Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks Post Op And Having A Hard Time W/ Soft Foods

Anyone else out there experience this? I did great with liquids, then creamed Soups and yogurts, but this is day 2 of being on soft/ground foods and I feel nauseas when I eat. I have tried chicken salad, turkey meatballs with sauce, scrambled eggs. I don't know if it's the foods or what? I need to eat because if not I need to drink Protein Shakes, and I'm getting very tired of them!

Any help, or advice would be great!

Sounds like you're progressing too fast! At 2 weeks out I was on full liquids. Try slowing down & backing yourself up to liquids. My progression was slow--and I didn't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks Terri,

I am following the instructions of my NUT. My first week I was liquids, then 2nd week creamed Soups. Yesterday was my 2 week mark so I guess I am actually into my 3rd week. So I don't think I am progressing to fast. I am by no means eating solid food. Everything needs to be ground and very moist.

This happened to me too. I started with chicken and potato blended with broth. Uncomfortable till the next day. I have tried things like cream of wheat, refried Beans, chili and It was much better. I also started with 1/4 cup and finished it......that was too much. Go slow and know some people are slower to progress than others, me included.

I too was not allowed ground meat until the 5th week my nut. did not recommend scrambled egg until 3mo. she said many of her patients have trouble with them I could have hard boiled eggs mashed. I ate alot of Beans, lentil and split pea Soup. I lived on fat free refried beans with a little cheese n sour cream for a while also Peanut Butter and banana. When I started soft foods she said it was best to add one new food daily if it didn't settle on my stomach wait and try that food in another week seems like they all have different ideas wonder why they can't have a universal diet!! Good luck.

I know! It seems like everyone has a different diet! I did try retried Beans with a little salsa, cheese and sour cream. I just couldn't stomach it. I don't know if the feeling I get when I eat I'd normal. It just feels funny and it makes me queasy. It is similar to that feeling I would get in my pre-op days when you would get so hungry you would feel nauseas. So I don't know?

My NUT wants me to strictly stick to Protein as my meal. Refrained beans were not on the list, but I did it anyways. As far as scrambled eggs, I can only do egg whites. And I really wish I liked tuna, because that would be easy!

If everything you eat is making you feel the same way, try looking at how rather than what. Eating too fast, or swallowing too much food into the stomach can cause a nauseous feeling. It can actually cause all kinds of feelings all over your torso - referred pains and the like. Try only tiny bites (if you aren't already) and basically chew it until there's nothing left to swallow. Any truly mushy food, if chewed enough, should just sort of make its way down your throat without you really needing to overtly swallow. I'd say do a bite no bigger than a toddler spoon/fork at a time. Then wait about 3 - 5 minutes before you try another bite (as long as you're feeling OK- if you aren't feeling OK then you should not try any more bites until it resolves), and do it the same way.

Also, if things aren't sitting well in your stomach try using some papaya enzyme. That's something my DR recommends when you get the queasy "at too much" feeling. You can buy the chewable version.

Do you like cottage cheese? That is my go to food. I started out with a quarter cup and chewed it, even though it was small curd. I use salt and pepper and a small amount of chopped ripe avocado. Cottage cheese has lots of Protein too, even with 1% milkfat. Chobani Greek Yogurt with fruit was allowed on my soft diet too lots of protein too Get nonfat at the start a quarter cup went down fine I was on soft foods after two weeks too, I just took it slow. Some people have a hard time with ground meats in sauce and chicken, even in chicken salad. Do you like other types of fish, like Tilapia? There are great recipes out there for Tilapia on myrecipes.com. Just know you'll probably only be able to eat a quarter cup to a third cup at a time to start. All fish and shellfish, including shrimp, cooked is considered soft food at least in my NUT's plan.

I am about a week ahead of you and am having similar struggles. Yogurt and poached eggs work, tuna is iffy. I tried ground beef and it was a BAD idea even though the Dr. included it in my diet. It feels like I'll be living on this for a while. You are not alone!