Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Wrong? Food Stuck? Stricture? Help!

Hi there,

I'm in week 5 and I'm not feeling great. I started my soft solids this past week and I've been sick since Sunday. Sunday I was stupid and I had one chicken finger. I chewed and chewed and chewed, but OH I was so sick. I thought I was going to vomit and I was sweaty all over. But it passed and I was okay about 30 minutes later. The next day I made myself some tofu and the same thing happened, just not as severe. And now it feels like something is stuck! I feel it all the time whether I'm eating or not. I don't want to eat anything at all because it feels so terrible now. I have gone back to Soup and yogurt. How do I get this unstuck??

Please help!

Sorry, I'm not sure about the stuck feeling - but the chicken finger - was likely the higher fat content that made you feel lousy. I still feel pretty crappy when I eat anything breaded/fried, and I'm almost 10 months out.

I am SO happy to see this post and look forward to learning from the responses. My date was 4/24 and anything solid I eat feels as if it's stuck for hours. I have ZERO energy. Lightheaded. I tend to just resort to soft refried Beans and ensure but really....how long can I live off that?!

Right, and my concern is that I ate that chicken finger 4 days ago. I shouldn't still be feeling like this should I? Today all I've had is Soup and yogurt and I still feel like something is stuck in my stomach and it makes me nauseated. :(

Hi Cynthia! Sorry you are feeling so bad. It could be acid reflux or severe heartburn maybe? I felt that way and changed from the prescription I was given to Zantac 150 and have felt much better. Otherwise, you should call your surgeon's office and request an appointment, ASAP! Keep us posted! Hope you're better soon!

I agree with Lady Lisa, it may be too much acid? I had a few occasions of the stuck feeling, but usually only right after eating (usually too fast) and it would go away within a few hours. I've heard some people drinking pineapple or papaya juice because the enzymes can break down other food (they are known meat tenderizers). You could also try something warm like a nice Decaf green or herbal tea?

If it doesn't go away, I'd call your doctor to be safe. Just so you know, the beginning of solids is tough. It's great you know to chew well, but it may be a few weeks before solids are your friend. I kept things like yogurt, cottage cheese, and Soups on the menu for a while as I built up to the chicken, pork, turkey, seafood, etc.

Good luck!

If you think something is truly stuck- see a Dr. immediately. If you arent in immediate danger, call your surgeon first thing in the AM and get some reassurance.

Are you on any espohegeal spasm medicine? I was perscribed something to take the first month if I was having esophogeal issues (to take on an as-needed basis). It starts with an M, but cant remember.... anyways, this was susposed to help the throat relax so you dont feel that way.

Most likely it is your throat adjusting to solids again.

I went back to Soups and yogurt and I feel better. Thank GOD! And thank all of you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I guess moving onto solids is going to take me a while.

I guess my body starts feeling better and my wounds start healing, but I have to remember that I just had this big surgery only 5 weeks ago and my stomach is stapled shut. I have to remember that it's going to take time and patience :)

HI Cynthia

I'm really glad to see you've gone back to runny foods 'cause as soon as I read your post I thought "she's not ready for the next stage yet." Take it easy but when in doubt call the doc!