Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed And Discouraged..............

Hello All,

Life is funny, the other day I was very hesitant about having this surgery although I did my research but being on this site and reading about the journeys of others made me really consider doing it. Finally I made up my mind and was starting the process of finding a doctor only to find out today my insurance won't cover the surgery, looks like my dream got cut a little short. Now I have no idea what I am suppose to do.......Help any suggestions?

What a bummer? I've seen others report of going to Mexico or taking out a loan to finance the surgery. Good luck to you. I hope you find a way to make it happen.

Depending on your finance situation you should consider self-paying. Lots of people on this forum go to Mexico to get it done most of the surgeons I read about are popular. Some also get the procedure financed and pay it off monthly. Some choose to self pay because they just don't want to bother with the insurance hoops, making people wait 9 months, 2 years for the procedure, etc. I hope you don't give up because this surgery is a life changeing experience and worth every dime you will pay, if that is the way forward for you. Good luck to you.

I went to Mexico for my surgery on March 2, of this year. I had a wonderful experience and wouldn't have changed a thing about it. I'm down 57 lbs now! Anyway, Mexico was my only option because my insurance wouldn't cover it....even though my BMI was considered morbidly obese. Good luck, and do a little research....you never know :-)

MY insurance doesn't cover it either so I'm self pay. I got a loan from my bank and am going to make monthly payments. Anything is worth getting healthier!

thanks all i am not giving up just been thrown a minor curve I will figure it out thanks for being so helpful and supportive

Hi =) I actually just went through the same thing.. After talking to my family and initially deciding on the lap band I went to a seminar in Dallas at a well known bariatric doc there. The seminar was so informative and I decided for lots of reasons to do the sleeve instead of the band. I left there so excited and feeling like WOW! Why haven't I done this sooner?!? Anyway, I left there all ready and willing to get the surgery behind me and then they called a week later and said that there was an exclusion on my policy that prevented them paying for the surgery at all. =( Soooo cash pay it is! After the seminar, crazy amounts of sleeve surgery research and soul searching, I knew that nothing could stop me!! The cash pay in the US is $12500 or more and they don't work with you at all.. I couldn't quailify for a unsecured loan for that much and it would take me a year or more to save it so..... Mexico was my next option! I would NEVER have thought I would would EVER go to Mexico for a surgery! Preconceived notions of organ harvesting and infection LOL! But after getting in contact with a company called Belightweight, they financed me even with my imperfections on my credit so I started researching docs... I have chosen Dr Rodriguez in Juarez =) his reviews are amazing, the hospital is StarMedica and I am super stoked! This is not an easy decision and definitely not to be taken lightly but I think that when your body tells you it's time, it is time!! My date is set for June 29 and I honestly could not be happier =)) I am starting to blog my journey today and ran across your post... I am excited to follow your journey!! I think we have similar journeys with this weight loss and hope we can keep in contact!! =) Let's do this!

I also went to Mexico and had no difficulties. It was 4,500

I went to Mexico for my surgery on March 2' date=' of this year. I had a wonderful experience and wouldn't have changed a thing about it. I'm down 57 lbs now! Anyway, Mexico was my only option because my insurance wouldn't cover it....even though my BMI was considered morbidly obese. Good luck, and do a little research....you never know :-)[/quote']

Shannon H. What was your starting BMI, if you dont mind my asking? Also, was it easy to lose the weight? 57 lbs in 2 months is awesome. You are working that sleeve. Your post inspires me.

My BMI was 41.1 to begin with. It's been a challenge to lose the weight, but the sleeve is an amazing tool of you treat it right.

I eat right, and exercise 4-5 days a week, and log all of my food into myfitnesspal...it really helps. Good luck with it all.

Shannon H. What was your starting BMI, if you dont mind my asking? Also, was it easy to lose the weight? 57 lbs in 2 months is awesome. You are working that sleeve. Your post inspires me.

My insurance doesnt cover either so self payor here..... some cash, some financing but you can get it all financed. I look at it as an investment in my future. if I had to resort to withdrawing from my 401k I would. it has taken me over 3 yrs to make this decision and during part of that time I had insurance that WOULD have paid. I just kept trying to lose weight on my own to only be 30 lbs heavier than before. if you can't finance it think of ways to SAVE SAVE SAVE for it.

thanks everyone still looking into all my options and i have also looked into Mexico as well. I will keep you posted.