Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 1 month post-op, and as I travel the road towards "regular food", I'm thinking more and more about salads. My NUT told me this would be one of the very last foods added back to my food inventory.

When could you eat salads, at what point in your progress could you handle them, what kinds of issues did you have, if any? Any feedback is appreciated.

I'm not supposed to eat salads until at least eight weeks out. I guess it's a bit too rough for our system until then.

I'm in the middle of my third month and I just started eating salads. Haven't had any problems yet.

I tried them at 10 weeks. Did great with a spring mix at home with avocado and chicken. Then had a salad out with iceberg and the typical radicchio etc and it did not sit well. I am sticking with the spring mix or baby greens for awhile I think but everyone is different. My plan allowed salad 6 weeks out but I was afraid to eat for awhile.

I had some low carb sushi that had some carrots, and cucumbers it totally did not sit well. I'm not supposed to have any raw veggies until week 6. I guess that's what I get for trying those foods before my time.

My surgeon didn't really give me much of a guideline on them (that I recall) but I was totally unable to eat any type of lettuce or greens until somewhere around five or six months out, I think. It was a long time. Fibrous veggies also gave me grief (i.e., PAIN) and it took me a long time before I could eat them raw.

If you try it earlier, do small and slow bites. Honestly, I ate some lettuce on a few bites of hard shell taco at three or four months out and felt horrible afterward. Lettuce is really, really hard for some reason. I tried all sorts of greens and nothing sat well for a while so it's completely up to your body's ability to handle it.

~Cheri

I have been eating salads since 7 weeks out...just decided to try them...no issues!

6 months for me..but my Nut was very srtict. If I eat them too often (even now 16 months out) like more than 2 times a week I have a bit of an upset tummy.