Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you everyone for your input it is really helpful. Your the best. I hope to be on the losers bench within the next year! I unfortunately will remain on the waiting list here in BC until I can get into a local surgeon.Thank you again!

I got sleeved by Dr. Almanza less than 2 weeks ago and the cost was $4500.....no more expense except tipping if youstay at the recovery house.....my ex is a doctor and he drove me down, mini vacation and checked out the facility etc....we stayed in the hotel which was $55 a night.....i got my broth and all the popsicles i wanted as well as bottled water...got to go shopping for my walks!!! I ended up having to spend an extra $270, but that was because they found an irregularity in my heart when they hooked me to ekg...they wanted to make sure i was going to be ok for the surgery so i had to wear a heart monitor for 12 hours and had to pay the cardiologist for doing that and reading the results.......I have been going to mexico for dental and meds for aover 20 years and finally said this is stupid, they have been doing the gastric sleeve for 7 years down there as opposed to 2 here in the states,,,so who has more experience???? U.S. doctors or the Mexican doctors? figure it out for yourself...

Hi Sunshine Squirt!

I had my lap band done in Mexico in 2010 through Beliteweight' date=' with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. I am again going back for my sleeve surgery. I believe he is a superior doctor, (there are many in Mexico!), and I really felt safe and taken care of when I was there the first time. His prices are a little more than Alvarez, but far less than say Aceves (who has received excellent reviews).

I contemplated using Dr. Alvarez because he is so cheap. I did a lot of research and although I think he is a great surgeon, I read some things that scared me. He does do several surgeries in one day. Most of the Mexican surgeons do, but some of them do far less which is reassuring. He works out of a clinic which makes me a little uneasy, even though I've heard there is a nearby ICU. There were a few hold ups/robberies that were confirmed by Dr. Alvarez's staff. That freaked me out. They also have recovery houses that people can choose to stay in, or a hotel. The recovery houses have more than one bed in each room and relatives/spouses cannot stay with you there. I have heard from a reliable source that there are reasons why doctors like Alvarez can do their surgeries so cheap. They don't use brand name staples and materials. I know for a fact that Dr. Rodriguez uses Johnson & Johnson staples, Allergan bands, etc... That is worth the extra money to me. My facilitator said you can contact companies and ask them if a certain doctor or hospital uses their products.

With Dr. Rodriguez, I'll be staying at the hospital for three full nights which is all included in the price. My husband can also stay in my room with me. I stayed there in 2010, so I know that the rooms are very clean, and have private full baths with shower, toilet, and sink. (And a flat screen tv with English TV!) Dr. Rodriguez and his staff of doctors all speak English which is comforting. I've heard that Alvarez does not speak

English but has a translator. (Not vital, just personal comfort levels I guess).

If you want more info, I'd be happy to connect you with my AWESOME facilitator, Jessica. I've known her since 2010, and she literally gives you her home phone to call her. She answers my emails within the hour. She is amazing. I love BeLiteWeight and I totally trust them. http://www.beliteweight.com/

Good luck to you!!

Erika[/quote']

Hey, not sure where you got the info on Dr. Alvarez but he's not cheap, he costs the same as dr. Aceves at 8750. He runs a hospital, not a clinic and robberies? Never heard of that one. ..? Dr. Alvarez speaks perfect English as well as his staff. You can't even tell of an accent. He also uses brand name staples , made here in the USA. Not sure what ur "reliable source" is but everything you said is not true! He also only does 2 surgeries a day opposed to other doctors who do 8-10. You're really putting misleading information out there that is not true.

Hey' date=' not sure where you got the info on Dr. Alvarez but he's not cheap, he costs the same as dr. Aceves at 8750. He runs a hospital, not a clinic and robberies? Never heard of that one. ..? Dr. Alvarez speaks perfect English as well as his staff. You can't even tell of an accent. He also uses brand name staples , made here in the USA. Not sure what ur "reliable source" is but everything you said is not true! He also only does 2 surgeries a day opposed to other doctors who do 8-10. You're really putting misleading information out there that is not true.[/quote']

Susie, I saw these negative posts about Dr. Alvarez as well. And after speaking with him, his coordinator, and some of his former patients in my state, I decided that because he is EXCELLENT at what he does, his competition has disseminated false information about him hoping to discourage people from coming. In my neck of the woods, we call those jealous HATERZ!! Professional people that are good at what they do will always have those!! The best way to deal with 'jealous HATERZ' is to just continue to be the best and Dr. A is doing that! My humble opinion...

Susie' date=' I saw these negative posts about Dr. Alvarez as well. And after speaking with him, his coordinator, and some of his former patients in my state, I decided that because he is EXCELLENT at what he does, his competition has disseminated false information about him hoping to discourage people from coming. In my neck of the woods, we call those jealous HATERZ!! Professional people that are good at what they do will always have those!! The best way to deal with 'jealous HATERZ' is to just continue to be the best and Dr. A is doing that! My humble opinion...[/quote']

You are right. Trust me I know about "haters" been dealing with them my whole life. Everything there is false information. From the price to the theft and robberies , lol. That's so damn hilarious. And he's cheap? Lol. How is 8750 cheap when everyone else who chooses Mexico pays less? (not saying that's bad, but the truth!) I want the best and that's what I'm getting.

It seems that there a large number of jealous folk out there...when you look at the records...mexico has been doing the sleeve for 7 years as opposed to the U.S. with only 2 years....so who really has more experience? As an ex wife of a doctor, I know that everything does NOT always go right no matter what...but it also doesnt matter where it was done or who actually did it,,,,things just happen..... and as you know therei s no regulation of the internet to check for accuraccy of posts.......so who is to stop jealous doctors in the states to have people put up anything they think people might "buy"? I too did my homework and the ex actually took me down as we only live about 6 hours from Tiajuana. He met everyone and saw the facilities and was pleased with what he saw...I was with Dr. Almanza but it makes no difference who you choose as long as you are confident in them.....I have been going to Mexico since early 90's for meds and dental service....the ex started going closer to 2000.... i decided to take the leap for medical this spring due to being accepted and then having insurances switched and them not honoring the acceptance and then getting discouraged once again...... that was quite a while ago..then i started meeting and talking to people who were going out of the country to get medical procedures done...costa rica, panama, etc. I know that a lot of the dentists in many border towns actually get their education and or training in the U.S....why not doc's too? so...... searched last year and found $500 for the sleeve but didnt pursue it at that time. This spring the sleep apnea finally got me to the point of enough is enough and i did another search... only to find the prices had dropped to $4499. I called and then had the ex talk to them several times as well. He encouraged me to do it. I am so happy i did . When i went in to see his ex partner, who is my doctor now, he was so happy that i had done it. He didnt care that it was in mexico, just that i had had it done!!!!! price isnt everything...keep that in mind... you must feel confident in who you choose whatever the price, that is what matters. if you know or have met many patients that have been successful with a surgeon, then chances are he is a good one....just keep in mind that things do happen that are beyond anyone's control......and hope and pray that you arent the one it happens too.....and you will be fine. good luck all

I'm having mine done with DR Gonzalez through Mexico surgery solutions. It's different in several ways. The patient director is in the USA so u always have someone here when u get back for questions, nutrition support and a virtual gym partner. They only use members of the Baja Med group. Their Drs aren't limited to practice in just one facility like so many others, you can have your surgery at any hospital including the center of excellence. I'm only paying 6300 for everything

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/29062-opinion-of-dr-almanza-and-his-facility-in-tijuana/

Read....This isn't the only place I've heard these things. It's all personal choice and comfortability level. I have no doubt that Dr. Almanza is a competent and capable doctor, (as I did say before). Obviously there are many happy with him! I am not a "hater," and I'm sad that this was said, not exaclty classy. I have friend who is connected closely with the mexican surgeon's community, and has had several surgeries herself there, one with Dr. Almanza in 2010. She told me what she knows... I was just presenting the info I had, and did not try to "knock" him. I am just more comfortable paying more and getting a different setting. And FYI, Dr. Aceves is one of the pricier doctors. My quote for surgery with Dr. Almanza--for a Lap Band removal and sleeve revision was more than half what Dr. Aceves' quote for the same procedure. Dr. Rod is in the middle of the two. I'm glad you are happy with your decisions! We are all entitled to our own respectful opinions! Good luck to everyone, and let's keep it positive on here. :)

OMG! Sweet Susie...I got myself mixed up! I meant Dr. Almanza all along. I have a feeling I wrote that late at night?! :{ How embarrassing. I meant Dr. Almanza, not Alvarez...please accept my sincere apologies for the mix up!

Oh of course, I was really confused. I understand , I'm just the type that doesn't like to be mean about others surgeons. I think all of us are going thru something major.

I wasn't trying to be mean about other's surgeons. I was just saying what I had heard and thought it was pertinent to the discussion. I said that he seems to be a good surgeon, but here are the reasons why I, personally did not choose him. (Him being Dr. Almanza, my mistake). Personal comfort, we all make decisions every day that are different based on who we are. I didn't think it was unfair to present the criteria of why I chose one surgeon over another. I wasn't trying to run a slander campaign. Good luck to you in your journey!

I didn't go with Almanza for several reasons. He practices in a small office in a strip mall. His recovery house, which is overcrowded, had a robbery. I don't care of the thief was working for him and got fired or not. If it was an inside job it shows what type of person he hires to care for his wards. The staff at the recovery house are always cooking and hardly speak English. And God forbid someone say a negative word about him or Dr Kelly on this site or you get jumped all over. I don't care what caused the death of one of Dr Kelly's patient. I want a Dr with a 0% mortality rate who can practice in more than one hospital of he so chooses. Ur not gonna get that in either of those Drs. And it really pisses me off that some of the negative comments are removed from this site. A person should hear the good, the bad and the ugly in other to make an informed decision. Now let's see how many people I just angered by stating the facts

I wasn't trying to be mean about other's surgeons. I was just saying what I had heard and thought it was pertinent to the discussion. I said that he seems to be a good surgeon' date=' but here are the reasons why I, personally did not choose him. (Him being Dr. Almanza, my mistake). Personal comfort, we all make decisions every day that are different based on who we are. I didn't think it was unfair to present the criteria of why I chose one surgeon over another. I wasn't trying to run a slander campaign. Good luck to you in your journey![/quote']

I'm sorry and I understand. We all choose certain doctors for our own personal reasons. I personally did not know of the things u mentioned about these doctors.

good, being condused in more ways than one...and for strangely normal,...how many times were you at the recovery house to know these facts? or are you going on what others have said too? It isnt ALWAYS crowded (it depends on how many surgeries there are AND how many decide to stay at the house) but u dont have a lot of privacy.....they are providing a service for free for those who cant afford to stay in the hotel at their own expense. And beanie and rosies mom.....you sont know tha the person you met and told you these things sisnt have it in for Dr A either.....so folks...unless you have been there and see for yourself...you shouldnt be saying ANYTHING. Strip malls have plenty of surgicenters in them here in the states.....as well. And, I will repeat myself since my ex is a doctor, he met all the staff and checked everything out and was pleased with the set up. This I do know.