Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused About How To Choose A Qualified Surgeon? Check This Out!

Having surgery in a foreign country is a tough decision to make. Knowing what surgeon to chose, was even harder. After combing these forums and the internet, something kept drawing my eye to a particulara surgeon, the letters FACS behind his name. members of the American College of Surgeons are referred to as "Fellows." the letters FACS mean that the surgeon's education and and training, professional qualifications, surgical competence, and ethical conduct have passed a rigorous evaluation, and have been found to be consistent with a high standards of the College. Out of 78,000 members, only 4000 are in other countries that is the United States.

Doctor Ramos Kelly, is this Tijuana surgeon. it speaks volumes to his character and professionalism that he would undergo such riggers to be a fellow in this college.

Great to know, makes me feel a bit more confident in my decision to go with Dr Kelly on May 10th!

It does offer some mych needed reassurance to us, as we are making a serious life choice, and want what's best for us snd our families.

I agree that being a fellow for ACS is a great thing, I don't think it should be the only thing someone should look at when choosing a surgeon however. There are wonderful surgeons in Mexico such as dr. Ponce de leon, Alvarez, Rodriguez and Aceves, I have heard nothing but great things about them. Yet they don't all have FACS by their name. FACS membership starts with an application and not all surgeons, specially in other countries choose to be part of their membership. So even though I agree that is wonderful that Dr. Kelly chose to become a fellow for ACS, I believe that all of the above mentioned surgeons could be members also if they chose to. Just my two cents.

Dr Aceves is a fellow in the acs. In no way was I implying that the other drs werent good per sey, just that this is just another feather in Dr Kellys cap. And no, its not a sole purpose to make your decision on, but it does offer some comfort in a maze of drs, and most people have no idea what those letters mean.My question is, if they could, and they aren't, then why? They cater to a huge American clientele, why wouldn't they want to put their credentials to the test? I was asked to post about this, so I did. You made a choice that was in your best interest, so did I :)

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your post, only giving my opinion in the subject. From personal opinion not everyone joins every organization there is, some lack of time, lack of decire or they just don't feel is beneficial. Some choose to join one or many, its all a matter of personal opinion. In countries such as Mexico these orgaizations mean little, in the USA we put more weight in them, so I agree they cater to American clientele so its good when they do things to make Americans more at ease, but lack of doing this does not equal they are bad in anyway. Most of the ones I mentioned (if not all) belong to organizations in Mexico because this is where they live and practice. We in america often live under the impression that we have the best of everything and that if is not american it must not be good (I know you all don't believe that since many of us are going to Mexico for surgery). I personally would still go to mexico for my surgery even if my insurance had covered it, I believe Dr. Ponce is more experienced than most of my local surgeons and thus will provide me with better care. That is true about most Mexican surgeons, they just have been doing the surgeries longer and with more frequency.

Oh absolutely. Mexican drs have been doing this surgery for about 7 years while it was only approved in the US in 2008. They are more skilled at it. We are all in good hands!!!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz of Obesity Control Institute is also a member of the American College of Surgeons plus his center has been given the honor or being a "International Center Of Excellence" . Not only that, Newsweek honored him as one of the top 15 Bariatric Surgeons in America...

Choosing a surgeon is a big step..... My sleeve surgery is with Dr. Ortiz on April 16th and I could not be more confident in my decision.....

But as some of the fellow posters have said... there are plenty of qualified surgeons to choose from... totally your call!!

All the best!

Dr. Ortiz was on Oprah years ago.

All of these guys are awesome! I've considered Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Garcia, Dr. Alvarez, Dr. Aceves, Dr. Kelly - and finally just picked one! We are all in good hands, I believe!

Debly and All--I can't agree more with your posts on narrowing it down to several top Mexican Surgeons and the point that they have had much more experience with the surgery than most American Surgeons is a valid point. Originally, I was going with Dr. Ortiz, then Dr. Kelly then I finally settled on Dr. Aceves. They are all good and all capable!

I am still having trouble narrowing it down. I have been lurking for a long time now and I think it is time to make a decision.

I love your name!!!! What can we do to help? I finally just made a decision as stuck with it, because honestly, most of the Mexico drs are really good! So pick one and don't look back. :)

I'm going to Dr Kelly, along with GoofyKathy on June 14. Wanna join us? :)

InASmallCar, this is a big decision that can will change your life forever. Its definetly not one that can be taken lightly. Feel free to private message me if there might be anything that I might be able to assist. I have done a lot of research about different mexican doctors and I would would be happy to share what I found. Good luck on your search!

I love your name!!!! What can we do to help? I finally just made a decision as stuck with it, because honestly, most of the Mexico drs are really good! So pick one and don't look back. :)

I'm going to Dr Kelly, along with GoofyKathy on June 14. Wanna join us? :)

Okay, I will join you! How do I reach Dr Kelly? I have had no response to my message to his hotmail account. Advice welcome!

Paula

Ontario, Canada