Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Eat Right While Traveling...

I got my sleeve on April 4. So far down 35 pounds from my heaviest of 263...yay!!!! Went back to work on May 7th. My work requires me to travel EVERY week. So I live in a hotel Mon-Fri. I am SO afraid to fall back into the bad eating cycle because I am eating out every meal. I am eating smaller portions but I feel bloated and slow 2 weeks into this routine. HELP any suggestions on how to handle this?

Thanks all :)

Annie, While I don't travel outside my general area, I spend a lot of time on the road. I do several things to make life easier. I carry Protein bars with me always, usually the Premier Protein Bars that I purchase at Sam's Club. They have 30g of Protein, so a nice protein boost first thing in the morning. I know that you probably can't carry liquid Protein shakes, but you could take Protein powder with you and a shaker bottle to prepare them, even on a plane. IF you have a fridge, you could purchase lunch meat and cheese to keep in the hotel fridge. I routinely buy 1/4 pound of various deli meats and cheeses. You don't need tons for just M-F. If the Water where you're staying is questionable, you could purchase a 24 pack of Water and put them in the fridge to get cold so you have them for the next day. The bottles are also a great way to make your water portable. There are lunch kits with tuna or chicken in them that would work to keep on hand for lunch or dinner.

A rotisserie chicken also goes a long way for protein requirements and is small enough to fit into a hotel fridge. I've been in love with rotisserie chicken for awhile now.

If you eat out a lot while you're on the road, just make sure you're ordering protein and veggies rather than a carb-laden meal. Most places have some kind of grilled chicken or steak option, which is good, and many have decent vegetable option like broccoli or green Beans. I've also eaten a lot of BBQ ribs over the last 8 months. I always ask for my ribs with no sauce or sauce on the side. I can eat 2-3 ribs and a few bites of steamed broccoli.

I'm not sure if any of that ramble helped, but, good luck! :)

Lissa, this is music to my ears!!! I also travel for work through the week and find it hard to make good choices pre-op so I'm fairly certain those choices will be even worse post op! I've always gotten a room with a fridge but I've only used it for leftovers from the huge meal I just ate up till now! Love the Protein Bar idea, especially on those long 20 hour flights I've been known to do! Thanks for the tips!!!

Boots, Protein bars save me from the vagaries of fast food place a lot of times! They're great also because I can eat half a bar now and save the rest for later if I'm not super hungry, but need to eat something.

Good luck! I'm hoping some of the other sleevers who travel a lot will chime in with their tips as well! :)

Thanks for the Protein bar idea. I'm just starting crunchy things this weekend, so I'll get some bars to carry with me.

Went to trader joes and got me some protien bars. Makes a good mid day snack. lunch and dinner I am still eating out but trying to make better choices. This is tough. Thanks for the ideas.

Annie

I always have a Water bottle, a plastic lidded cup and my Syntrax nectar. Just get a few ice cubes, pour some Water into my lidded cup and I am good to go!

I always take my ice chest with Water, Protein Bars, Banana's and almonds. I will ususally eat one good meal with chicken and vegetables. I make sure to drink 80 to 100oz of water daily and I eat my healthy Snacks throughout the day. This will keep your metabolism going and keep you from getting hungry.