Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Get My Damn Protein Shakes In....help

Hello,

So I posted a few days ago about struggling to get my Protein Shakes in

I'm supposed to do three shakes a day...and i'm struggling to just get 2 in.

When I drink them, I just get so nauseous. In between sips, I just can't get rid of the disgusting flavor. I feel like a nasty film covers my entire mouth....my tongue, lips, teeth. The only way I can get rid of it is to vigorously brush my entire mouth...tongue and all.

I'm drinking "pure protein" shakes.

I just got a sample of powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup - the smell of it alone made me nauseous and I had to sit down for a few minutes. I decided to try a sip....big mistake. I immediately spit it out and washed my mouth out.

I'm going to do my best to drink my protein...but what happens if i don't get enough in? I'm struggling so bad, and I don't have my next dr appointment until the 14th...and they refuse to see me any earlier'

I plan on when I can eat mushie's....to eat as many goddamn eggs as possible to get my eggs in that way - i just can't do these freaking Protein Shakes.

On another note, i'm down 35 pounds since 4-24-12!

Thanks!

Protein gives you energy plus it develops lean muscle forcing your body to burn fat for energy and not actual muscle... Without it you will lose muscle and fat at the sametime which will cause a bad reaction. In most cases extemu saggy or loose skin...

Your best bet is to find a Protein shake that you can stomach or something you can mix the Protein powder into to void the taste that makes you nausea.

There is no way you can escape eating protein... After the sleeve it's 65% of your diet

For me, personally, it's the smell that I hate. I"ve found if I refuse to breathe while sipping, I don't mind it so much. Might help you...I don't know.

I've been using the Pure Protein Shots (you can get them in the 25 or 42 gram bottles and there are other brands too, just check at Target or GNC). I just pour one in a glass in the morning (it's a little thick and sweet) and mix in some cranberry juice to make a full glass (8 or 9 oz) and I just work on that all day, little sips here and there. I'm at the point now where I probably only get 50 grams of Protein in a day, but my blood work is all good at 7 months out. But it's easier than a shake in my opinion.

The only Protein Shake I can handle is the Oh Yeah! Protein Shakes. And, the chocolate one is too heavy and thick for me, so I only get either the vanilla or Cookies and cream (they also have a banana creme but I haven't tried it). I had the same problem..I was always nauseas and couldn't get the protien down. Eventually it gets easier...

have you tried the 3oz Liquid Protein shots? they have over 20 grams in just 3 oz

I'm so hearing you. I was fine with my Optifast shakes for weeks and weeks, but now I've had to add unflavoured Protein Powder to them (to get the extra protein) I want to throw up everytime I have one. I don't know how to get around this....other than to put a peg on your nose!

Some ideas to try - unjury vanilla with orange crystal light - goes down fairly smooth. the Protein shots are small, so even though they aren't great, they are 2.5 ounces, just a small amount for 26 gm of Protein. I also heard A LOT of people like Premier Protein powder or RTD sold at costco and sam's. Good luck. You gotta get your protein in.

Oh, and nectar Syntrax comes in a lot of flavors too. Some fruity.

I understand what you're going through.

I started putting Protein powder in other things. For instance, I love pudding. I mix Protein Powder in with pudding and eat slowly. I use the unflavored can as much as possible. I have some that I bought from costco in vanilla, but it gets a little too sweet for me. Just Google "Things to do with Protein powder". You'll hit all sorts of recipes. Good job on all of the weight off...Just an FYI I figured out that a one gallon of milk weighs 4.3lbs. So if you imagine you weight loss in terms of gallons of milk strapped to your body...you have lost 8 gallons! Yay!

Protein drinks are kind of like shoes. You can try a lot, and maybe they're horrible or maybe they're OK but most people eventually find that "just right" one for them.

You can disguise - heavily - the Protein Drinks as well. The only time I drink them straight is if I'm doing one for Breakfast. I'll drink a Premiere Protein in the car if I don't think I'll have time for Breakfast when I get to work. They're not the best, they dry my mouth out and have a horrible long-term aftertaste, and unless I wipe my mouth off they leave little flaky crunchy things on my lips (dried drink, maybe, but I don't think I'm that messy of a drinker). Other than that, it's SF syrups, PB2, etc. out the wazoo. A little vanilla powder, some Splenda, low sugar/acid OJ, ice, and vanilla pudding and you're got a virtual clone of an Orange Julius. :) DaVinci and Torani have an amazing amount of SF syrups out there. Some are pretty sucky and others are amazing (sucky = chocolate, amazing = salted caramel).

I've tried a lot and my favorite so far are EAS Carb AdvantEdge (powder & RTD). I'm going to try the Isopure Fruit Drinks as soon as I can make it to GNC. Isopure powder tastes like rotten ass, but I've seen several people saying the Fruit Drinks are pretty good.

You can bake with protein powder, lots of people don't realize that. About 6 years ago when I first got my lapband there were two other ladies who lived in my area that I met who were also banded and we'd do little protein potluck things - make different protein ice creams, protein "cookies" (modeled on an old Atkins treat - they're not really Cookies, but you can freeze them and tell yourself that). Protein brownies, etc. If you're on required shakes that won't help much, but if you're just trying to meet a base protein level - get creative. You can add protein to just about anything.

Be wary of protein "shots", protein jellos, 1 or 2 oz concetrates, any protein that looks like a test tube, etc. They are usually made of gelatin/collagen Proteins and are pretty much crap. (All Proteins are NOT created equal).

I just got some Pure Protein Shots that do come in a test tube like bottle. Why are they not good? I've been mixing them with juice and just sipping on it during the day hoping that extra 25 grams of Protein will round my eating out.

Queen when I drank them straight they were so gross lol. But cutting them with juice is a great idea.

I just didnt expect it to taste that bad. And thats coming from someone who eats very exotic stuff

I had the same problem with Protein drinks at first. To me, they mostly all came in chocolate and was too thick and I used to get nauseated. I went on this site and wrote the names of various shakes suggested and went to testing them. I found Premium, bought at Sams Club was a good one. Not too thick and not too sweet. Like chocolate milk almost. I wish I could find it in other flavors. Also, GNC has strawberry shakes in GNC brand which is good. Not thick and not too sweet & they come in vanilla, and chocolate. You can sample them in the store. I wasn't too crazy about the vanilla but your taste might be different than my taste. Good luck.