Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

It's hard to stay away from the scale! What days / how often do you weigh yourself? I want to weigh myself and not get frustrated about a couple of lbs fluxuation... :)

I hate to say it but I am married to my scale, I weigh every am. I am ok with that, I dont get too frustrated with a lb or two either direction.

I admit it, I weigh everyday..just once first thing in the morning. I go pee then weigh in my bra and panties. If I'm gaining I know I need to work harder. I do it because I read a health article that said it's wise to weigh everyday so you can stay on track. It works for me and is a part of my daily routine and journal log. The only thing I would suggest is don't become obsessed with the scale like weighing after every meal,,morning, noon and night. I do hate when the scale tips upward but that makes me even more determined to keep it downward.

Every day if not a couple times a day.....I'm so hooked on those darn scales!!!

I weigh every morning when I get up, after I go to the bathroom. I actually use it to get to learn more about my body and learn my body's fluctuations based on Fluid consumption, what I eat, and other factors, like my period or if I slept well or if I'm stressed. I don't stress over the number on the scale since I use it as a learning tool. However, if you stress over it then it's better to stay away from it longer!

Once a day.... am only .... Works for me... Enter weight in my fitness pal.

Yea, count me in as a daily weigher. I do it because there were a number of years that I refused to weigh myself because I didn't want to see the number on the scale. When I finally did I was horrified to find myself at 260 (up from 210 which had been my weight the last time I weighed). I vowed after that to weigh daily so I'm aware of the number because in the area of obesity ignorance is not bliss!

I weigh almost daily....Im really going to try to narrow it down to once a week. I think I'll feel like Im making more progress if I dont weigh daily.

Corinna

I'm another "weigh-every-morning-after-I-go-to-the-bathroom-person" ...I initially planned on doing once a week but I can't stay away from the scale and I agree with what someone else said about it helping me keep on track. :)

Benjammin,,congratulations! It's great that works for you.

It was in the "Reader's Digest". My doctor said daily weigh in is fine as long as I'm losing and it works for me. That doesn't make me a control freak,,no need to name call. I've spent 47 years yo-yoing and I would go long periods of time without weighing myself,,when I finally buckled down and did it,,I had gained ALOT. Staying on top of it daily is a reminder for me and I log it as well as what I eat each day. I think it's up to the individual. I would agree that more than once a day is more than enough.

Every morning in the buff. I even take my necklace off. Oh man, I just got a mental image of that. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

You are right about the exercising. My pants that were snug at the same weight I can take off without unbuttoning them.

Weighing once a day is healthy?

If I were the boss of the author, that person would be fired.

If you are a control freak, go for it - but weekly weigh ins are about the minimum that most folks should focus on. Even my fitness instructors and doctor agree with that sentiment (and my Doctor even mentioned that she was glad that I didn't weigh daily)

For the record, I last weighed myself at my doctor's appointment, almost two weeks ago.

Daily weighers have been shown to be more easily depressed, and you can't accurately track due to things like Water retention, ladies' time of the month, etc. I know the logic behind some folks doing it in the morning, but I still disagree with it.

I'm not in any rush to lose the weight. It's happening, it'll continue to happen as long as I stick with the guidelines, and if something wrong is going on, my doctor's appointment every three months will catch on to it. I won't deny that there may be some curiosity weighing at some point, but for me, the scale doesn't even register my weight right now. I have to go to the Dr. or the gym to do it.

Do you trust yourself to lose the weight, or do you need to use a device that by all accounts really doesn't show the whole picture? Especially if you're exercising more than you used to.

Here's another article I found randomly online from the Los Angeles Times, you don't have to read it but I wanted to share,,I found it interesting

http://journalstar.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/article_74afaec1-aa07-573a-b043-05c983f23f35.html

Excellent article!

I weigh everyday too. I'm probably one of those people that SHOULDN'T because I get ALL kinds of upset if its showing a gain. On the other side though, when its showing a loss, its makes everything seem more worth it and I feel a lot happier and peppier through the day. So who knows? Everyone is different. I keep telling myself I'm only going to do it once a week, but I get through one day without it and have to like its my crack the next day, lol.

I think this was a good article too.

"

The scales couldn’t possibly have registered real loss from one weigh-in to the next — but maybe, Risser muses, something else was going on, such as a reminder of the mission the dieter was on. His own studies of more than 600 clients show that those who were weighed five times weekly lost more weight (24 pounds) than those weighed twice weekly (19 pounds)."

That quote rings true to me too, that its a reminder of the mission we are on!