Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post-Op Is This Normal?

I had surgery this past Wednesday. I woke up soooo weak and dizzy. When I got back from a doctors appointment I was starving. Since my doctor gave me better pain meds I feel pretty decent. But it seems that I cannot go without food any longer. So, in a 5 hour period I ate:

3 oz Protein Drink

12 oz Water (in small sips)

1 cup of the liquid from a can of Progressive Light Beef Stew

quarter cup of prepared potato flakes with gravy (probably less)

half of a sugar free popsicle

I don't feel any worse than I did before I ate all of this. I've been receiving sharp pains since yesterday in my chest (my doc feels this is swelling in my esophogus) and pain in my new stomach even when I just sip water. But I am afraid I may stretch out my new stomach.

Is this too much food for my first week? Will I hurt my new tummy? Is anybody else hungry on day 5?

Cynthia

I had surgery last wed. also. I seem to have to force myself to eat or drink anything at all because of the discomfort. I ate about the same as you but it took maybe a little longer. My concern taking in enough fuids and Protein. I think you're doing well. Best of luck.

Hi Topgun,

Thanks for your response. I am concerned that I am not eating enough Protein, but I can't seem to find any Protein drinks that don't taste like powder on my tongue.

Cynthia

At this stage, make sure you get the fluids. The Protein will come and you'll find your way. For me, it was greek yogurt. Never liked it before the surgery but my taste buds changed and now I love it.

Right now you really need to focus on liquids. My doc told me not to worry about Protein for a while. The pain may be a gas pain. I felt like I was having a heart attack at one point from it. Remember to walk and sip, walk and sip.

OMG same thing here and I had surgery last Wednesday !!! I had very bad discomfort and short of breath and pain today. I too am getting hungrier. I progressed to strained broccoli cheese Soup tonight mixed with some chix broth...it was sooooo good seeing as I have been on straigh clears since I left the hospital. I walked around and did so much I am dizzy and exhaused and still have that pain come and go ...hand in there, we will get through this ! BTW...I get Body Fortress Protein at Walmart, it is VERY tasty ...mix it with milk, taste like a milkshake... Hang in there I did see today I have lost about 5 lbs since Wednesday so a little progress plus I lost almost 10 lbs pre-op diet wise. I forgot to document weights before the journey began so I am not completely accurate ...NOW I am keeping tract though :)

Today has been a little better. I'm so afraid that I might over-eat. The pains in my chest haven't gotten any better but I do have an appt with my surgeon on Friday. I only pray they don't decide to re-admit me to the hospital. I don't think I can do it all over again.

Today is day 7 for me. I've not really been truly hungry yet, but I'm no where close to being able to eat that much even if I were hungry. I've been managing 3 - 4 tbls of food per day, at the most. I'm eating with a toddler spoon and 1 - 3 level spoons is the most I can eat at a time. I'm guessing that's just under 1tbl.

I've not ventured too far from yogurt, hummus, pudding, cottage cheese, strained Soup and thinned out refried Beans so far. Today my diet broadens to include things like deli meats and eggs, but I just can't imagine the volume just yet.

Most things hurt my stomach until yesterday, even Water. For whatever reason I have a much easier time with ice chips.

When I had my lapband there was a definite pressure/pain when food was caught around the esophagus. It's often compared to a "golf ball" being stuck, though mine never felt that nice. :) For me it would also refer around my hips and belly button.

HTH

Hi Topgun' date='

Thanks for your response. I am concerned that I am not eating enough Protein, but I can't seem to find any Protein drinks that don't taste like powder on my tongue.

Cynthia[/quote']

That's my big concern now not enough protien. Can't seem to find one that is tolerable they all make ill I want to eat real food like Beans, or meat. I have a week and half left of clears I hope I can do it.

My doc put me on "purees" today. I refuse to put anything but smoothies through the blender. But I am allowed soft scrambled eggs and flaky fish as well. Tomorrow I've decided to begin a food journal in order to keep better track of my Protein and calorie intake. I hope that will help me get a handle on my intake. Recently I'm barely eating anything. It just hurts to eat much of anything.