Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Post Op Troubles, Any Others?

Hello everyone! Well, one week post op and yesterday I got an unpleasant suprise. After being able to tolerate full liquids quite well (although not getting in nearly the amount of Protein you are supposed to of course), I had a few spoonfuls of cream of wheat and then a little while later I started sipping a Protein Drink and all of a sudden I felt this awful flushed feeling like I was going to get sick. I didn't get sick and the feeling passed rather quickly but when I tried another sip sometime later the same thing happened. Since it was Sunday I got the doctor on call who told me to go back to Clear Liquids. I cried like a baby all day which only resulted in a horendous headache last night. Darn hormones. :) Anyway, I spoke to my surgeon's assistant this morning and she told me this was normal and some people do experience this even if they tolerated the liquids fine the day before. She said to just keep going very slowly and as long as I am passing gas ( no problem there :) and not throwing up I should be ok. Today I have experienced the same thing only a little better than yesterday. Probably because I am going so slow. I keep wondering how I am existing on 100 calories or so a day! :0 :) Anyone else have this issue or anything similar?

Hello everyone! Well, one week post op and yesterday I got an unpleasant suprise. After being able to tolerate full liquids quite well (although not getting in nearly the amount of Protein you are supposed to of course), I had a few spoonfuls of cream of wheat and then a little while later I started sipping a Protein drink and all of a sudden I felt this awful flushed feeling like I was going to get sick. I didn't get sick and the feeling passed rather quickly but when I tried another sip sometime later the same thing happened. Since it was Sunday I got the doctor on call who told me to go back to clear liquids. I cried like a baby all day which only resulted in a horendous headache last night. Darn hormones. :) Anyway, I spoke to my surgeon's assistant this morning and she told me this was normal and some people do experience this even if they tolerated the liquids fine the day before. She said to just keep going very slowly and as long as I am passing gas ( no problem there :) and not throwing up I should be ok. Today I have experienced the same thing only a little better than yesterday. Probably because I am going so slow. I keep wondering how I am existing on 100 calories or so a day! :0 :) Anyone else have this issue or anything similar?

So sorry to hear what you are going through but yes I went thru the same thing. I was on clears for two weeks. Just go slow it will get better. What I was told by My doctor is that your brain has to catch up with your stomach. You must reteach yourself to eat and that takes time. Good Luck

I have intermittent recurring bouts of nausea that eventually pass with time. The early post op stages are very inconsistent and they vary with every case, that's why it is so important to learn your sleeve and do what is least objectionable to it. If something doesn't set well with you then stay away from it for a while. Anything new that you try should be tried in very small quantities to see if your sleeve can handle it. I know it's frustrating but it's part of the package deal that we are dealt. And yes, I am amazed, too, at how we can even survive on so little nutrition. The most important thing for you right now is fluids so that you stay hydrated. Your body has a reserve stored of nutrients, but not of fluids. If you can drink milk, that's a plus because it will help hydrate and it's high in Protein, too. You'll get through this phase because that's all it is... a phase. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the replies! Mentally I feel a lot better than yesterday. I think I am doing ok on fluids since (sorry if this is tmi) my urine is always either clear or very light in color. I am just taking it very slow. I am going to try some cream of chicken Soup for dinner and see if I can get a few spoonfuls of that in. Thanks again!

The most important thing for you right now is fluids so that you stay hydrated. Your body has a reserve stored of nutrients, but not of fluids. If you can drink milk, that's a plus because it will help hydrate and it's high in Protein, too. You'll get through this phase because that's all it is... a phase. Best of luck.

So true, Topgun.

Janet, so sorry you are going through this! Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement Nancy. I am doing better today. Hopefully it lasts. :) Now if I can get rid of this stupid vertigo I will be all set. I have an issue with vertigo and it came on right after surgery and is hanging in there. :( No spinning thank the Gods but I am very unsteady and can't bend down or to the side. I'll be glad when it goes, if it goes..

How are you doing on your journey through the valley of the sleeve? You had surgery a little over a month ago? Do you feel "back to normal"?

O yay I'm one week post op also was just curious if u might have got the sour stomach feeling kinda like the next day after a bad stomach bug? I can't seem to shake it.

How are you doing on your journey through the valley of the sleeve? You had surgery a little over a month ago? Do you feel "back to normal"?

Today is my 6 week, post-op anniversary. I'm doing well. I'm happy with my weight loss, my energy is fairly decent. I had a terrible time finding Vitamins that I could stomach, but that is all set now. I feel quite "back to normal." I go out to restaurants and eat with my family. I make it through my work days and can bike 20-25 miles at a time (although I'm mourning some of that padding from my butt that came in handy on those rides).

I hope you are feeling better. Be careful with those creamed Soups - even without chunks they may be very rich to tolerate. Keep us posted!

What are the Vitamins you have found? Mine make me nauseous now

What are the Vitamins you have found? Mine make me nauseous now

I take (the ONLY thing I've done against doctor's orders), VitaFusion gummies. Serving size is 2 gummies, but I take them 3 times per day (6 total). And I supplement with B6, B12, Biotin, and Calcium. The B's and Biotin are very small tablets and easy to swallow. Every chewable Vitamin made me yak.

Glad to hear you are doing well Nancy. I am doing better food wise. No more of that funny feeling I was getting. Of course I am not getting nearly enough Protein but it just can't be helped at this point. My only complaint is my vertigo which came on after the surgery and is hanging in there. Nothing to do but wait it out. I really thought I would have more stomach problems and not head problems. Oh well.. Hopefully it will be gone before I have to go back to work. Keep up your good work! I weighed on Monday (1 week post op) and I had only lost 2 1/2 pounds but I am not really worried about that. I couldn't possibly eat fewer calories and I am sure it will get better. Good for you on your progress. I am looking forward to that back to normal (ish) feeling in the future. :)