Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

I felt ok. Just uncomfortable. I was at home for a few days and then went to my mum's as my hubby had to go away for work. I just couldn't look after our 47kg puppy. I was not allowed to drive for about a week but didn't feel like I could until week 3. I too agree make sure u have everything u need!!

Also if u have any questions just ask

Good luck for ur op next week

Cheers Bec

Hi everyone, it sounds like everyone is making great progress post op. I am also having some success, I am at the lowest weight that I can remember since the late 90's. Mine has been a case of 'slow and steady', just like the Tortoise in the Tortoise and the Hare story. There have certainly been moments where I have doubted my decision and 'life' has gotten in the way a few times....the most recent 'crisis' was breaking my tooth over Christmas and now I need to have an implant done. It's not only the physical pain involved in having such major Dental work done but it is really going to leave a hole in my pocket at $5000+ .

Because I have cleaned so many dentures from patients in my years of Nursing, I will go to whatever lengths are needed to avoid the inevitable phase of needing dentures. :wacko:

Hey guys- just looking for some advice, I'm having surgery next week and just wondering if you can remember how you felt on discharge? I live alone and I'm hoping to go to my place (rather than having to travels to my family about an hour away). Dr seems to think it should be ok. Also how long til you all felt ok to drive? It's the one question forgot to ask - as to how long before that's ok...

Hi and welcome Soontobesleeved, I live alone too and I came home to just my adorable fur baby Rosie. I did have a lot of 'fluids' in the fridge before I went into hospital...but there is always, 'on line shopping' if you get really stuck. Also, the delivery person will actually bring the shopping inside and put it on the table so you don't have to lift it.

I also have an amazing GP and local Pharmacy and I let them know before my surgery that I was having the op and when I came home, I was able to phone my GP and ask for prescriptions if I needed anything more than I was given on discharge. My GP would fax the prescriptions to the pharmacy and then the pharmacy delivered the medications to me. Most pharmacies will deliver if you ask them.

I was able to drive about 1 week post op.

I hope that your surgery goes well and you make a speedy recovery so that you can achieve the results that we are all getting.

Have a great Day All. :)

Michele

Edited by one_elle26

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I should be ok - pre shop + online delivery!! What sort of prescriptions do you think I'd need to have filled on discharge?ni hadn't really thought about that... I've heard people talking about nexium and I guess maybe pain relief? I hadn't considered pain meds until the weekend, what sort of pain relief do you need post-operative?

You will get those filled when you are at the hospital. Don't worry about it.

I have been researching Multivitamins to make sure I have good ones. Australia has a lot less variety than the US. The best I have found that are available in Australia is the Blackmores sustained release with antioxidants. You only need one a day and it even has all your Iron. And the Blackmores Total Bone Health uses Calcium citrate which is the best Calcium for bariatric patients and has 600 mg so you only need 2 a day. Just remember not to take calcium and Iron together because they cancel each other out. I take one calcium with Breakfast, one with lunch, and the Multivitamin before bed. Otherwise the iron makes me queasy. Working so far!

The calcium I was using before I had to take two pills at a time and they were big.

Hey Mistsj - I'm going public at the QEII...will they still fill any scripts before I leave?

Hey Mistsj - I'm going public at the QEII...will they still fill any scripts before I leave?

They should do. Of course you will be billed but they will have a chemist on-site.

Hi and best wishes for your op. I drove within a couple of days if being discharged after 3 nights. Felt fine at home and didn't need any meds except panadol. Didn't even touch pain meds filled at hospital so they were a waste of money. Have plenty if Fluid varieties in hand including clear broths you can heat. Enjoy the wonderful journey you are about to embark on. I am 18 months post op and have lost 37kgs. Loving life and much healthier.

Hi and best wishes for your op. I drove within a couple of days if being discharged after 3 nights. Felt fine at home and didn't need any meds except panadol. Didn't even touch pain meds filled at hospital so they were a waste of money. Have plenty if Fluid varieties in hand including clear broths you can heat. Enjoy the wonderful journey you are about to embark on. I am 18 months post op and have lost 37kgs. Loving life and much healthier.
Thanks Kelliv! There's so much info about some people being in massive pain and others recovering really quickly so I was just confused! I know there is a thread about what to have but I'm shopping this weekend and planning for diet cordials, juice(although i worried about the acidity), soups/broths, yoghurt and maybe some fruit smushee things. Already have tons of diet jelly. Any other suggestions?I also read somewhere that Optifast is hard to drink post surgery because it 'swells'? Does that sound right to anyone?

Thanks Kelliv! There's so much info about some people being in massive pain and others recovering really quickly so I was just confused! I know there is a thread about what to have but I'm shopping this weekend and planning for diet cordials, juice(although i worried about the acidity), soups/broths, yoghurt and maybe some fruit smushee things. Already have tons of diet jelly. Any other suggestions?I also read somewhere that Optifast is hard to drink post surgery because it 'swells'? Does that sound right to anyone?

Yeah Kellie is so right about the pain meds. I was only on panadol with in hospital and out. The only reason I went to mum's is we have a 47kg bulldog and he loves to play to much.

Anyway I think ur list sounds about right for ur "food" lol. Just as long as u follow the plan that ur surgeon set out for u, u'll be right. I had lots of problems with plain Water so cordial was my life saver!! But now I can only drink my drinks if they are ice cold. But others can't drink it cold. So just see how u go.

What day to u have ur op?

Yeah Kellie is so right about the pain meds. I was only on panadol with in hospital and out. The only reason I went to mum's is we have a 47kg bulldog and he loves to play to much.

Anyway I think ur list sounds about right for ur "food" lol. Just as long as u follow the plan that ur surgeon set out for u, u'll be right. I had lots of problems with plain Water so cordial was my life saver!! But now I can only drink my drinks if they are ice cold. But others can't drink it cold. So just see how u go.

What day to u have ur op?

Tuesday next week! I'm pumped now but will prol be nervous as anything by Monday! Just trying to get everything organized so I can come home ASAP and recover in my own home! I'm having surgery at QEII so hoping the public hosp isn't too scary!!

my dietician advised not to have Optifast after the surgery, but others have been advised differently. I doubt it's because it swells and I wish now I had consumed more Protein in the early stages hence one reason Zi changed dietician after 6 months.

I find Optifast is less Protein per calorie and hence not worth it. Musashi high protein tastes better to me and is thin and not gluggy. I love the vanilla with a spoon of instant coffee. 30 grams protein and 170 calories!

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

I was having a lot of trouble with Water after the surgery, it jut tasted foul, like chlorine and dirt or someone's sweaty swimming pool!

Well I have finally found the solution. I have to buy bottle natural spring water then filter it through my Brita filter and chill (colder the better) then and only then does it taste good and I can manage it. Haha how ridiculous, I sound so stuck up to all those non sleevers!!

Hi all, hope everyone is well. I was having a lot of trouble with Water after the surgery, it jut tasted foul, like chlorine and dirt or someone's sweaty swimming pool! Well I have finally found the solution. I have to buy bottle natural spring water then filter it through my Brita filter and chill (colder the better) then and only then does it taste good and I can manage it. Haha how ridiculous, I sound so stuck up to all those non sleevers!!

I added lime juice and wedges and it really helped! Spent a fortune on limes. Now I can drink normal water again especially when it is cold.

Hi everyone. I thought I'd update. Monday coming will be 8 months to the day since I was sleeved. I'm currently down 45kgs! So I'm now sitting at 97.6kgs. I'm only just starting to see it in the mirror which is great. I had to go shopping for more clothes again and am fitting and looking good in size 14!!!!!! I've never been a size 14 that I can even remember lol. So I'll up load a pic in my new size 14 dress :)

post-174722-0-26079600-1391254067_thumb.jpg