Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little about myself: I am 28 years old and I have been struggling with my weight all of my life. I am tired of being the girl that has a pretty face. I hate how I feel about myself. I have been toying with the idea of doing some type of weight loss surgery for the last few years. For years I was encouraged to get the lap band, which I seriously thought about for a while. Now, after the long term effects of it have come out, I am so glad that I did not do that surgery.

In May of 2011 I went to the bariatric orientation at my local Kaiser office. That is when I first learned about the gastric sleeve. My insurance requires everyone to go through a 12 week class before getting any type of weight loss surgery. The days and times that the classes were on conflicted with my work and school schedule so I wasn’t able to start the classes. At this point I wasn’t ready mentally to go through with any type of surgery. So I started counting calories and exercising. In four months I lost about 26 lbs. When I started school I stopped counting calories and didn’t make time for exercise.

Now I have gained back each pound that I lost along with an additional 6. I have come to the decision that I now must take drastic measures for my health before I develop any major health problems, while I am still young(ish).

On April 17, 2012 I went to a second orientation at Kaiser (my first referral expired). Now I am making time for myself. I start my 12-week class on Tuesday, May 1st. As long as I make each class, which I will, I will be done with the class in mid-July. I should meet with the surgeon late July/early August and hopefully have the gastric sleeve done by mid-August.

I have to quit smoking… I started that journey, and it is way harder than I thought it would be. With the future ahead of me, I am determined to get this done. After all, I AM WORTH IT.

I have been lurking around for about a week and feel like I have learned so much. I can see what I have to look forward to and I am excited.

Yes you are worth it and glad that you realized it. Good luck on your journey. It is a big decision but one that I do not regret making. You will love the end results.

I am happy you feel so motivated to take your life back. Welcome to the group!

Sounds like you're on the right track and know what you want! Full steam ahead to your success. :)

Hello, story sounds similar except I am much older than you. I went to a seminar in 2011 and now two days ago for hopefully mid august surgery. I am also determined to make time for me. Good luck. I am on a low carb, high Protein diet and have lost almost 10 lbs in a few weeks. I agree the lapband is not a choice I want to make. I feel confident the sleeve is a good fit for me and my goals. Keep on track and keep in touch.

Congrats! This has been a great decision for me. ;)

Great Attitude!!!! You are Worth it... we all are!!! I too have considered getting the surgery for a long time now and I'm so glad that things are finally in the works. It was a hard decision for me because I am a self pay patient, but in the end I determined that having better health and living longer is worth any price.

Welcome, Welcome you sound ready for the start of your journey.

I think you look hot now, guess your going for smoking on fire, and all around California babe. I know how you feel with the yoyo thing and I have always been known as the fluffy funny guy.