Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here, Coping With Leak/abscess

Thank you NiseeG! Are they Clear liquids? I am not advanced to full liquids (i.e. milk yet). So if these are clear and ok to swallow then woo hoo, prayers answered. Those Protein bullets are 42g to 50+ depending on the type you buy and I was doing what I could so I wouldn't lose my hair but omg last night I couldn't do two a day (they are so syrupy and thick tasting to me). And now choking down vit Water with Protein powder... ugh. C'mon milk stage! lol... ty for the tip! I have to end this note with... thank God though that I'm better than I was and thank you for your help, concern, support and prayers!

Oops! Guess I should have said this earlier - yes, they are clear lliquids! And after tasting thse "shots", they might actually taste good!

Glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. Keep the updates coming.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you....Praying for your speedy recovery...Yes, you have had one of the worst nightmares....I'm an RN, so I know exactly what you are talking about....I'm concerned why some have leaks and others don't...Obviously, yours is from an infection at the staple site which has spread to other areas,,You are on good meds...Please keep us posted..........

Sending healing vibes and prayers to you. I'm si sorry you are struggling. Hoping every day gets better.

As someone who had a leak and spent three weeks in the hospital, I too was scared about the medical bills. My hospital bill alone was $200k not including anything from radiology. I have United healthcare PPO and only ended up paying $470 for the hospital out of pocket. I am glad that you got your PICC line out. I still have mine in for 15 weeks and you have to extra careful and clean the lines vigilantly or you would get an infection.

Don't regret the surgery!! Although you went through a lot, it could have been a lot worse. That's what you got to keep telling yourself.

Try the Isopure Protein drinks. They're not the best tasting but they were the only Protein I could tolerate after surgery. A 20 oz bottle has 40 grams of protein and they count toward your 64 oz of fluids. So 2 bottles a day nets you 80 gms protein & 40 oz Fluid. Vitamin shoppe carries them. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

I have 2 boxes...I thought they were the nastiest things I'd ever spent $87 on....I would buy sample packs before buying an entire case.

I have not tried but hear nectar whey drinks are fairly tollerable.

Good Luck Sleeve Sister good Luck!

Thank you everyone for your posts... I sound like a freak'n cheerleader or something lol... I am always so thankful for all of your posts, truly. You guys make me smile, TY TY TY TY TY and may you all be blessed for your kindnesses.

My apologies... I haven't checked in here as I have been on conf calls, "working from home" but not taking on tasks just yet. Not till this "hunchback of notre dame" aka "botched boob job" of a piggy back drain (I stuff it under my shirt to go "out" in public so those are the two names my family and my dr. have given it lol thought you might have a chuckle at my fortune/misfortune he he) but once this drain comes out, then I will take on work as before.

TODAY was a good day but I wish I had checked back here sooner. Grrr. I was just gonna say 'screw it' (pardon the language) on the Protein. OMG those bullets now, I open one and smell it and immediately my throat contracts and I just have to breathe and keep swallowing not to wretch. :( I WILL try the Isopure. You know I used to work out a LOT but I never did whey because I didn't need to gain. I remember seeing IsoPure but never really looked at it. So ty for the tip!

For the lady that is the RN that posted.... bless you for saying what you did. I've had a few ppl in my ears about 'you sure you dr. didn't mess up'. Yes negative nellies, I am sure (pppthhhh). My dr. is wonderful and I would recommend him to anyone and everyone - he's had the surgery himself and he has years and years of experience. He's really been a champion to help my worries on the medical bills and has been ever so patient with my sometimes anxious, overly worried, crazy self. He's truly got my confidence and faith (and I generally don't give that easily).

I have to admit that I've stopped taking my flagile by mouth. Side effects, enough said? (I believe I will be "allergic" to this forever more....or so might be my story... I hate lying but omg the side effects of this stuff, jeesh)

I'm still on Clear Liquids (since 3/5 essentially) and worry about losing my hair. I'm taking Biotin 5000 mcg a day but.... lord knows it grows hair right where I didn't intend. lol I am also losing still very fast. I don't mean it as a complaint, but it scares me is all. I lose about 5 lbs every two days. I'm almost 5 lbs from going under 200 (jeesh). I never intended to go through it this way, but then again, it's so weird to be this small again (so quick). I just hope I can advance my diet soon and that I can make it work.

I truly appreciate you all.... your input, your support, and for the time you spend in responding. Thank you guys so much. Hope you all are having a ROCKING week!

Thank you everyone for your posts... I sound like a freak'n cheerleader or something lol... I am always so thankful for all of your posts, truly. You guys make me smile, TY TY TY TY TY and may you all be blessed for your kindnesses.

My apologies... I haven't checked in here as I have been on conf calls, "working from home" but not taking on tasks just yet. Not till this "hunchback of notre dame" aka "botched boob job" of a piggy back drain (I stuff it under my shirt to go "out" in public so those are the two names my family and my dr. have given it lol thought you might have a chuckle at my fortune/misfortune he he) but once this drain comes out, then I will take on work as before.

TODAY was a good day but I wish I had checked back here sooner. Grrr. I was just gonna say 'screw it' (pardon the language) on the Protein. OMG those bullets now, I open one and smell it and immediately my throat contracts and I just have to breathe and keep swallowing not to wretch. :( I WILL try the Isopure. You know I used to work out a LOT but I never did whey because I didn't need to gain. I remember seeing IsoPure but never really looked at it. So ty for the tip!

For the lady that is the RN that posted.... bless you for saying what you did. I've had a few ppl in my ears about 'you sure you dr. didn't mess up'. Yes negative nellies, I am sure (pppthhhh). My dr. is wonderful and I would recommend him to anyone and everyone - he's had the surgery himself and he has years and years of experience. He's really been a champion to help my worries on the medical bills and has been ever so patient with my sometimes anxious, overly worried, crazy self. He's truly got my confidence and faith (and I generally don't give that easily).

I have to admit that I've stopped taking my flagile by mouth. Side effects, enough said? (I believe I will be "allergic" to this forever more....or so might be my story... I hate lying but omg the side effects of this stuff, jeesh)

I'm still on Clear Liquids (since 3/5 essentially) and worry about losing my hair. I'm taking Biotin 5000 mcg a day but.... lord knows it grows hair right where I didn't intend. lol I am also losing still very fast. I don't mean it as a complaint, but it scares me is all. I lose about 5 lbs every two days. I'm almost 5 lbs from going under 200 (jeesh). I never intended to go through it this way, but then again, it's so weird to be this small again (so quick). I just hope I can advance my diet soon and that I can make it work.

I truly appreciate you all.... your input, your support, and for the time you spend in responding. Thank you guys so much. Hope you all are having a ROCKING week!

So glad to hear you're feeling better. Make sure to get the bottled Isopure. I know what you mean about the bullets! I was the same way with the Protein powders after my surgery. I used the powders before surgery, but couldn't get them passed my nose after. Yeech! I still supplement with Protein drinks daily (I'll be a year out next month - YAY!). I've used Pure Protein cans (available @ Vitamin Shoppe) or the GNC brand, Total Lean, once I passed the clear liquid stage. Not as much protein (35 & 25 grams), but they're cheaper than the Isopure. Keep up the good work.

OMG those bullets now, I open one and smell it and immediately my throat contracts and I just have to breathe and keep swallowing not to wretch

Ugh, Protein bullets can be nasty. I've already tried a bunch of flavors in preparation for the surgery. So far the "clear Niagra grape" and "blue raspberry" from Proasis are the best tasting that I've found. Of course, that's a relative term. :P They're tiny (2.9 ounces) and have 25 grams of Protein (not 50 like the ones you have). I have to ice them completely down, and sometimes I'll add a wee bit of Water to make them more palatable, but I can get them down.

I hope you find something you can stomach very soon.

4ALongerLife, I am sorry you are going thru all of this, I am terrified of going thru what you are going thru but you are right is a risk we all do not want but do know is a possibility going in. I hope you will feel better soon! I live in Fort Worth and am often in Arlington and Dallas, if there is anything at all I can do for you (cannot offer money since I am a medical student with no money LOL but I would be more than happy to visit and bring you a meal (clear liquid) or two) please let me know. God bless you and may you have a speedy recovery!

I am going for the Isopure RTD bottles today. I tried to find my Vitamin Shoppe receipt for the bullets and I can't find it ... grrr. I didn't realize they will take those back. Call me cheap but I'd try to return them if they'll take them. At about 3.50 a pop, yeah I was going to try! Now to balance start of the day, working from home and going for the Isopures. I am encouraged by your posts... thank you so much!

And VST Addict, you are too kind. I'm ok.... my first post ... I admit I was down and feeling sorry for myself. But each day, I get a little bit stronger. And thank God every day for that (even though I'm praying any leaks are healed up, please lord....). But ty so very much for your kindness!

What a road you've been on! Like others, I will be praying for you. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and while reading your post I had the feeling you will get through this and be stronger for it.

So, after getting admitted for all this crapola - the hospital had electrical problems?!! REALLY - Geez, you must have wondered can this really be happening!

Did you have a leak test the morning after your first surgery? I was wondering if the leak occurred after a negative test? Hugs to you

lol yes ma'am, on 3/19 someone hit a pole near Baylor Carrollton in the mid day and the lights flickered and I think that's when their generator came on. that evening, it was storming and again the lights flickered. i just think i'm apt to murphy's law... go figure.

and yes they did a leak test after my surgery and it wasn't there (or wasn't spotted). i know when i went in for pneumonia they did another leak test upon my er admit and nothing was seen. when i was admitted with excruitiating pain due to the leak/abscess, the radiologist that was there (Dr. Siegler) had me drink the first half cup that they dilute but then he said wait a minute, let's not dilute this barium and can you do another sip for me? i did and voila he saw it.

I am going for the Isopure RTD bottles today. I tried to find my Vitamin Shoppe receipt for the bullets and I can't find it ... grrr. I didn't realize they will take those back. Call me cheap but I'd try to return them if they'll take them. At about 3.50 a pop, yeah I was going to try! Now to balance start of the day, working from home and going for the Isopures. I am encouraged by your posts... thank you so much!

And VST Addict, you are too kind. I'm ok.... my first post ... I admit I was down and feeling sorry for myself. But each day, I get a little bit stronger. And thank God every day for that (even though I'm praying any leaks are healed up, please lord....). But ty so very much for your kindness!

Take them back anyway. The manager at the store I go to knows me by sight and let me return something I didn't have a receipt for. Who knows? They may offer you store credit, but you're already planning to buy more.