Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have no intention of sharing my surgery plans with anyone other than my immediate family. I am fiercely private. I know I'm going to get questions at work. Some may even ask directly whether I had surgery. Anyone been in this situation? How did you field the questions?

I am keeping my procedure pretty hush hush as well....I've only told 4 people at work, my boss, and three close co-worker/friends, all sworn to not tell...I would avoid bring up the topic, and if someone ask what you are doing, tell them you are cutting your carbs and eatting right....smaller meals 5 to 6 times a day....all the truth, just not mentioning the surgery part...

I agree with you having surgery is no ones business but yours

I felt the same way! I'm very private and was considering not even telling my parents. I really thought it was something that only my husband and I needed to know. However, after thinking about it I decided to tell my mom and dad...they were surprisingly supportive.

Then, after the surgery, I really didn't care who knew anymore. It was almost like I wanted to avoid the initial judgement..and then once I had the surgery it didn't matter anymore.

You may not feel the same way, but keep that in mind :)

I know that there are a few threads that deal with this, so you might try doing a search. I am scheduled for July 9 and also plan to tell very few people. I anticipate challenges in two areas. One is at work. We are a very small office and eat lunch together (in our conference room) most days. The other is with a group of people from church. We have brunch after church every week. It is a great time, but I truly don't want to have to field questions. I am pretty good at putting up a wall that lets folks know to back off, so I am sure the shield will be coming out.

I didnt tell anyone but my husband, daughter, and my best friend. I have people everyday ask me how I have lost so much work to which I am honest in saying.... a lot of exercise, diet, and hard work. They do not need to know anything else. As for people asking me if I had surgery I simply reply no. There is a reason why we have hippa regulations now..../because it isnt anyones business. I am really glad that I have kept it to myself because after people ask me that they usually follow it up with comments such as.....oh Im so glad you did it the natural way, those people that get the surgerys are cheating....and other negative comments. as for the time off I told them that I had my gall bladder removed, also explained my diet change. good luck!

I told 3 important people.... I will eventually tell two more important people.... one of those which is an overly dramatically emotional person, but I care very much if something goes wrong and I neglected to tell these two people, the pain they would feel. As for after I have not decided my story, I am trying to lose a few pounds between now and Aug so it doesn't look like such a sudden thing. Good luck with everything!

i wish u could be the same way but i work in the hospital in the admitting dept soo everyone basically knows or will know lol.other than that just my immediate family

Initially I only told close friends and a few relatives - I swore no one to secrecy. Afterwards, I had a leak and pretty much everyone found out what with being in the hospital an additional month, off work for 4 additional months and having a feeding tube and drain for 4 months. I had a few friends tell me they had surgery and I had never known. I had a few friends who have asked lots of questions and are or have considered it for themselves. I know my friends who had surgery before me were invaluable to me and helped me with a lot of questions.

I only told a few family members and no friends. I'm sure my coworker/lunch buddy suspects something, as when it comes to lunch time, her response is we can go eat anywhere you can eat. Lol, at this point I really don't care, as long as they ask out of concern and not gossip. Pre op I really didn't want to say anything but now I don't give a damn, but on that note I still don't go around advertising it.

I have told my parents, husband and son and one friend. Since I have been in the program since November I have lost 60 pounds on my own. I have serious scar tissue issues that need to be cleaned out and I have a hernia. That is what my parents are telling my siblings. I have told my doctors though I feel very uncomfortable even discussing with them. I felt uncomfortable telling the guy at GNC today about it, though I just blabbed it out when I was discussing the Isopure with him. Everyone knows I have been on a diet and I have lost a lot of weight and inches on my ownt. People I do not see often have been told that I have been losing a lot of weight by my parents, so it's not a shock when I do see them.

I have been up and down in my life and so people have seen me lose weight dramatically in the past. I am not sure why I feel uncomfortable telling people. It's the reason I don't have a picture up too.

I told no family members or friends. I told my personal physician and the surgeon who removed my gallbladder. I was on Atkins before surgery and I ate nearly the same way afterwards. When people asked me how I did it, I said I was on a high-protein diet. I suspect everyone is waiting for me to start gaining again as they watched me go up and down the scale over the years. They'll be waiting a long time!

I had hiatal hernia repair at the same time as my VSG. The recovery food restrictions if I had just hernia repair is about the same, so that's what I told people whom i didn't want to know about the VSG. I'm 5 weeks out and so far my story works - and it wasn't a lie.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I won't care later. I've lost and gained hundreds of pounds before. I had to lower my caloric intake which is not that different from what I will have to do now.

I told very few people, so when people ask me about what I'm doing to lose weight, I just say that I cut carbs to a minimum (true - as it happens to be, I've cut all food to a minimum!) and am exercising (also true). I think some people will suspect because the weight loss is just a bit too rapid by anyone's standards - and certainly mine - but my policy of keeping it quiet hasn't changed so far. It's really no one's business but mine.