Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Picturing Myself In A Thinner Body-Can Anyone Relate?

Well..I'm sure a lot of people on here can relate. I've been overweight for most of my life (I'm 23) and I started getting chubby in like 2nd grade..so I've missed out on having a "normal" childhood and being a "pretty girl"..I mean I don't think I'm ugly, but I've always been the fat friend out of the group. When my friends and I go to the mall, I head for the make-up and beauty products and they head for clothes! They walk in American Eagle, I go in Lane Bryant..I'm tired of being the fat friend!! BUT....I cannot picture myself being smaller..I just feel like I'm going to be the failure! Like I'm destined to be forever fat! Does anyone else have this issue?? Please respond!

What you are feeling is totally normal. But trust me when I say seeing is believing. It will happen, the day will come when you will just be another girl, and not the fat girl. Your going be in denial for a while, because the weight can't come off fast enough.

I dont think anything is final. If you dont love yourself fat you wont love yourself thin. See for me im not ashamed to tell the world that no matter how pretty i am im 320 lbs and ready to change my appearance and my attitude will follow . i can achieve if i believe. So first and foremost i love me some me . i havent always been called big sexy .But my health is at stake so the weight has to go. So we dont have to be the fat friend anymore

You will not fail because we won't let you. I use to think the sleeve was not going to work for me but I'm losing weight inspite of what I do. Remember this is just a tool and the rest is up to you. I believe in you and you will not fail. Congrats on your journey.

I totally feel this way. I can not even imagine what I will look like smaller. I have been big since I was 6 and I'm 30 now. I've lost 50 lbs so far and barely see a difference. I weigh less now than I have in about 5 years. I wonder sometimes if I will also fail. I don't have a problem eating anything. I still eat small amounts of food. But I don't always eat what's best for me. Which is so dumb I know. I need to refocus. Hopefully in a year I'll have lost 50 more lbs and really be able to see a difference.

You aren't alone in how you feel. I'm sure a lot of people have feelings of doubt and a distorted body image. That's whay I love this website so much there is so much support and always someone who can relate..:)

Girl, you're gonna be there before you know it. The only thing you need to be concerned about is what's the first new article of clothing you're gonna wear.

I can definately relate also ive been overweight since I was about 6 also and even though I have always been the big girl ive always felt beautiful and proud of my figure until after I had my son 2 yrs ago and put on alot more weight and my body shape changed so im struggling now with confidence but at the end of the day I still know I am beautiful inside and out and so are you but I def. know what you mean about picturing your self small because ive been asking my self the same if im gonna look right etc. It is gonna be a journey for all of us but we can do it just stay positive and rock your sleeve and give it 110% percent and im sure you will do great like many others :D

I;ve been overweight since 6. Weight yoyo all the time during teenage years...

To make the decision to be sleeved means you love yourself enough to take a big step and change your lifestyle and change the way you look.

I'm 3 weeks post op, sometimes I wonder if i'll be the rare few who doesn't lose all the weight... and it scares me.

Whatever it is, if we follow the diet, (but not to the extend we deprive outselves), i'm sure things will happen. Slow and steady! Patience is crucial here. I keep telling myself if i lose it too quickly, it might rebound.

The key to this surgery is a healthier you! Healthier = happier!

Stay strong, and lets all do what we need to do now! Go for it!! I can't wait to reach the maintenence stage!!!

You go gal!

you're a beautiful girl and your new smaller body will just compliment your face! you can do this and I'll be right there with you as will everyone else on this site! tke lists of pictures and just enjoy the ride. Idk what your goal is but imagine slipping into your best friend's jeans (assuming she's small) or sharing clothes with your roommates! (these are just two things i am looking forward to!!!!) whatever your scale and non scale goals are, make the best of this time. we're young. we have great potential so let's make the best of it!!! :)

I know exactly what you mean. I do the same things and feel the same way. Its crazy to think that we are actually going to be able to live again!!! really live and not be in the "fat" bubble anymore. You will do fine...I am sure of it... as we all will!!!

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded!! I was starting to think nobody read what I wrote on here! :) Lol.

I am completely ready to be happy and healthy, and my attitude has always reflected my happiness and confidence.

I am worried about what I will wear once all my current clothes are too big..but I'm going to try to remember that they will probably still fit for a while, because right now they are just "tight" lol!!

Thank you Lolly2369, I definitely hope my new body will compliment my face!!

This will be the biggest change of my life and I am VERY excited to spend it with all of you guys!! I love this forum and it's a great support group!! So far, every question that has popped into my mind about the surgery (pre or post op) There has been an answer on here! :) Im going to TRY MY HARDEST to do my very best with this journey!!! Thank you all!!! :) :)

I'm still in shock when I'm NOT the biggest chick in the room! It's a complete attitude change for me. It's really strange for me NOT to shop in the plus size department, almost like I'm sneaking in the back door of some club I haven't been in for years.

A former schoolmate texted me something on FB several months ago. He hadn't seen a picture of me and wanted to know if I still had the "bangin' body" I had in HS. Yeah, he's a creep, but it's something that motivates me every day when I go to the gym. I want that body back, or as close to it as I can get. :) I'm still not sure I'll believe I'm that attractive when I get there, because I didn't know it at 17. This is truly a journey of self-realization.

I have been skinny and been called bones and anorexic and now I have been fat and been insecure and uncomfortable! I cannot wait to experience a normal "HEALTHY" weight. I agree with everyone else you have to love you at any and every size so you can be appreciative and not totally vain when we are shopping for a size 4, 6 or 8! Don't get anxious because that can cause disappointment and anxiety but enjoy watching your body change knowing that the weight you shed will never return! Failure not an option because you have you joined www.myfitnesspal.com? Since joining my weight loss has resumed, counting calories, Protein and carbs has never been easier! You can do this we are making obesity our you know what!!!!!!

LOL..well I cannot wait to sneak in the back door of that club!! I don't even go near the other sections..I go straight to the plus size, because its disappointing seeing all those cute clothes they don't make in plus sizes!

I'm looking forward to so many things..just being able to fit in chairs at work and other places comfortably..not reminding my friends to get a table bc I can't fit in most booths at restaurants. Oh I can't wait!!

And kcage, I haven't joined myfitnesspal.com yet! I am going to, my co-worker/friend told me she loves it and it helps her keep up with her intake of everything. Sounds very helpful!

Also, I've never been small..since childhood..and that's not my goal now. Just wanna be at a comfortable and healthy size! Goodbye size 20/22!! Lol