Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United Healthcare - Still Waiting On Approval ...

Just wanted to let you all know that not all UHC plans require you to use a COE - Call member services and see what your specfic plan requirements are.

Do not just take your surgeon's word on what your benefits are... make sure you double check them so you are aware of them yourself. Not directing this to just you, but anyone who may read this. Sometimes a drs. office will skip something since another employer's plan does not require it, they assume all plans don't. I have worked in both member and provider services, and I can't even count the # of times that a member calls up and says.... "but my drs office said I didn't need to..." Yet, it is the member who is stuck with the bill.

Don't be afraid to call multiple times if you need clarification...that's what they are there for.

I work for UHC and MOST (most....) plans will consider surgery for 35+ bmi with comorbidities. That is, most plans that don't have bariatrics as an exclusion.

I was approved!!!!!!! My date is June 18th!!!!

I'm soooooo relieved - can sleep again . . .

Awesome!!!

Congratulations!!!! I am very, very happy for you.

i also have united healthcare , im waiting for my surgeon to submit my paper work i really hope & pray i get approved my bmi is 37.9 (sleep apnea mild , borderline diabetic; pcos ) praying this works out for me i know my co morbidities are not severe

Crossing my fingers for you!!

This question is for anyone with UHC (whatever plan)...how long did your whole process take from start to finish? Did your UHC plan require 6 month weigh ins? Ty :)

It took from first appointment April 26th to may 30th. 34 days

UHC does not require 6 months monitored weightless anymore, however they require 2 years of weight loss records from PCP.

It took from first appointment April 26th to may 30th. 34 days

UHC does not require 6 months monitored weightless anymore' date=' however they require 2 years of weight loss records from PCP.

[/quote']

That's great! Good for you.

My first appointment with the doctor was on April 7. I fought like a LUNATIC to get all my requirements done in as short a period as possible - it was a very BUSY month of appointments!! My primary care doc was a HUGE help in the process! She was extremely supportive and got lots of documentation to my surgeon very promptly. Getting all of the requirements is definitely the slow part - it feels like everyone & everything is trying to slow you down. I was finished with my requirements on May 15th (so about 5 weeks of that stage). Once I was submitted to the insurance it took 10 days to get approval. My surgery was scheduled for about 2 weeks after approval.

FYI - My plan required a five year weight history with documented attempts at weight loss - THAT is the kind of info that my WONDERFUL primary care doc provided - LOVE HER!!!!

Bottom line: I began the journey on April 7th. My surgery is June 14th. I get the impression that it takes most people much longer than me. I think I've just been blessed with a great PCP who really helped move things along quickly.

Bottom line: I began the journey on April 7th. My surgery is June 14th. I get the impression that it takes most people much longer than me. I think I've just been blessed with a great PCP who really helped move things along quickly.

Oh yes...I've seen it take people 6+ months, so yours was fast! I'm hoping I can get everything done in two months, but my surgeon seems to require more than UHC does. Did you have to do a sleep study or a stress test

I did a sleep study, EKG, psych evaluation, nutritionist, bloodwork, upper GI, 5 years weight history with diets attempts (from primary care), surgeon consult, complete physical, pap smear & mammogram.