Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comment My Doctor Made That I Worry A Little About- Maybe Don't Look At This If Pre-Surgery

He was prob trying to be funny....and very unsuccessfully. But i will say that I read a lot of stuff about pain after surgery and I was terrified, but I had very little pain. I was sore and a bit uncomfortable but not in pain. Everyone is different and some people hurt worse than others but I've never heard anyone say it wasn't worth the pain. So even if you feel like you were in the bar fight from hell...when you recover you'll say "damn that was an awesome night!"

Think about it this way. What he's saying is extremely accurate. Youare basically going to be sliced open (or shallowly stabbed) 5 times in the stomach. I have no problem with what he told you because if you have no idea what to expect, it's about one of the best analogies he could have given you. But I'm a "say it like it is" kind of person, and I would've MUCH rather had his response that one of the froo-froo responses like "Well, you won't feel good." I also think surgeons in particular tend to set you up for the worst. A friend of mine is a surgeon and I can hear her saying this exact answer to the same question.

Now on the accuracy of what he says - I've never been stabbed, but I can only assume it would feel worse than any of my surgeries have. None of them hurt that bad. The sleeve was the worst, I woke up in quite a bit more pain than before, BUT I also learned after the fact that I was on morphine, which doesn't do much of anything for me, instead of an alternative like dilaudid. The morphine, at best, was "taking some of the edge off" but it was not actually functioning as a good pain suppressant. That's why it hurt so much worse, it wasn't because it was actually so much more painful.

I need a little feedback. I had my pre-surgery visit with my doc yesterday and I asked him what I would feel like afterwards. (My surgery is Monday).

He gave the oddest response. He said, Think of it like if you were in a bar fight and were stabbed 5 times in the stomach. I would never say such a thing to a patient. I would never place myself in a situation like that visual.

Is this really true?

Yipes. Has me a little freaked out.

Having been stabbed in the stomach once upon a time (don't ask), I would have to say no.

I think he was referring to the 5 incisions they make for the laporoscopic procedure.

There are varying levels of pain for this...one of my most consistent was a site whee an internal stitch was set high and my belly pulled on it. I will still get a small twinge. Or at least I think I do it has been a couple of weeks.

Considering I've never been in a bar fight, and I've never been stabbed - that wouldn't mean very much to me. It felt more like doing 250 ab crunches meets some really bad menstrual cramping, just a little higher up in the abdomen. In fact, sometimes the menstrual cramps are worse than what I felt after surgery!

I only have pain in one of my incisions.....the big one on the left side. I've never been stabbed but I'd venture to guess that the pain in that incision site feels like I was stabbed multiple times!

Thanks to all of you who responded. I feel a bit more secure about heading into Monday. Maybe he was trying to be funny but he only looked serious so it shook me up. Helps to have this support on the forum here, doesn't it?

I work in the medical field and with plenty of surgeons and it sounds like he was just joking but being truthful at the same time. Unfortunatly they forget that not everyone is in the medical field and should be more sensitive. Good luck with everything...it is soooo worth it!!!

Thanks to all of you who responded. I feel a bit more secure about heading into Monday. Maybe he was trying to be funny but he only looked serious so it shook me up. Helps to have this support on the forum here' date=' doesn't it?[/quote']

The people on this forum are priceless. I don't think I could make it through this journey without them.

Going into it all with a No Pain No Gain attitude after checking out Junior Guru's blog. (thanks for posting)

I'm in a related health field, so a friend social worker said she viewed a laproscopy at another worksite, and said the surgeon made a similar but not exactly the same comment to that patient. After speaking with her, she explained some of the abdominal inflation accounts for the pain as well as incisions. My doctor did tell me I may feel some residual shoulder pain from the abdomenal inflation when I asked him.

Guess I will understand when I get there and know it doesn't last forever.

In case someone happens upon this topic, I wanted people to know that there was some soreness after surgery for me but nothing like this image conjured. Four incisions didn't hurt at all, and the major incision which was through the bellybutton area oozed a bit (looks a bit like a chicken foot grabbed me and held on!), and had a longer healing time from soreness. The major scab there is gone but it still looks like it is healing (though mainly knitted). The surgeon explained he cut through a major muscle there so it would feel the worst. As of now, two months post-op almost (not quite), that pain is gone. I am happy I went through with it, and with the results to date. Totally worth it!

When I read your surgeon's statement I laughed. But I probably wouldn't have if I had heard the same statement before my surgery. I agree with everything everyone said. Sore. Hard to get in and out of bed. Pain meds are a god send. I would add too that if you aren't on a morphine pump where you an medicate yourself, make sure you ask for your meds BEFORE the pain gets really bad. Nurses are busy and sometimes you might wait longer than is comfortable for them to get to you. This was my first major surgery and it took me awhile to figure out that out. It think my first day was more miserable than it had to be because of that. You'll do great!

Whoops didn't see how hold this was. I'm glad you made it through OK.

sometimes its good to expect the worse and then be pleasantly surprised when it isn't as bad as you expected. I much rather have that than a doctor saying it won't hurt a bit.

Don't worry I doubt it feels like getting stabbed. The most accurate way to describe the post op pain is I felt like I did 1,000 sit ups and my stomach was soar.

Not to be negative, but I did have a lot of pain after surgery. I am on day 8 and still have quite a bit of pain. Had I know it was going to be this bad I am not 100% sure I would have had it done. My case is the exception rather than the rule, however, (I had lots of complications) so most people won't have the discomfort I have. Realize, however, that this is a MAJOR surgery and THERE WILL BE SOME PAIN. Hopefully it will be well managed with medication, but there will be some pain and it is better if you are prepared for it mentally.