Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi Girls thank you for making me feel so welcome already. I live in Perth WA, and my is 18 March 2014. So not far. A little bet scared, I just started the shake and no cake diet lol. It is a little bit of a culture shock.

Hi Merry, I'm sorry to say that there isn't anything that will help. I am taking Silica tablets for hair, nails and skin. It has helped my nails and skin but I have still lost hair. Sorry to guve u unhappy news

Hey Bec - will we lose hair regardless of the amount of Protein you manage? I'm a month post op and managing on average over 60grams per day mostly b/c I'm terrified of the hairless lol!

Bec is right and there is not much you can do about losing hair. Take your Multivitamin and eat enough Protein and the hair that replaces it will be awesome though. Those special shampoos are a waste of money though. My Hair loss lasted from month 2 to about 7. I'm nearly 10 months out now. I did lose heaps but I have very thick hair so you couldn't really tell. For the others just work with your hairdresser and know that this too shall pass.

Hi Merry, I'm sorry to say that there isn't anything that will help. I am taking Silica tablets for hair, nails and skin. It has helped my nails and skin but I have still lost hair. Sorry to guve u unhappy news

Hey Bec - will we lose hair regardless of the amount of Protein you manage? I'm a month post op and managing on average over 60grams per day mostly b/c I'm terrified of the hairless lol!

Soontobesleeved I have made sure that I hit or exceeded 60grams Protein almost every day hoping it would mean I got to keep what hair I have, but have now found that's no guarante. I have done all I could, my hairdresser said to reduce the frequency of washing, try to let your own natural oils work for you and have some good nourishing treatments, she said it may not stop it but might help lessen the amount you loose. Guess I just have to wait and see how much I loose and rely on her to give me cuts that work.

hi there - yes I am afraid everyone is right - there doesn't seem to be any people that escape the hair loss! I too had very thin fine hair to start off with and mine got so thin you could see my scalp. I am happy to say it has grown back ever so slowly. I will be two years out from my op on July 18 and I could say my hair still isn't quite back to normal. I find that everything is dryer - hair, skin and nails - probably to do with a combination of my age, lower intake of nutrients and fat in my foods. So I still take silica, use moisturiser (buckets!) on my skin and hand and nail cream on my hands. I don't know if it makes a difference but it makes me feel better!

The good news is that I am having no problems maintaining my weight - if anything I have to watch I don't drop weight now - my sweet tooth that I developed since the op has seem to have gone and I am able to eat my 3 meals a day and don't need to snack so much - so this is my new normal now. I am sitting at 59kg with a BMI of 21 - fitting into size 12 tops and size 8-10 bottoms - I still can't believe it! I haven't been this size since I was 16!

I forgot to welcome all the new sleevers! This is a great thread and I have met some wonderful people on here. They say it changes your life but I didn't expect to meet new people make new friends as well!

Welcome to all of the new members, this is a great thread and there's lots of great support and advice here.

As far as the 'Hair Loss' goes, I must be the 'exception that proves the rule'...that's the story of my life in general, lol, because I didn't experience 'hair loss'. In fact, my hair is thicker and healthier than it has been in 10 years and I have even gone through Menopause in that time. It was my greatest fear, that I would have to cut my hair short or that it would become thin and lifeless.

I think it is just the 'luck of the draw', however, I also think that my Surgeon's post op regime may have had an impact on the health of my hair. I only had to do 2 weeks of 'free fluids' post op and then I was back on 'normal food' as tolerated. I was able to eat steak during my 3rd week post op. I am not suggesting that you ignore your Surgeon's/ Dietitian's guidelines, I just think that I was very relaxed because I didn't have the stress of a 'modified diet' for many weeks post op.

For all of the 'Pre -Sleevers', I hope that your pre-op preparation goes smoothly and that you have safe surgeries and speedy recoveries.

Best Wishes

Michele

:)

Hi everyone I think I am starting to loose hair, did anyone find any products that were useful to slow or prevent this. My Dr said to take Zinc so I have started on that, but I don't have a lot of hair to begin with so would like to keep as much as possible.

I think most of us have gone through that phase from arpund month 3, but nit sure anything really makes a difference. Rest assured it does grow back!!!

Hi everyone we are now at about 4 mths and I am 1/2 way to my goal and my husband is less than 2kg from goal. I have lost 28.5kg and he has lost just over 43kg. We are both a bit worried about how he will maintain at his goal weight as he doesn't want to go any lower than 80kg. Anyone have any ideas, I'm waiting to hear back from the nutritionist.

Hi aussmith - yes - maintenance is a bit of a challenge as it is a new mind set - my issue is keeping a balance nutritionally while trying not to lose weight! I can get away with eating crap and still maintaining but It isn't good health wise - I am happy I can maintain but just a bit concerned about nutrients - let me know how your husband goes as not many people seem to have stayed connected to the thread once they get to goal and hit maintenance. I would like to hear about his experiences.

Hi aussmith - yes - maintenance is a bit of a challenge as it is a new mind set - my issue is keeping a balance nutritionally while trying not to lose weight! I can get away with eating crap and still maintaining but It isn't good health wise - I am happy I can maintain but just a bit concerned about nutrients - let me know how your husband goes as not many people seem to have stayed connected to the thread once they get to goal and hit maintenance. I would like to hear about his experiences.

Thanks I will, just waiting to hear from the nut. I have been back through all the info we got from her and from what I can see it says at about 9 mths we should go to about 1200 cal. I'm guessing this would have been when the expectation would have been for us to get to goal or close to it. So if we don't hear back from her by the time he hits 80kg. Which I think will be the end of this week at the rate he is losing. He will increase to 1200 from 800 by including an extra snack and then see how that goes. Ahh I just have to make sure that I don't slip into the extra snack behavior as I am just over 1/2 way and still plenty lose. Will let you know how he goes.

The general guidelines I have heard are add about 200 calories every 3 weeks until you stop losing. You can easily add them with nuts, cheese, avocado, salmon, or other good fats without adding much bulk. You can occasionally add ice cream or chocolate too. This is how normal people eat.

The general guidelines I have heard are add about 200 calories every 3 weeks until you stop losing. You can easily add them with nuts, cheese, avocado, salmon, or other good fats without adding much bulk. You can occasionally add ice cream or chocolate too. This is how normal people eat.

Thanks Misty I was worried about the increase of 400 in one go so we will try 200 over 3 weeks and see how that goes for him and then another 200 after that if he is still losing. There will be no ice cream or chocolate in the house until I'm as close to maintenance as he is which I'm thinking will be another 4 mths if things continue to go the way they have.

Hi I am due to be sleeved on 29 April and live in victoria near Geelong great website

Hi I am due to be sleeved on 29 April and live in victoria near Geelong great website

Good luck Angell, how are you going with getting ready for the new eating habits.