Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band To Sleeve. Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be?

I had lap band surgery in Mexico in 2007. I had a very good experience with my trip to Mexico for the surgery and felt that it was an excellent option for me as a lower weight, self pay patient.

Now, a little over 4 years later I am hoping to revise to the gastric sleeve. While I have had good results with losing weight with the band(currently at 158lbs), I find that I have a difficult time eating the healthier foods that I want to. With the band I have a very difficult time eating fruit, lettuce, or fibrous veggies leaving me very frustrated! I have had lots of reflux that I never had before surgery and I have had a very hard time finding anyone in my area to follow up with for fills and haven't actually had ANY followup in 3 years.

I feel like by keeping the band that I am sitting on a ticking time bomb. I originally went with the band because it was "reversible" and "minimally invasive". However, now the constant fear of getting a stomach bug, slip or erosion is prompting me to research a revision.

I would love to hear from others who have had revisions regarding your experience with restriction and any food tolerance issues. Please share the good, bad, and ugly! If I had known then what I know now about the band I'm not sure that I would have done it.

Also, because I had my first surgery in Mexico, I will be doing the same with the revision and while I was not nervous with the band, I am more concerned about the sleeve as it is a much more involved procedure. What to do if you get home and have complications? Just go to the ER and pray that the surgeon on call is willing to help the crazy person who went to MEXICO for surgery?! Obviously, having been to Mexico for my first surgery I have seen first hand that the facilities are top notch and cleaner that the U.S. and that the skill level of the Surgeons is excellent, but people are quite judgmental and opinionated with their own preconceived notions. I am not close enough to go back to Mexico in case of emergency. So if you have had a complication after getting home what did you do?

I had my band done with a Doctor who doesn't have much revision experience so I am looking at having my revision with Dr. Aceves. In looking at his statistics he is one of the more experienced with revisions. Has anyone been to Dr. Aceves for the revision surgery specifically, and what was your experience?

Also, If anyone has been through a pregnancy after VGS, I would love to hear about your experience, as I am 25 years old and most definitely see that in my future.

Wow, that turned into a very long winded story! Thanks in advance for any information you can give. It is much appreciated!

Hi Kate33! I can't really answer your questions, BUT I currently have a Lap-Band (that I hate), I got it in Mexico (which I loved!) and I am 26 years old! I haven't run into too many "younger" people yet, so it's nice to see you here! I have some of the same questions as you. I have a date, and a surgeon, but I am still apprehensive! I am scheduled for August 11, in TJ with Dr. Almanza. I had my first surgery in TJ with Dr. Rodriguez and had a great experience. I have thrown up so much that I need an endoscopy this Thursday to look at scar tissue in my esophagus... I was banded in August of 2010. I have found a place here in Seattle who will do patients from Mexico. My American doctor told me that in this economy it would be stupid for weight loss surgeons not to see patients with procedures done in Mexico. (Many were trained by the Mexican doctors!) He said it is just losing them business to turn away potential patients because they were banded or sleeved in Mexico. He said initially he thought it would change patients' minds about going down to Mexico, but it hasn't deterred it--and it's much cheaper.

Anyway! Nice to find you on here, if you'd like to talk more or exchange stories, here's my email: erikaj@aol.com

<3 Erika

If you have had a chance to read some of the threads on here you will hear lots of revision stories. In summary, no food intolerances, little portions of healthy food. I love it that I can eat a bit of salad and so far no problems with any veggies. Sleeve is just a whole different experience.

You are wise to seek a surgeon with lots of revision experience.

I can tell you first hand that it is totally worth it! I had the lap band only for 4 months before I got that dreaded thing out and revised to the sleeve. With the sleeve you can pretty much eat anything once you're stomach will tolerate it. I actually have that naturally full feeling that I never got with the band. There is no maintenance such as fills and no worry that you've made your band slip by throwing up. You do get an uncomfortable full feeling if you eat too much but it's nothing like the heart attack feeling you get with the band. I am so dissapointed that I put my body through 3 surgurys I should have just chosen this one in the first place. With the band I lost about 20 lbs in those 4 months. With the VSG I've lost about 50 and it's been 2 months. I think that if you are considering it, it is a good choice.

Hello Kate!

Dr Aceves did my revision almost a year ago. I went through 2 bands and had a ton of scar tissue. Because of all my scar tissue, Dr A was very conservative on my postop diet and I was on liquids for over a month. I had absolutley zero complications and am thrilled w/my sleeve. I have no food intolerances and actually crave Protein. Your experience w/the band is like so many others' experience and I know many who have permanent damage. I am still taking daily meds for my acid reflux from what the band did to me (never had acid problems before the band).

My only regret it is keeping that band in as long as I did...wish I'd have realized what it was doing to me and had it out sooner.

I can't say enough good things about Dr Aceves and his staff. He was able to fix my mess of an esophagus/stomach and make it into a sleeve. I know there are many of us that have similar stories and Dr Aceves has helped us all. I was so skeptical about so many people saying such fantastic things about Dr A and I truly thought they were being paid!! I think we just understand each other and want to give back to the people that encouraged us. You can't do better that Dr Aceves and you will LOVE your sleeve!!!!

Best wishes to you (and Erika)!!!!

Erika

P.S. I am just 37...not THAT old :)

I was banded in 2009 and revised to the sleeve this month. Keep in mind that yesterday was only my 3 week mark, and I am already a lower weight than I ever was after 2.5 years with the band! Other than real sugar, I haven't had a single thing so far that disagrees with me, even broccoli. With the band, most things would come back up. Except for sliders, of course. I spent a year throwing up half of everything I ate with the band. It was awful. So far with the sleeve, I'm completely happy. Even the recovery was easier. I was walking within 4 hours of the surgery, NO gas pain, nothing. I felt back to normal before I was even a week out.

I've only had my sleeve two weeks but it really is a whole new world. I've gone 3 weeks without throwing up, which is a record with the band. Even though I'm only on full liquids I could have issues iwth the band when it came to eating something like yogurt. I can have Breakfast in the morning without have to down 24 oz of Water first to make sure food could even go down. I just feel like this is what weight loss surgery was supposed to be all along. I had my band 3 years but I was miserable with it. Fills, unfills, re-fills, re-unfills...neverending vicious cycle. I will never recommend the band to anyone. Sleeve ALL THE WAY!

Hey Kate33

Like you I had the band in 2007, but I had very little weight loss an average of 15 pds in which I eventually gained double the weight. The restriction with the band was terrible I no longer enjoyed foods I loved and was consistently blosted, felt gassy and felt pain at my port. I finally decided it was time for a revision to the sleeve in which I decided to do in Mexico (which made me very hestiate) but it has been the best decision I've made towards becoming health. My surgeon was dr. Ponce de leon, him and his coordinator Trish were great and very attentive. While its only been about 4 Weeks I'm feeling great I'm down 35 pds and have yet to have any negative reactions to things I could eat. The only thing I would bring to your attention is the healing process. When I had the band I was back at work within 4-5 days, but now its been a little different. My healing process has been slower since most work was done out of my bigger incision where my port once was and after I got home I drained for about a week out of that incision. I'm taking my full 5 weeks to return to work making sure I'm fully recovered and my incisions have healed. Granted everyone is different and not all bodies react the same. But if I had the choice to do it all over again I would have taken the same road. Hope this helps.

I had my band in Jan. 2007. I had issues from the start, even though I lost around 45 - 50 pounds. I had my revision done just 2 months ago and all I can say is, WOW!!!!! What a difference! I feel better, eat better and have had zero complications. If any of you have a Facebook page, there's a great page called "Failed Lap-Bands and Realize Bands" and there is so much information about issues with the band and most of the folks on there have had revisions or are in the process of getting one. I would highly recommend it!

I had my Realize band surgery June 2009. Dr Rodriguez did my revision at Star Medica on 4/27/12. I had a wonderful experience with Dr Rod and his staff.

I am just a month out so I haven't been really adventurous yet. However, whatever I eat, it sits comfortably in my stomach, not my throat! I haven't yet slimed or thrown up. So far, I haven't had any acid reflux issues.

I didn't really notice but I was eating a lot of soft foods, Soups and sliders with the band. If I had a lunch or dinner date, I would have to scope out the menu in advance just to make sure there was something that I could eat that I wouldn't get stuck on.

With the sleeve, it's not an issue. I am adding in veggies and salads back into my diet. Although, I haven't tried any fruits yet. But my goal is to focus on getting to my goal weight before I start adding in more fruits.