Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Better Sleeve Or Ru En Y?

the one thing that I must say is that if your surgeon is "PUSHING" something and you aren't comfortable you may want to seek out a surgeon that is willing to listen to you and take what you have to say to heart. Remember this is your body.

the one thing that I must say is that if your surgeon is "PUSHING" something and you aren't comfortable you may want to seek out a surgeon that is willing to listen to you and take what you have to say to heart. Remember this is your body.

I agree. Of course I don't know, but it sounds to me like your sureon is a bit uncomfortable with the sleeve and is thus pushing you toward the surgery he knows best. Definitely do your research and make the decision you think is best.

From what I know of bariatric surgeries - the vsg and the Duodenal Switch are the procedures that remove the stomach. The vsg is technically the first part of the DS sugery, and is now a stand alone surgery.

I to have been kicking around both possibilities for about 3 months now! I think like you, I am leaning towards sleeve. My doctor also threw out that he thinks that RNY would benefit me greater then the sleeve, because of my BMI being right at 50 and statistics show that people with a BMI of 50 or greater tend to lose more weight with RNY. However statistics also show that malabsorbtion and malnutrition are greater with RNY. And it is a difference of 75% weight loss with VSL and 85% with RNY...... which comes out to a 10 lb difference for me. (i am willing to give up 10 lbs. for a surgery i feel is safer) To be quite honest I am scared to death of RNY, in my friends that have had it more than half have had a very very difficult time. It is a very hard decision. I just have to have peace about the whole process and I don't have peace on the RNY route. I think we tend not to listen to our inner gut when it tells us what we need to do. I don't know what your faith is nor do I want to offend you, but prayer is and always has been my lifeline. The lord has never steered me wrong! I have been earnestly seeking his will for my life and this situation is no different. I am just waiting on him to lead me. Good luck! And I do agree, do not let your Dr. make this decision for you because he is more comfortable with one surgery.

Go sleeve. It may/may not be as fast as sleeve, but in my opinion there are less risks in the short and long term.

Gottobethin,

Definitely this is a personal decision. I researched for about a year before going with sleeve. I was number 45 for my doc and for me, I thought I would be in a hospital and if anything happened they would have technology to fix me. With the sleeve you do not have malabsorption and like others have said this can especially down the road be beneficial. I wanted a perm solution, no going back for me only forward to good health.

This and other wls are only as good as you make them. You must change..you must learn new habits. This wls is your tool to make that happen.

Best to you in your journey.

.....However statistics also show that malabsorbtion and malnutrition are greater with RNY. And it is a difference of 75% weight loss with VSL and 85% with RNY...... which comes out to a 10 lb difference for me. (i am willing to give up 10 lbs. for a surgery i feel is safer) .....

This was pretty much the deciding factor for me. That little bit of extra weight loss with the RNY was not worth the potential complications.

My doctor's preference is RNY. That is what he first trained in and was one of the last doctors in his bariatric group to add VSG. I want into my consult 98% I wanted sleeve and about 2% toward band. He never pushed the RNY on me. He wanted me to own my surgery, which he thinks is essential to long term success. I would not be comfortable with a doctor who wouldn't let me own the surgery. Just over 7 weeks out, down 39 pounds and loving it!

I am 2 months out and have lost 51 lbs. I chose the sleeve because of what most people said in here, I did not want my intestines re-routed. However there are people in my local support group that have the Rue N Y and have done great. My advise, like many others, do what you want to do, not your doctor. If you want the sleeve, do it. My experience in the healthcare business, in regards to why they are pushing it, is maybe the payout is bigger. I hate to be that way but I have seen it. Good luck!!!!!!

I know that all surgeons are different. All of them prefer one surgery over another. That's no surprise. But to my surprise, my surgeon wouldn't even recommend a surgery for me. He wanted me to choose. He gave me his opinion on each of them (and I think was a little offended when I told him that the RnY scares the crap out of me) but wouldnt tell me which way to go. I work with another surgeon who does lots of bands and some sleeves. She told me that she WILL NOT do RnY on anyone anymore because of the high risks and the malnutrition that happens with it. I get that malabsorption is the way RnY works, I just dont like it. I have around 190 pounds to lose and I am going with the sleeve. (Was a toss up between band and sleeve) I have done TONS of research. I know some people that have done really well with RnY and I know lots more that have had problems and gained lots of weight back with it. I think that the sleeve is the best way for me to go for my long term health. You have to decide for you. I am scheduled for surgery on July 27 and I absolutely can not wait. One thing I will tell you, if you do decided to go with a sleeve, this is an AMAZING place for support. The people on here care so much about one another and there so many that are willing to help out with questions and concerns. GOOD LUCK with your decision and your weight loss!

I have heard that RNY is has alot of complications and very dangerous in the long term and sleeve is much safer. Alot of people on this forum have lost 130 lbs. or more.

What about diabetics? Is the sleeve just as good? I know a lot of people say RNY is better for diabetics. My sister and I are both having surgery and she has chosen RNY because of this. I do not want to try to undo influence her for a sleeve as she might feel unsupported for her RNY. Should I say something? I think the sleeve would be better for her too.

The only part that could be better about rny for diabetics is with sugar addiction, because of dumping syndrome. However most people on here who've had surgery say they don't crave sweets like they used to thus it cancels out dumping. Plus someone who is diabetic may have need of a lot of medications especially if the rny doesn't cure the symptoms, and she will need larger doses because of the malnutrition.

Plus on rny she is going to be a lot hungrier than us sleevers cause thankfully we dont produce ghrellin.

Bottom line: both surgeries are tools, you can have surgery and not lose anything if you drink soda and milkshakes. Both surgeries also have good track records for diabetes.

My wifes' doctor who worked at the white house under senior bush, he was the presidents physician and specializes in diabetes when she mentioned me having gastric sleeve he said she should think about having it too because if her diabetes.

Thats just a couple things to think about.

Duplicate post stupid android app

I trust my surgeon implicitly, and was originally set on a different surgery, but he told me he thinks the sleeve is the way to go. My surgeon is a general surgeon at a university facility, very studious, and he was definitely right in my case. WLS is only a small part of his practice. In my opinion, I would not want a doc who had only done 30 procedures....just like I wouldn't use an attorney who had only handled 30 cases. There is skill and experience involved!!