Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi everyone. I thought I'd update. Monday coming will be 8 months to the day since I was sleeved. I'm currently down 45kgs! So I'm now sitting at 97.6kgs. I'm only just starting to see it in the mirror which is great. I had to go shopping for more clothes again and am fitting and looking good in size 14!!!!!! I've never been a size 14 that I can even remember lol. So I'll up load a pic in my new size 14 dress :) <br><br><br>

Good for you!! You look (and must feel) GREAT!!

I added lime juice and wedges and it really helped! Spent a fortune on limes. Now I can drink normal Water again especially when it is cold.

Misty I am the same. Could only stomach cold water initially. Now after 18 months handle from tap no problem although still don't like the taste of some water.

Hi everyone. I thought I'd update. Monday coming will be 8 months to the day since I was sleeved. I'm currently down 45kgs! So I'm now sitting at 97.6kgs. I'm only just starting to see it in the mirror which is great. I had to go shopping for more clothes again and am fitting and looking good in size 14!!!!!! I've never been a size 14 that I can even remember lol. So I'll up load a pic in my new size 14 dress :)

Bec you look fabulous and I love your new dress. Wow 45kgs is amazing. Make sure you get lots of wear from this dress as it probably will be too big on you shortly. You have done SO well.

you look wonderful Bec - I agree with Kelli - make sure you wear it a lot as you will really notice dropping down the sizes now - I made the mistake of buying too many new clothes too soon and now I have nice stuff that is too big! I never thought that I would ever have that complaint! Well done Kelli - you must be at maintenance now - we can catch up on our experiences with that when we meet on the 10th!

Edited by sueoco

you look wonderful Bec - I agree with Kelli - make sure you were it a lot as you will really notice dropping down the sizes now - I made the mistake of buying too many new clothes too soon and now I have nice stuff that is too big! I never thought that I would ever have that complaint! Well done Kelli - you must be at maintenance now - we can catch up on our experiences with that when we meet on the 10th!

Hi Sue, yes I suppose I am at maintenance although I really would like to lose another 2-4kgs. See you and Aussiegirl on the 10th in Sydney

Hey guys! Im done! Super tired today so just gonna sleep on today.

Hey guys! Im done! Super tired today so just gonna sleep on today.

Woohoo!!!! Congrats on the new life! Just remember to get ur Fluid in and walk as well. But do take it easy.

Hi all,

Sorry it has been a while since I have been online - I have kept up via email alerts though and you are all doing so amazingly well! Bec you look stunning! Congrats! The look on your face in that photo is evidence enough of the positive benefits of the sleeve - you look so happy!

To all the new sleevers - welcome and good luck. This is an incredible decision that you have made. It is not an easy one (although people - usually those who would have no freaking clue- will tell you otherwise), but though it is tough, it is worthwhile.

I have been pondering things lately, following a comment from my mother about missing the "old me" in some ways. Don't get me wrong, this is not a mother rant. My mum is great - both my parents are and I am so lucky to have them. But when I asked what she missed, she said that the old Lissa was "kinder". I pondered this a little and went back to her, to clarify. She said that I was more easy going before, less "firey" - generally seemed kinder.

When I thought about what this might look like in my behaviour, I realised that what other people in my life viewed as kindness, I have viewed as being a "doormat" - the person people could shit on (sorry for the language) and I would take it. I think I took it because of my weight and that although I knew I didn't deserve it, somehow I could be the "bigger" (ha ha) person and let it happen. I don't think that the people around me saw that the toll of me taking such constant derision, scorn and often plain bad behaviour was the steady erosion of my self esteem which I no doubt (in part) used food to self-sooth.

So, the comment from my Mum could have sent me into a bit of a tail spin. But honestly, I am kind of happy that I am no longer considered the person it is okay to dump crap on, that if you treat me poorly, I might react to that. That I feel that I am worthy of respect and dignity and that it doesn't come second to someone else's.

I suppose the reframe here is that despite some sadness over the new perception of my personality as being "less kind", I know that one of the things I secretly wanted for myself was to feel that I could stick up for myself when I noticed I was being treated poorly. As a final caveat to this, can I also say that I am not running around in towering rages or throwing things at people. It is more that I am now assertive with people in my life, both close family and acquaintances and I now have an expectation of being treated in a way commensurate with my self-worth. Another nice side benny of the "sleeve".

So how are things going for me weight wise? Well, I have been slowly losing since Christmas, or maintaining at about 78kg. I would like to lose another 10kg before I see my surgeon at the end of March. To that end, I am doing the Michelle Bridges 12WBT (Running program) with a friend. I am not following the food guide as I can not possibly eat that much food in a day but I am doing the exercise portion of it. I have substituted a sandwich at lunch with steamed carrot and broccoli though and trying to have fish for dinner most nights with either corn or peas. I still find that I can only eat about 1/2 a cup in a sitting so I have to prioritise things a bit. I am also trialling having half a banana for brekky with good results so far, as I think I needed the potassium. I am running four days a week and doing ballet two days, so on running days, in the afternoon I have some BBQ Shapes (in the little packets the kids have for school lunches) as I find it's good to have some carbs on the days that I run.

I am averaging about 500-600 calories on running days and about 400 on non- running days. This has dropped a bit because I am just having veggies for lunch. I am quite enjoying it though and think I feel better for increasing my veggie intake and decreasing the white bread I was eating :) God, I love bread! Doesn't do much for me though, sadly.

Since starting the new diet and exercise last week I have lost another 1.8kg so I hope that I can drop the last 10kg in the next 8 weeks. The exciting part though has been I bought and can actually wear a size 10 dress! A size 10!!!! I have been a 12-14 in most things for a while but it was very exciting to get the size 10 the other day. I will get someone to take a photo of me and I will pop it up :)

I have to admit, I have realised lately that I feel like a bit of a fraud at times when I think about my weight loss. Not a fraud in terms of losing the weight, but I guess in talking about buying clothes in sizes 10, 12, 14. For so many years I just couldn't even imagine it, though it was my dream. Now I get that little bit of a panic that perhaps it is all too good to be true and I might go back to being big. It's silly but it is a fear that I live with all of the time. Funny how the head stuff, even 18 months post op, is still the hardest thing to cope with :) Stupid brain!!

Anyway I have bored you all enough :) Hope you're all going well and I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Cheers, Liss

Hey Lissa!!

Thanks I feel fantastic and the best I've ever felt! I so understand what ur saying. I too have started to stick up for myself and people just think I'm not nice or kind as I used to be! I used to think why should I say what I think cause I'm not worth it. But now look out haha. My sister stopped talking to me for about 2 weeks cause I told her what for and she got pissed at me lol. I have to say I find it funny. People have to get used to the new us and deal with it!!

Great to hear from you Lissa - wish you could make our Sydney get together on Monday! I too understand what you are saying although mine hasn't changed me in that way. I was always quite assertive - actually verging on the aggressive because that was my way of protecting myself. I felt so bad about myself I kind of had the get them before they get me attitude - that is probably a bit extreme - but you get my drift! I am just so much more self assured - especially at work, that I think I actually might be a bit calmer and relaxed. No one has actually said this too me that but it is just the way I feel.

People definitely treat me differently - I get a lot more eye contact - especially from men in a work situation. I am taken more serously - I am not sure if this because of a personality change or the change to my physical appearance - probably a combination of both.

To my friends, I don't think I have changed - I am a bit too scared to ask just I case they say I have become a right b...tch!

It is interesting how your Mum perseaves you as being 'less kind' - I would definitely say you are probably more assertive rather than less kind. I thought you were a very kind person when I met you!

Wow - size 10 - you must be looking really slim now as you are a bit taller than me. I am size 10-12 on top (depending on the clothes) and 8-10 on the bottom - I know what you mean when you say the sizes - it is like a dream and yes for a long time I had that irrational fear that I was going to put it all back on!

You are still achieving some amazing weight loss - I think that 10kg will come off easily I f you keep that up! I am able to eat about a cup of food now so have cut down my Snacks between meals a lot. I must say that this has kind of happened naturally so finally my body is listening to itself - not having the extreme hunger that I used to have pre op certainly helps. Those hunger hormones certainly had a lot to answer for!

I am still maintaining at around 60kg and have finally stopped the sweet tooth - although I have become a bit partial to Costcos mini apple turnovers - Lord help me! Just another challenge to deal with. I think this will be an ongoing work in progress! I have let the gym go but plan to get back into it - did I tell you all how much I hate exercise!

One question Lissa - Do you still get the drippy nose when you eat - I still do but it is slowly getting better. Do you remember we were talking about this and you knew what caused it but we got distracted and you didn't get to tell me. It has always intrigued me as I couldn't see the connection to my nose - I also had a blocked ear when I first came out of hospital - kind of like what you get when you fly but just in one ear - that went away about 6 months post op.

So I can identify with you both, Lissa and Sue. On the one hand I was always the class clown because even though I was fat, at least I could make people laugh and that must mean they liked me, right? I have always had a "smart mouth" and I think it was my way of getting the edge and of keeping people at arm's length. I think I never trusted people's motivation for being my friend because I didn't feel worthy of their friendship. After all, I couldn't even keep my promises to myself to lose weight, and I hated how I looked. Surely I wasn't worth much?

At the same time I was really afraid of people not liking me. Because of that, I would always back down in am argument and always be the first one to apologize. I would get really derailed by negative feedback, for days or weeks. This kind of behavior was really obvious with my husband. I think in some way I felt like since I wasn't attractive (in my mind), that it was only a matter of time til he got tired of me. That's so weird because we have been married for 12 years and I was large the whole time. But it was more about my self esteem than reality.

Now, I think I have moderated both ends of the spectrum. I'm less of a smart aleck and less silly. I'm more confident and self-assured. I'm more likely to stand my ground but be less shrill doing it. I take criticism more thoughtfully. I feel like there is more room in my head because the body-hate was taking up so much of it. And the food thoughts too.

In arguments with my husband I am more likely to speak my mind I don't walk on eggshells. I'm more of an equal partner. Ironically I think our relationship is better and so much more "real". I feel more secure. It is weird but I also feel more like if something did ever happen and we went our separate ways (not that it is on the cards), that of course my world wouldn't end. I think it is a lot healthier.

I've also been able to take more risks at work and put my hand up for things I would not have dreamed of. It's the self confidence yes, but I also think thinner people are seen as more confident and competent. Even thigh of course it's not really true.

Sue, I love your new photo. You look so awesome and so glamorous!

My big news is that I am wearing those weird-fitting size 12 jeans that I bought on sale months ago. There is some muffin top but it's not obvious if I wear the right top. And the legs are a tad bit loose. I think if I went jeans shopping I would fit into some 10s but this is gratifying because I could not even close them 3 weeks ago. My weight loss has really slowed but I'm still changing shape.

I'm short so size 12 is still bigger than I want to be. I have changed my ticker to my surgeon's goal for me since it's so close, but I don't think I will be ready to stop there. I would like to get to at least size 8 and 25% body fat. I've added Zumba once a week and BodyPump (a weight training class) once a week, and running twice a week for 50 minutes and elliptical once a week for 50 minutes. I actually enjoy the exercise. Especially Zumba which I do with a friend and then we have dinner after

Thanks Misty - I was glammed up for my husbands Christmas party. We have another dress up function coming up for st Patricks day so I am looking forward to that - can't believe I actually look forward to getting dressed up and going out - for so long it was a stressful thing for me to do and I didn't enjoy it!

I saw my Surgeon last Friday and I am now at the lightest weight that I have been since the late '90's. I have lost 34 kg in 8 months, very happy WLS patient here. I also went clothes shopping today in Target and for the first time in what seems like forever, I had to shop in the 'Normal' section and I have bought Size 16 and 18 tops...I spent a load of money that I shouldn't have spent, but hey, I might not be here tomorrow although I'd better be, because now I have so many new clothes to wear I won't need to wash anything for a month.

Everyone is doing so well, keep up the good work.

Have a great day !!!!!!

Lots of Love

Michele

Ok Sydney siders it's time for a get together. I am coming from Brisbane and Sueoco and Aussiegitl and Zi have arranged to meet at The Glenmore in The Rocks on Monday night 10 February at 6.30pm. If anyone else would like to join us please let me know or send a personal message with your contact number. Depending in numbers we may need to book. See you soon. Kelli

Hi everyone - Don't forget our Sydney get together - tonight!