very well said! I too consider my decision to quit smoking as one of the best decisions I ever made. This surgery is another one of those good decisions.

I quit smoking on Dec. 23, 2011 and was not even thinking of the surgery. Of course I gained 10 lbs since then but I breathe better and my clothes and hair do not "stink" anymore. I quit cold turkey and really have not any problems. Quitting was a good decision just like deciding to go for the sleeve on July 17th. Excited and a little scared but it is going to be a wonderful new beginning . Good luck to u all on the surgery and kicking the habit for good.

Been a smoker for 12 years, and just started Chantix. I'm currently 3 days smoke free :) This is a pretty big deal for me, because I've always been known for having 0 self-control when it relates to smoking. I have my first surgery consult Tuesday, and probably won't even be getting the surgery till December, but my surgeon requires everyone to quit ASAP. I figured might as well. The thing that keeps me going is knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel...possible VSG surgery and a healthier lifestyle. For the record, Chantix has helped way better than any of the nicotine Patches I've tried in the past. I like that Chantix makes the cravings seem much more managable.

Been a smoker for 12 years' date=' and just started Chantix. I'm currently 3 days smoke free :) This is a pretty big deal for me, because I've always been known for having 0 self-control when it relates to smoking. I have my first surgery consult Tuesday, and probably won't even be getting the surgery till December, but my surgeon requires everyone to quit ASAP. I figured might as well. The thing that keeps me going is knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel...possible VSG surgery and a healthier lifestyle. For the record, Chantix has helped way better than any of the nicotine Patches I've tried in the past. I like that Chantix makes the cravings seem much more managable.[/quote']

That is awesome!!! I'll be quit for 6 days in about 14 hours!

I actually went out and got 0% nicotine for my e-cigarette last night bc I was having horrible cravings, I'm thinking now bc I accidentally skipped last nights dose bc after day 3 it got better. I guess I'll see when I wake up in the morning lol

I pray tomorrow is better. But at least these are 0% and not bad for my health! I'll actually probably have to use it on my 9 hour trip to Louisiana in 12 days!

I was the same way as you when it came to smoking! I couldn't quit! I tried 1 time before in 2004 and my skin was crawling within an hour of throwing my cigs out the window I stopped and bought a new pack! Lol it was awful and it I'd just so mental!

Good luck and you WILL do it!