Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'll be a month out of surgery on Tuesday. And I was wondering is it possible to drink a little alcohol? I turned 21 about 6 months ago, and HONESTLY, I'm not a big drinker to begin with, truly. I would just like to sip on a frozen drink throughout the night of the 4th. What do you think?

I am 2 months out, and had alcohol for the first time this weekend. I turned 40, and wanted to be able to have a glass of wine....so I did. No problems fortunately. :)

I'd recommend checking with your NUT or surgeon. Everybody is different so you want to make sure they're okay with it. Alcohol can be tough on the stomach.

Just double check with your surgeon. I would think that as long as you are past the 6 week mark you'll be okay. But be really, really careful. Alcohol is absorbed WAY faster now! It will hit you faster and stronger than it did before! Plus, you won't really be eating much food.

Have fun!

I am 7 weeks post today and just drank my first beer last week. I had a Guinness and tolerated it pretty well. It's not nearly as carbonated as typical beers, so gas/bloating wasn't an issue. I will say that even with it's low alcohol content, I felt it after just one glass. At this point I definitely wouldn't want more than one at a time.

I couldn't drink until I was about 3 months out. We are all different. Wine and liquor still burn too much going down, but I can drink beer with no problem. And I do get drunk much faster, but I sober up within an hour or two.

I had my first glass of wine at 2 months. I had asked both my NUT and surgeon, NUT said none for a year. Surgeon said that 2 months was ok, the reason that the NUTs say a year is that it will slow down weight loss.

I drank for the first time at 5 months. Got plastered on one Bahama Mama hahaha.

I think you will be just fine, just dont over-do it. Have fun!

Its always best to ask Doc but i would just recommend you drink all your daily liquids and Vitamins during the day before you drink...that way all your requirements are met because i usually wake up with horrible hangovers if i dont drink my water...now i even drink a Protein Shake beforw i go out clubbing

I reached 9 weeks yesterday n had 2 glasses of Reisling over the weekend (one glass each day). No problems at all. I sipped really slowly n was careful to make sure I ate before hand. I will admit that I did fell a little buzz much sooner than I would have pre surgery but I was by no means "drunk". I could however tell that two glasses probably would have been my max whereas before I could easily have polished off the whole bottle. Lol

I am six weeks out and my Nut sat not to drink because she has seen too many people, especially early in post op, that have had severe liver complications due to drinking soon after getting sleeved. This is due to an average higher alcohol blood count than usual which is harder for liver to process. I would say just because you think or feel you can tolerate it, you will end up taxing your other organs instead. Let your body heal and adjust before adding in toxins it has to try and filter on top of already trying to heal and repair tissue. It will also dehydrate you. I just came back to home town and was with all my old friends and family at the old hang out bar/grill and I sipped on ice Water all night and I had a great time. It's not worth it, take control of your entire health and body. Take care of all your organs, not just the stomach.

Before surgery, I committed to my surgeon no alcohol for 6 months. I am not a big drinker, but have had a few happy hours I couldn't have a drink. In my mind, it's worth it. But, I am counting down until Oct 24th!

Alcohol is on my surgeon's list of things to avoid because it's empty calories. I think I had a little wine at about 3 months out and I've had a glass of wine here and there since then. Maybe 5 times since surgery? The odd thing is I feel slightly hung over the next day. Every time I've experienced this mild "hung over" feeling. I'm not much of a drinker so it's not a big deal to me to skip it but if someone's going to pour me a good glass of wine I'll probably take it! Six weeks out seems early to me though, but I'm not a Dr!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches