Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleevers For Over A Year - Please Read

I had a surgery date of May 29th, but my family is so concerned about the surgery that I agreed to try one last diet (Blood Sugar Solution) before I went through with it.

The thing my family keeps telling me is that they have talked to other sleevers and that I will *never* be able to "sit down for a regular meal with my family again".

Okay, I get that from a portion-size perspective. Duh. I get that I won't have the variety of bread and Desserts that I'm used to. But my understanding from my surgeon is that one to two years out, I will be able to eat almost anything healthy in smaller portions.

If you've been post-op for at least a year, could you share a typical day of meals (including quanitity) with me? If someone sits down at the dinner table with you, is it obvious that you have had surgery because you eat so radically differently from everyone else?

I've been watching you tube videos of people 1 to 2 years out. Most that I have seen do not have a lot of restrictions on types of food, amount of food is small but I am thinking I will just eat slowly (supposed to anyway) and not feel excluded at family events. I am presurgery but had just watched a video from someone 2 years out when I saw your post, so that I would let you know that the videos can be helpful.

I eat pretty much whatever I want, just smaller portions, now that I'm at my goal. People who say these things about "not being able to sit down for a regular meal with my family" have no idea what they are talking about. If "regular meal" means tons of food and 6,000 calories, then they need to redefine the term.

I'm on my phone so I'll be short.

I'd never delay my surgery for someone else. I think you should 100% do what you want and feel necessary. It's your life. I don't know your family but it sounds almost like they don't want you to be eating a little but while hey are oohing out. " misery lives company". Of course. Don't know of that is true but it just seems selfish to me that hey don't want you to do something that could be IT. Diets do not work long term. You want long term.

You do something for you!!! Please don't do a dirt for someone else. You re setting yourself up for failure. :(

I hope I don't sound snarky, I care about you. And I'm having to defend myself a lot lately. It's maddening.

I am only four weeks out, but I went to a wedding and had a small amount of salad, chicken, and potatoes, and it wasn't obvious to anyone that I had surgery. I even ate a whole cupcake later! (Special occasion exemption:-)

Last night, I ate a whole Chalupa from Taco Bell. Now I know I shouldn't be eating that really because it is not that good for me, and I probably should have eaten only half of it because I was really full when I was done. The good news is that, in the past, I would have eaten two Chalupas, a taco, a apple empanada, and then chocolate later.

The point is here that, instead of eating huge amounts, you will actually eat like a normal person. You should actually be looking at everyone else and the huge quantity that people eat, not the other way around where they are looking at you for the small amount you eat. You are about to eat like a normal person, and your family should want that for you, and they should want you to be healthy and not overweight.

Diets don't work, and I think we all know that. You may lose weight on one more diet, but chances are really good that you will not keep it off. I have 30 years of dieting and weight gain under my belt, and so I speak from experience.

I agree that watching You Tube videos are very helpful. Check out some of these ladies: GastricSleeveReviews, AmySDMOM, luvenit1979, scneaux, cecelialane, vsgtanya2011. They have all documented their journey, including what they eat now.

Lastly, even though you may never eat the huge quantity of food that you may now have with your family, that doesn't mean you can't sit down with them and talk with them and enjoy them and let them enjoy you. You will adapt and eat slower. The focus shouldn't be on the food anyway; right? It should be on each other. I am sad for you that you don't have the support that you need. I would hope that your family would be behind your decision to get healthy.

Actually the one I just watched was scneaux 2 years out.

Errr..... right. I know I am not over a year out, but I really want to reply to this.

That is not true, for me at least. I think it is how you approach it. We get fat from eating too many calories and not burning enough. Why would I want to eat like I used to? I am trying to hit goal and I want to be able to maintain my weight loss. I have always had problems with this. The sleeve helps you learn new habits, so you can take control again.

Right now, I am making homemade black bean corn salsa, homemade baked tortilla chips, grilling swai, grilled onions and peppers, and making refried beans! Serious? My boyfriend and I love home date nights. I normally eat my Protein and a little of the veggies. I might have a couple chips and a bite or two of salsa, but I don't want to eat a whole entire basket of chips like I used to. So I make some corn chips for him and I eat a couple of the low carb tortilla chips. We still really enjoy eating together, and my sleeve hasn't really affected our relationship much except he has dropped 30 lbs by trying to eat better.

Yes, what massindex indicates in hios post above - it's WE who are eating the "regular" meals and almost everyone else that is eating abnormally - that is mass amounts of food and gaining weight. YES you do "stick out" when you don't finish a meal, or when your plate is only half full instead of being heaped with food. Last month we had a little get together, had gerilled hamburgers and brats.

I actually ate a VERY BIG meal of one hamburger patty (no bun) with onions, cheese, catsup and tomatoe, I had a brat, a little spoonful of pork and Beans and another small dolpu of potato salad. It took me about 1/2 hour to eat and I was VERY full. After relaxing and talking to family for about 1/2 hour I had a small brownie and scoop of icecream for desert. That was a very BIG meal for me and a special occasion. I bring it up becasue it fits your failies "definition" of sitting down and having a "normal" meal. Everyone else had 2 hamburgers with Buns, 2 brats, loads of everything else. I did "stand out" with my meal but then again I stand out from them now becasue all of them are fat and I am thin.

I too had high BP, blood sugar issues (actually hypoglycemia which still indicates pancreatic issues) excessive sweating, knee problems, back problems, nerve issues in my neck and shoulders, issues with seating (that is NOT fitting in a seat), inability to do the things I wanted to becasue I was morbidly obese. almost 1 1/2 years out I am down 170 pounds and feeling VERY VERY good. 4 days a week I swim almost 2 miles a day, then I come home and ride my bike on the city trails for up to 15 miles. It is SO good to just be able to do this, whereas before I could not. I was killing myself with my weight, now I am truly LIVING becasue of the sleeve.

It's your choice but it was an easy and obvious one for me.

I am 14 months post op. I am tall and can definitely eat like a normal person. I generally eat 1800 calories and have since about 8 months post op. For Breakfast, I can eat an egg mcmuffin (minus the top bun) and a hash brown with no issue. I can eat most of a six ounce steak and about half of the sides. I can eat a small cheeseburger and a small French fry. I never appear "odd" or "out of place" in a restaurant. Actually, I was much more odd back when I ate an appetizer, salad, huge entree and dessert.

Granted, there are times I wish I could eat more and even joke with my husband that "I wish I had my old stomach for this meal" but it's something I can acknowledge as a result of my former food addiction with a smile and shake of my head. I do not regret my decision. Rather, I'm thankful that I finally have an effective tool to stop that self-destructive behavior.

This is merely my experience. Best of luck in your decision.

Amanda

Minkle.....

Your family is concerned, but they are so going to extreems on you. My friends and family love coming over to my house to eat because I cook delicious food that is good for them. They eat here so much that they lose weight.

I am 30 years old and I still go to the bar, I eat out more than I should and I date. I am now eating 10-15 bites per meal 3-5 times per day.

When I go to a restaurant I order what I want (no starch/double veg) I also ask for a box with my meal so I can put the majority of it away. I have to clean my plate (my head problem), so a box is the way for me to do that and be good.

Don't let them discourage you... this is your life and in 6 months they will be asking you about your eating because it will effect them too.

Good luck!

Minckle,

I am now 22mths out and I eat like a 'normal' person with regards to quantity.

I am not good in the morning with food, but if I do have an early Breakfast before I leave the house for work it will be a piece of wholemeal toast and half a cup of tea. If I miss breakfast at home, I will eat a piece of toast at break or I might have a small packet or assorted nuts or dried fruit; sometimes a Protein bar.

lunch can be anything from a ham salad, left overs from the night before - mince, pork chop, chicken ... usually with some green veggies or red/orange peppers.

Tea will be similar, Protein based with greens, sometimes a poached egg or omlette (sp) with cheese or ham.

In regards quantity I can eat, in one sitting, anything from 5-8oz at a time to feel full... and this will depend on the consistency of food. I generally eat three times a day and wait for 30 mins before I drink.

I do eat treats now and again and there is no food that I can't tolerate - I have been lucky in that department. I chose the sleeve because I wanted to eat a normal, healthy diet... to eat to live not live to eat and so far so good.

It has come to be a habit now, a lifestyle if you like. When I see the amount of food others eat, it seems way too much! I am more than happy with my sleeve and its capacity... I chose what I want to eat and on the most part I enjoy my food now without feeling guilty.

As far as your family are concerned, they are probably worried about you and that is understandable... my parents were really nasty to me when I told them that I was going to pay a lot of money to get my stomach cut away. In fact my mother refused to discuss the operation with me. Did that stop me? Bloody hell no!! I had this done for ME!

You have to make the decision based on what is best for you...

disregard all the wonderful success stories, all the horror stories and work out what you need to make your life better, healthier and happier.

Good luck

Ditto amytuggle!

Keep in mind that if your family is worried that you won't be able to consume as much food because of the surgery that this is probably part of the reason why you are looking to loose weight. How would your family treat someone who just didn't have the same appetite they did at the dinner table? They should be happy for you that you are wanting to take a step for a permanent solution to a problem that can have life long health consequences instead of worrying about how much you can eat at the dinner table. I'm sorry if I come across cold, but that is very self of them in my opinion. Do what YOU know to be the right thing, put YOURSELF FIRST!

Good luck!

I'm on my phone so I'll be short.

I'd never delay my surgery for someone else. I think you should 100% do what you want and feel necessary. It's your life. I don't know your family but it sounds almost like they don't want you to be eating a little but while hey are oohing out. " misery lives company". Of course. Don't know of that is true but it just seems selfish to me that hey don't want you to do something that could be IT. Diets do not work long term. You want long term.

You do something for you!!! Please don't do a dirt for someone else. You re setting yourself up for failure. :(

I hope I don't sound snarky, I care about you. And I'm having to defend myself a lot lately. It's maddening.

I will be only 5 weeks out on Tuesday but I have to reply to this thread.

You should think long and hard about yourself before putting off your surgery. It's a long process to get to the point where you have a surgery date and you will just end up having to start all over again.

I eat meals with my family every single day. I can only eat about 1/4 cup of food but the only one who notices is me. Just put less on your plate. Even this early out, the only things I can't eat are bread and raw vegetables. Nobody notices me skipping those.

The whole point of this surgery is to make you eat less. I question that your family wouldn't want that for you. Why would they care how much you eat as long as you are there with them?

Good luck with your decision.

"We eat to live not live to eat" I love the comments on "normal" its so true. I don't feel guilty when every blue moon I eat a cheese burger cause what I used to east was WAY MORE lol a "normal" meal which is a palm size peice of meat and 3 portion on veg. Does anyone in your house eat just that? Eat what you can and do it slow you will finish at the same time. I dredded meal time in the beginning but now Its completely normal ppl still giggle about my portion size but I think ehh look at me now I'm happy so : p

I'm only 3 month out but I can eat whatever I want just in much smaller portions of course. I still go out to eat with my family. Although I'm done way before them and have to pace myself. Its all good I feel normal as could be ;)

Sent from my iPhone using VST